GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,114
0 members and 1,114 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to strivingsf
Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
COM-MOE-DEE Sorors, just plain COM-MOE-DEE...

It seems that we have to be voir dired to ask questions of our interests... I think that is unfair...

So here are my next questions with some insight for the lazy interests that are unable to do appropriate research... You all know who you are...

As a SERIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sisterfriend for Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., do you think that answering questions on this board and topic is the time and place to make a decision about pursuing membership into my Sorority?

As a SERIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sisterfirend for Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., is there a difference as to how you display or represent yourself publically before my Sorority from undergraduate versus graduate?
Question #1
YES, I beleive if you can not answer the questions on a message boards then how can you be prepared to answer a member questions face2face.

Question #2
It SHOULD NOT make a difference whether it's graduate or undergradute but that not that's not realistic because it is perceived that graduate members are more about the business and undergraduate members are about parties.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strivingsf
Question #1
YES, I beleive if you can not answer the questions on a message boards then how can you be prepared to answer a member questions face2face.

Question #2
It SHOULD NOT make a difference whether it's graduate or undergradute but that not that's not realistic because it is perceived that graduate members are more about the business and undergraduate members are about parties.
So strivingsf, are you telling me that Serioussssssss sisterfriends "see" posting on this topic on this board a "trial run" so that they can better prepare themselves to answer questions from my Sorors in person?

Your answer was only one way of reading my question...

The other way of reading my question is of timing, should one be actively making a decision to want to pursue my Sorority by posting here or should they have already made that decision before EVER posting and just review different topics and be a silent observer until they have made their decision to pursue membership into my Sorority?? Mind you, what do you think my Soror's perspectives are regarding this serioussssssssssssss matter???

As far as this misperception goes between my undergraduate Sorors versus my graduate Sorors, should either level of my Sorors be disrespected simply due to age and what they do from a Seriousssssssss sisterfriend actively pursuing membership into my Sorority? Think very long as to how you would answer that questions. Beware... Be careful... Craft your words precisely...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 01-14-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Sisterfriends, Sisterfriends, Sisterfriends

Which leads me to my next question:

You've put your best foot forward in trying to get to know members, going to events, Rush, etc. My sorors seem to slice you up every chance they get. You are discouraged and demoralized. What do you do now? [/B][/QUOTE]

Go to my sister and cry, Get Mad, Yell, "How dare she?", etc. Then pick up my heart and keep trying?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So strivingsf, are you telling me that Serioussssssss sisterfriends "see" posting on this topic on this board a "trial run" so that they can better prepare themselves to answer questions from my Sorors in person?

Personally speaking yes I would consider answering questions on this topic a "trial run" one can never have too much preparation. It also shows a sisterfriend what she really knows and what she doesn't. In a face2face you don't have the opportunity to write a question down, research and then come back and post the answer.

Your answer was only one way of reading my question...

The other way of reading my question is of timing, should one be actively making a decision to want to pursue my Sorority by posting here or should they have already made that decision before EVER posting and just review different topics and be a silent observer until they have made their decision to pursue membership into my Sorority?? Mind you, what do you think my Soror's perspectives are regarding this serioussssssssssssss matter???
[/color]

I think it depends on the individual sisterfriend, some are here because they have made their decision and want to interact with memberfriends to gain a greater insight into the life of someone who has already been granted membership.
Are you speaking of sisterfriends responding to this particular topic or sisterfriends who respond to thread on this board?

As far as this misperception goes between my undergraduate Sorors versus my graduate Sorors, should either level of my Sorors be disrespected simply due to age and what they do from a Seriousssssssss sisterfriend actively pursuing membership into my Sorority? Think very long as to how you would answer that questions. Beware... Be careful... Craft your words precisely...
NO, neither level of memberfriend should be disrespected by someone looking to join that particular organization. Perception can be a dangerous thing because perception leads to an unrealistic reality for that person.

Last edited by strivingsf; 01-14-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Next question...

As Seriousssssssssssss sisterfriends who HAVE made up their mind to pursue XYZ organization, do you think that other Fraternities and Sororities from NPHC, IFC and NPC or locals silently read this thread?

If any SF fails to think that others, outside of my Sorors of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. actively do read this thread can you please explain why you think that way?

This here matter... Is a SERIOUSSSSSSSSSSS matter... A very SERIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS matter...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-14-2005, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Next question...

Quote:
As Seriousssssssssssss sisterfriends who HAVE made up their mind to pursue XYZ organization, do you think that other Fraternities and Sororities from NPHC, IFC and NPC or locals silently read this thread?

I know that members of other fraternities and sororities actively read and post on the various topics on GC message boards.

If any SF fails to think that others, outside of my Sorors of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. actively do read this thread can you please explain why you think that way?

This here matter... Is a SERIOUSSSSSSSSSSS matter... A very SERIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS matter...
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

In Light of recent events..

If a member invites you to a small community service event, would you feel free to invite other interests to come along, without informing the member who invited you that you had done so?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: In Light of recent events..

Quote:
Originally posted by j_du561
If a member invites you to a small community service event, would you feel free to invite other interests to come along, without informing the member who invited you that you had done so?
No I would not invite other interests I would feel it was up to the member to decide which interests to invite to the event.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SummerChild
Here's a question for interested women:

What do you know about Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (besides the mushy: it's a great organization, full of great women who do great work in the community)?

I mean, what do you know about the organization's Purpose? Do you even know what our current Targets are? What they have been?

I believe the purpose of the organization is for members to be advocates for their communities. The current program theme is "THE SPIRIT OF ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA" and the goals are the black family, education, the arts, health and, economics. I am not sure if I have the past target information correct. Building the Future: The Alpha Kappa Alpha Strategy: Making the Net Work. the goals are math and science awareness, support of senior citizen programs, engage in the political process, minority health, development of a business roundtable.

I ask b/c there are many an interested woman who does not even know our Purpose yet claims that she wants to be in The Sisterhood. I ask: how can you claim to want to be a member of an organization that you know nothing about. There will be a great deal of investment of time and money if you are ever brought into The Sisterhood so it is prudent to really try to research and figure out what you might be joining one day.

Also, why do some interested women think that it is ok to be too busy to attend our affairs and service projects (those that are open to the public) yet, she wants me to believe that when she becomes a member she will suddenly be able to balance everything going on in her life with our affairs and service projects?

I think with proper planning and flexibility a balance can be created.

Finally, ok Sorors, you all know that I'm a little frustrated so please bear with me, why do MEDIOCRE interested women think that it is ok for them to vie for membership? There is NOTHING mediocre about Alpha Kappa Alpha or its members so why would we want MEDIOCRITY?

SC [/B]
Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
What is your full name and what school do you go to?

If you could choose your own linesisters would you? What would be your criteria?

IN a minute. A person who can think on their feet, someone who is dedicated and a person who will study.

If you knew FOR CERTAIN that you would NEVER have the opportunity to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, would you go ahead and seek membership elsewhere?
NOPE

What role, if any, have greek stereotypes played in your interest/selection of a sorority?

If you knew FOR CERTAIN that in order to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha you would HAVE TO spend an extra year in undergrad would you submit an application and stay in school that extra year or continue your studies/graduate on time and hope to be invited to a graduate chapter? Why or Why not?

no i would not spend an extra year in school. the main reason being finances, if being a member is for me, things will work out on the graduate level.
If your mother, for whatever reasons, forbade you to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha would you do it anyway (assume that her opinion CANNOT be changed)? Why or Why not?

*more questions/hypos forthcoming* [/B]

Last edited by strivingsf; 01-15-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Honest answers only please

Quote:
Originally posted by LADY_1908
If you had an opportunity to attend a "closed" meeting (ie. Boule, Regional Conference) COMPLETELY undetected; would you go?
Yep.

If all membership requirements were TOTALLY waived and ANYONE could be member, would you still want to be an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman?
Yes because if something is free then people usually don't want to be a part of it the minute a dollar amount is associated with it immediately people think it has value.

If the fees associated with membership were $10,000, would you still pursue. How about $25,000?
NO

If you KNEW FOR A FACT that another woman being considered for membership was a Liar, would you say anything? And why or why not .........How about a Thief?.......................How about a "homewrecker"...........................
No i would not freely give information to discredit someone else. Because if I know then other people know as well and it would just be a matter of time.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Do more research...hmm...ok

This is what I've come up with so far...

From aka1908.org:

Alpha Kappa Alpha will not tolerate hazing. Hazing has been prohibited in AKA since the organization was founded in 1908. We firmly believe all current and prospective members have the right to be treated fairly, with dignity and respect - and we enforce their rights by punishing any violation of our hazing policies.

In 1999, AKA reaffirmed its total opposition to hazing with the publication of a tougher anti-hazing policy, and the implementation of new procedures to identify, investigate and punish incidents. AKA is the only fraternal organization with such a tough written policy against hazing.

Anyone who violates our hazing policy risks suspension or permanent expulsion from the organization.

Hazing Defined:

Hazing is defined as a series of acts that include, but are not limited to:

Behavior that is directed against any individual(s) for the purpose of causing shame, abuse, insult, humiliation, intimidation or disgrace.

When I showed my granny (a golden soror) this thread, she shook her head and said "it's a shame we have sorors showing out like this on the internet instead of working for the sorority. instead of bullying those girls, they should be leading by example".

I don't know what the point of all this is, but the girls who are trying to intimidate interests on this group are making fools of themselves. If you post your indiscreet, if you don't post your a coward...make up your mind. It's a good thing you ladies already have your pearls, because you definitely don't have your dignity.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Anybody else see a movie called SIMONE with Al Pacino

OK the gist of the movie is that Al Pacino is this aging has-been movie director and makes this HUGE comeback with SIMONE, an actress he "discovered". Well guess what?....SIMONE is a computer generated image.

For those who are wondering what the heck I'm talking about this for.....LET ME SPELL IT OUT...................

For whatever reason this thread has taken a life of its own. Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive that like the "Ask An AKA" thread answering questions was optional.

So if you don't like a question...DON'T ANSWER IT!!!...its that simple.

I know I'm not Dr. Phil but if you are:

1. Arguing with a person on a keyboard that you don't know
2. Crying because someone answered you real mean
3. Tattling because......well I don't know why
4. Name calling

THEN GET A LIFE IT AIN'T THAT SERIOUS

PS......For the most part I've found some of the answers interesting (especially to my questions).

OK Carry On People...

PSS...HAPPY FOUNDER'S DAY SORORS!
Old 01-15-2005, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Re: Do more research...hmm...ok

Quote:
Originally posted by simplyamused
This is what I've come up with so far...

From aka1908.org:

Alpha Kappa Alpha will not tolerate hazing. Hazing has been prohibited in AKA since the organization was founded in 1908. We firmly believe all current and prospective members have the right to be treated fairly, with dignity and respect - and we enforce their rights by punishing any violation of our hazing policies.

In 1999, AKA reaffirmed its total opposition to hazing with the publication of a tougher anti-hazing policy, and the implementation of new procedures to identify, investigate and punish incidents. AKA is the only fraternal organization with such a tough written policy against hazing.

Anyone who violates our hazing policy risks suspension or permanent expulsion from the organization.

Hazing Defined:

Hazing is defined as a series of acts that include, but are not limited to:

Behavior that is directed against any individual(s) for the purpose of causing shame, abuse, insult, humiliation, intimidation or disgrace.

When I showed my granny (a golden soror) this thread, she shook her head and said "it's a shame we have sorors showing out like this on the internet instead of working for the sorority. instead of bullying those girls, they should be leading by example".

I don't know what the point of all this is, but the girls who are trying to intimidate interests on this group are making fools of themselves. If you post your indiscreet, if you don't post your a coward...make up your mind. It's a good thing you ladies already have your pearls, because you definitely don't have your dignity.
Once again, who is intimidating who?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

LMAO

Simplyamused....
1. Tell your G-mom, Happy Founder's Day! LOL
2. Welcome to GC!
3. Ask her to teach you when it's appropriate to use the term "soror" verbally or in print... (it's called Protocol).
4. I guess you "put us in check"? Chile, pleasssssseeee!
5. Everyone has his or her opinion, including
Soror (insert your G-mom's name here).

Quote:
don't know what the point of all this is, but the girls who are trying to intimidate interests on this group are making fools of themselves. If you post your indiscreet, if you don't post your a coward...make up your mind.
I assume you have been a silent observer for some time, what made you NOW decide to join this discussion? However, I would not be surprised if you were a GC verteran who has a NEW account... If you have been a veteran of GC, you would know the tone of THIS forum. Who are you to "remind" MEMBERS of what is stated on the AKA website? That's wonderful that your grandmother is a Golden member of the organization! However, it is NOT relevant on the AVE, unless she is about to join our discussions.

I take full responsibility for both THREADS. I started the 'Ask an AKA' THREAD. Historically, the moderators have not allowed a tete a tete, if you will regarding the LIFE of an AKA member. From there, the "Ask a SF" THREAD emerged. Why not? SFs ask AKA questions, why can't AKAs ask SFs questions? I do NOT apologize for the responses given. Because ONE, there are way more 'vicious' responses given on other forums across cyberspace. I am willing to BET that GC is the nicer venue. Because TWO, WHY APOLOGIZE? I won't. These threads are one of a kind on THIS forum, period. I don't have to explain any motives or intentions to YOU. Everything has been spelled out. Either folks can take the critiques at face value, or not.

As stated earlier, the reponses CANNOT get anyone into AKAland. Just like, G-mom alone, cannot get you in! You have your work to do, IF you are interested in Alpha Kappa Alpha.
One should NOT question the amount of work that WE do, but what needs to be questioned is what WORK are YOU doing? Trust, that most of the sorors are VERY active with their chapters. MOST of the sorors on this forum attend our conferences on the local, regional and national levels. So, we are INFORMED members! Plus, YOU don't know "jill" about anyone of us! Plus, it's not YOUR business to know.

This is only another example of someone with "keyboard courage". If you are an UG, I'm sure, you would NOT attempt to "handle" a UG Soror like that IN HER FACE. But then again, you might be one of those 'hot heads'. I will give you some advice, if it's the latter, you might want to put some water on yourself and simmer down. It is not becoming AT ALL in ANY respect.

Don't try to come here with your "I let my grandmother see this..." That doesn't scare ANYONE! How about you give her a username and let her join the discussions. We'd be GLAD to have her around. We don't discriminate around these parts.

Again, I say welcome to Greekchat. There are MANY, MANY threads covering all sorts of topics here. Don't be a stranger! OH, don't forget to read our Announcements! We wouldn't want you to get BLASTED (that's what we are notorious for...)! And it has NOTHING to do with Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc.

Quote:
It's a good thing you ladies already have your pearls, because you definitely don't have your dignity.

LMAO

I'm sure the last time sorors checked their dignity was intact!

As promised earlier in the week, both threads will be closed. I think this is the PERFECT opportunity to do so.

Thanks to all who participated. It has been an experience. Let's say we place this thread and the 'Ask an AKA' thread in the GC NPHC Archives.
Closed Thread