Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,453
1 members and 1,452 guests
Cookiez17

Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Other updates on recent colonies. I have received more updates on current colonies. In California we have CSU Monterey Bay (40 pledged), UC Santa Cruz ( 27 Pledged), UC Davis (25 Pledged), and UC Merced (33 Pledged). I have updates on other colonies across the nation, but these are some of the California updates. Also i hear that UCSD is almost near the acomplishing its chartering feat. Its good to see UC Davis back on campus, and the establishment of UC Merced as a colony. UC Merced will be great in the future as only 2 other fraternities have been established there.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostateksig View Post
Other updates on recent colonies. I have received more updates on current colonies. In California we have CSU Monterey Bay (40 pledged), UC Santa Cruz ( 27 Pledged), UC Davis (25 Pledged), and UC Merced (33 Pledged). I have updates on other colonies across the nation, but these are some of the California updates. Also i hear that UCSD is almost near the acomplishing its chartering feat. Its good to see UC Davis back on campus, and the establishment of UC Merced as a colony. UC Merced will be great in the future as only 2 other fraternities have been established there.
That's great news from California - always good to have a strong presence on the west coast.

ETA: Apparently we've returned to NYU: http://www.kappasigma.org/content/ka...ork-university . This would be a nice addition to the east coast chapters.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post
So I read. A lot of information at their site: http://www.kappasigmanyu.com/ Hopefully there is some more news coming in the fall of expansion in that region. There are a lot of top academic schools that would be great additions.
Absolutely - I went to school in the Northeast and would love to see more chapters in the area.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufield View Post
The month of January has no passed, and not much seems to have happened expansion-wise.

The one especially positive development is that the long-anticipated recolonization of Gamma-Upsilon at Rutgers University, referred to in the fourth paragraph of my January 2nd posting, evidently HAS formally occurred, as the Gamma-Upsilon Colony is now included in the lists of active chapters and colonies on the Fraternity Website.

Two other positive events, though they are not strictly expansions, but rather successful completions of prior recolonizations, are that the Kappa and Mu-Omega Chapters at Vanderbilt and Southeastern Louisiana Universities, respectively, have now been restored.

Unfortunately, however, the only other new expansion shown on the lists of active chapters and colonies on the Fraternity Website is an altogether new colony at the Brooklyn College unit of CUNY, the City University of New York. This is another example of the Fraternity expanding to a school that has no, or, in this instance, almost no pre-existing fraternity system, as opposed to a school with a well-established fraternity system with a variety of fraternities. The only other fraternities at Brooklyn College are Alpha Epsilon Pi, Sigma Alpha Mu, and Zeta Beta Tau, all predominantly Jewish in membership, and tiny Alpha Delta Phi. So this may be another example of the fraternity colonizing at a school at which it has little or not chance of long-term success, as it has done so many times in recent years, or a great opportunity for Kappa Sigma to establish itself at a school where it has little competition for members, and thus perhaps a chance to establish itself successfully. I suppose that only time will tell. To me this is another example of the Fraternity's second-rate,'take what comes along' expansion policy, which brings us colonies at many schools where there is little likelihood of long-term success and that do little to advance the Fraternity's stature, instead of actively pursuing colonies at prominent schools with established Greek systems at which Kappa Sigma is notably absent. In NYC, other fraternities expand or return to NYU (where we have a dormant Gamma-Zeta Chapter, founded in 1905, inactive since 1974) and Columbia University (where we have never had a chapter); Kappa Sigma expands to Brooklyn College. It IS a good school, with an attractive and growing campus, a good reputation, and an increasing enrollment. L just don't see a chapter there succeeding long-term. However, I'd love to be wrong.

Perhaps some other colonies have been established but just are not yet listed on the Fraternity Website. Perhaps there is a flurry of expansionary activity going on out there that just has not yet manifested itself in the formal establishment of colonies. If anyone is aware of any such new colonies or expansionary activity, please share what you know or have been told.

I hope you're wrong too-ive met a couple of the KS guys at Brooklyn and they're cool. One of them is the new IGC president. Good times.

As for nyu hope that works out too-always good times to hear about greek life expanding there. I know pi phi just came there last year (or the year before?)
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I created this thread back in November, 2003 in the hopes of acquiring additional information regarding the Fraternity’s expansionary activities to supplement the minimal information that the Fraternity was providing on its Website and in its quarterly magazine, The Caduceus. Kappa Sigma is a terrific fraternity in many ways; but in one respect, Kappa Sigma is one of the worst: its HQ is among the worst of all fraternities in informing its members about fraternity affairs. Kappa Sigs, and those interested in Kappa Sigma affairs, are among the most poorly informed, compared to members of other fraternities, about all sorts of fraternity matters, including expansion (the existence of interest groups, the establishment of colonies, and the chartering of colonies as active chapters) and contraction (the closure of colonies and chapters). Invariably, new colonies would be added to the list of active chapters and colonies, colonies would be upgraded to chapter status, and colonies and chapters would disappear from the list of active chapters and colonies, all without announcement, explanation, or other reportage. So as one response to this lack of information, I initiated this thread.

Unfortunately, and mystifyingly, in the last couple of months the Fraternity’s unwillingness to provide basic information, or lack of concern about providing such information, has actually deteriorated, rather than improved. The primary function of any website should be to inform those who access it, preferably in the most user-friendly manner possible. But the Kappa Sigma website, which was reconfigured about two months ago, does just the opposite in several respects, one of which is the [lack of] provision of information about chapters and colonies. Prior to the reconfiguration, the website contained three chapter-related lists: two of those lists set out active chapters and colonies, one alphabetically by name of school, and one more or less alphabetically by Greek letter chapter designation; the third list set out all Kappa Sigma chapters, active and inactive, in chronological order of their chartering, commencing with Zeta Chapter at the University of Virginia and ending with the then most recently chartered chapter. So although, as aforesaid, the Fraternity almost never announced the creation of a new colony or the chartering of a colony, and absolutely never announced the closing of a colony or chapter, one could by careful monitoring of the lists, note when a new colony had been added, when a former colony had become an active chapter, and when a colony or a chapter had been deletedfrom the lists. But the newly reconfigured website eliminated all three lists and replaced it with a goofy map on which the location of every colony and chapter is marked with a red indicator that looks sort of like an upside down teardrop. So now if one wants to attempt to determine if a new colony has been added to the Fraternity’s rolls, one cannot scroll down the former active chapter and colony list, but instead must call up EVERY SINGLE indicator on the entire map to see if it corresponds to a previously existing chapter or colony, or a new colony!!! Furthermore, because the zoom function must be used to separate indicators for chapters that are located close together (for instance, to distinguish between the two present chapters located in Memphis or the several chapters located in and around Metro Atlanta) one must do this indicator-by-indicator searching in zoom mode in order to be sure not to miss a colony or chapter located in close proximity to another colony or chapter. It is extremely tedious and time consuming!

As if that is not bad enough, the map was outdated when it was introduced as part of the reconfigured website. Some colonies that had been chartered or rechartered prior to the appearance of the map on the reconfigured website, and that had been listed as chapters on the aforesaid active chapters and colonies lists before they disappeared from the website, were shown on the map as still being colonies. Likewise, some newer colonies that had been established before the appearance of the map on the reconfigured website, and had been added as colonies to the aforesaid active chapters and colonies lists before they disappeared from the website, were not shown at all on the map! So the map was out of date the minute it was added to the website.

And as if THAT were not bad enough, two months have passed and the map STILL has NOT been updated. So, for instance, Kappa Chapter at Vanderbilt University, which was rechartered before the website was reconfigured with the disappearance of the active chapters and colonies lists and the introduction of the map, is STILL shown as a COLONY! Also, Pi-Nu, Pi-Omicron, and Pi-Xi Chapters at Ramapo College of New Jersey, the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, and Colorado State University, which had all been shown as CHAPTERS on the active chapters and colonies lists on the website prior to the reconfigured website being introduced, were shown as COLONIES on the map. Likewise, the Kappa-Iota recolonization at the Middle Tennessee State University, and the new colonies at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, Brooklyn College, Central Michigan University, the University of Central Missouri (formerly Central Missouri State University), and Texas Women’s University all of which had been included on the aforesaid lists of active chapters and colonies on the former website, are STILL NOT SHOWN AS COLONIES AT ALL!

Furthermore, any colonies that have been established since the map was introduced are also not shown ... not that we are able to know what they are, because (1) the lists have disappeared, and (2) the Fraternity does not announce new colonizations in all but the most exceptional situations, something it could easily do each time a new colony is formed by simply posting a brief one or two sentence announcement on the News page of the website. Likewise, of course, any former colonies that have since received their charters are still not shown as active chapters.

The map contains a number of inaccuracies that have not been corrected since the map was introduced. Just to select one small area of the map, the chapter indicator for Omicron-Tau Chapter at the University of Arkansas at Fort Smith is nowhere near Fort Smith, but instead is about 100 miles to the east of there, and the indicator for the University of Kansas is placed in some suburb of Kansas City, not at Lawrence where the University is located.

There is no excuse whatsoever for the Fraternity’s failure to at least make the map accurate and to keep it up to date.

In other words, the whole thing is a near-total disaster. But It does not have to be so. First and foremost, the map could be updated to show all present active chapters and colonies, including upgrading to chapter status the designations of those colonies that have now received their charters. Secondly, the incorrectly placed indicators could be properly relocated. Thirdly, differently shaped or differently colored indicators could be used to differentiate between colonies and chapters. That way, one could instantly tell when a colony has been chartered or rechartered as an active chapter; it would have an active chapter indicator instead of a colony one. For instance, Alpha Kappa Lambda and Delta Upsilon websites both use the same Google map as the Kappa Sigma map, but mark active chapters with blue indicators, and colonies with yellow indicators. The DU map goes one step further, and also uses yellow indicators with a red check mark in it to designate interest groups; when the red check mark disappears one knows that that group had been upgraded to full colony status. The Kappa Sigma map could easily continue to use red indicators for active chapters, but use green ones for colonies ... personally, I would reverse that, and use red indicators for colonies and green ones for active chapters. It could provide even more information by also using black indicators for inactive chapters! It would be great to see a black indicator change to red when an inactive chapter is recolonized, and then to green when it is rechartered, just as it would be disappointing (but nonetheless informative) to see green or red indicator change to black when an active chapter is closed.

Similarly, Delta Sigma Phi uses a map, but uses differently shaped indicators, the shapes being symbols significant to its secrets, to differentiate between colonies and chapters.

Alpha Kappa Lambda, Delta Sigma Phi, ATO, Phi Delta Theta, and many other fraternities use both a map AND chapter lists, to inform their members and other interested parties as to its chapters and colonies. AKL uses not only the same map as Kappa Sigma, but also has lists of (a) its active chapters and colonies, (b) its inactive chapters, and (c) all its chapters, active and inactive, in chronological order of chartering. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why Kappa Sigma could not do likewise, especially since the website prior to reconfiguration already included two of those lists. I simply cannot comprehend who could have made the foolhardy decision to have eliminated those lists.

Check out the aforesaid AKL, ATO, Delta Sig, DU, and Phi Delt websites. Also check out the Beta Theta Pi, Sigma Nu, and Sigma Pi websites to see really good, really informative Chapter Directories, and to see how much more information those fraternities, and many others as well are providing, as opposed to the minimal and out of date information that the Kappa Sigma website provides.

I have e-mailed all the foregoing to the Fraternity webmaster, but have not received even the courtesy of an acknowledgment of receipt of that e-mail, let alone a substantive response. More importantly, no lists have been added to accompany the map, and the map still has not been updated.

If you share any of my aforesaid sentiments, I would ask that you please also e-mail the webmaster ... go to Contact Us on the Website and look for the link. Perhaps if some other people add their dissatisfaction to mine, some corrective action will be taken.

What does all the foregoing have to do with this thread regarding current Kappa Sigma expansionary activity? The answer is simply that because the Fraternity itself is providing so little information, the more additional information that anyone can post on here the more informed we will all be. Unfortunately, my very busy law practice has precluded me from posting at all in the last few months. But I am pleased that some previous posters have continued to post, and that some other people have come along to post as well.

Now on to some specifics in relation to some other recent postings.

Chicostateksig advises of new colonies at CSU Monterey Bay, UC Santa Cruz, UC Davis, and UC Merced. So it would appear that the alleged interest group at UC Santa Cruz that was the subject of some previous postings actually did exist, and has progressed to full colony status. That is terrific, as is the recolonization of Beta-Phi Chapter at UC Davis. I am rather pessimistic about of the chances of the CSU Monterey Bay colony surviving; a new school, with no Greek system and no Greek culture, poses a difficult challenge for that colony. I feel somewhat the same about the UC Merced colony; it probably stands a better chance of succeeding than the CSU Monterey Bay colony, but I am not as optimistic about its chances as chicostateksig seems to be. I do hope both groups succeed and would happily be proven to be wrong, but I am not confident about either of their long-term prospects.

Meanwhile, however, CSU Monterey Bay and UC Merced ARE colonies, which means that by my reckoning the fraternity presently has no less than seven colonies in California alone: those two, plus the aforesaid UC Santa Cruz and UC Davis, plus the Delta-NU recolonization at UCLA and the CSU Northridge and UC San Diego colonies. Add to that the fact that the former Academy of Art University colony was recently chartered as Pi-Upsilon Chapter, and one had to acknowledge that the Fraternity’s expansionary activity in the Golden State has been pretty dynamic these past few months.

However, there still are significant other expansionary targets in California, most notably the University of the Pacific, at which Kappa Sigma has never had any representation, and the return of Delta-Upsilon and Nu-Alpha Chapters at Occidental College and CAL Poly SLO, respectively.

Chicostateksig: You also posted that you “have updates on other colonies across the nation”. I don’t know why you limited your reportage to California, but would you please provide us with whatever updates you have about colonies elsewhere.

Some of you may have noted the announcement in the News section of the Fraternity website regarding the Order’s return to New York University by way of the absorption of a long-standing local fraternity there. This is one of the rare instances of the Fraternity actually reporting or announcing a colonization or recolonization on the website. And Hampton has posted a link to the colony’s informative website. Thanks for that, Hampton. Prior to its selecting Kappa Sigma, I was contacted by members of that local fraternity, who had some questions and concerns that they wanted answered by someone knowledgeable about the Fraternity but not employed by it or acting in an official capacity for it, and that the group was also considering affiliation with at least a couple of our prominent rivals, SAE and Beta Theta Pi. We should all (a) be very pleased indeed that they ultimately chose to join Kappa Sigma, and (b) hope that the Fraternity is able to satisfy all their concerns during their colony status period, and that they ultimately further decide to petition for a charter. It will be wonderful to see the restoration of the long-dormant Gamma-Zeta Chapter at such a prominent school as NYU. It will truly be one of the Fraternity’s most significant expansions in the last several decades if it ultimately succeeds.

Other than the NYU recolonization, and Chicostateksig’s advisement of the new colonies at CUS Monterey Bay, UC Santa Cruz, and UC Merced, I have no awareness of any new colonizations and/or recolonizations, or of the charterings or recharterings of any former colonies, since the aforesaid reconfiguration of the Fraternity website with its elimination of the active chapters and colonies lists. So if any reader of this posting has any other current information, please do post it.

Last edited by stufield; 06-03-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If you guys want to know about colonies I will be able to give some of the information. Just hit me up. I get monthly updates from nationals. I do agree with the website being pathetic in informing the members of the fraternity what is going on. It seems as if only members of the Executive Committee or GM or GP know what is going on with expansion as they receive monthly emails. Unfortunately After the conclusion of next fall I won't be able to provide any info as my term is done.

Here are all the current Colonies of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.

Microsoft Word - Colony Members1 Birmingham-Southern College Colony
School Name: Birmingham-Southern College

Colony Name: California State University/Monterey Bay Colony
School Name: California State University/Monterey Bay

Colony Name: University of California/Santa Cruz Colony
School Name: University of California/Santa Cruz

Colony Name: Kappa-Iota Colony
School Name: Middle Tennessee State University

Colony Name: Gamma-Upsilon Colony
School Name: Rutgers University

Colony Name: Tusculum College Colony
School Name: Tusculum College

Colony Name: Warrensburg, Missouri Colony
School Name: Warrensburg, Missouri

Colony Name: Ball State University Colony
School Name: Ball State University

Colony Name: St. John’s University Colony
School Name: St. John’s University
*50 members already.

Colony Name: California State University/Northridge Colony
School Name: California State University/Northridge

Colony Name: Delta-Nu Colony
School Name: University of California/Los Angeles

Colony Name: Mount Pleasant, Michigan Colony
School Name: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
*52 Members

Colony Name: Epsilon-Phi Colony
School Name: Texas Tech University
*49 Members

NYU Gamma Zeta Colony

Colony Name: Sacred Heart University Colony
School Name: Sacred Heart University

Colony Name: Texas Woman’s University Colony
School Name: Texas Woman’s University

Colony Name: Beta-Phi Colony
School Name: University of California/Davis

Colony Name: University of California/Merced Colony
School Name: University of California/Merced

Colony Name: Delta-Gamma Colony
School Name: University of Wyoming

Colony Name: Epsilon-Rho Colony
School Name: Kent State University

Colony Name: Lake Erie College Colony
School Name: Lake Erie College

Colony Name: University of Pittsburgh at Bradford Colony
School Name: University of Pittsburgh at Bradford

Colony Name: Anchorage, Alaska Colony
School Name: Anchorage, Alaska
Colony Name: University of New Orleans Colony
School Name: University of New Orleans
* Only 10 Members

Colony Name: University of California/San Diego Colony
School Name: University of California/San Diego
*49 Members

Colony Name: Fort Myers, Florida Colony
School Name: Fort Myers, Florida

Colony Name: Utah Valley University Colony
School Name: Utah Valley University

Colony Name: American International College Colony
School Name: American International College

Colony Name: State University of New York at Cortland Colony
School Name: State University of New York at Cortland
*13 members
Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

With the new academic year almost upon us, does ANYBODY have ANY news regarding new interest groups or colonies, the recolonizations of any dormant/inactive chapters, the closures of any colonies or chapters, or anything else of interest? If so, please post, since the Fraternity Websit is of no use whatsoever. It has not been updated in months, and the chapter and colony map, which as is set out in prior posts on this thread, was outdated when it was first added to the Website in the Spring STILL has NOT been updated!!! So any new that anybody can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

The only news that I can add at this time is that the one colony which was not included in the list provided by chicostate in the immediately preceding post on this thread, Brooklyn College, is scheduled for chartering as the Fraternity's newest chapter, Pi-Phi, later this month. So congratulations to that colony.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks like most of the expansion in the Northeast is being aimed at schools that have an non-traditional base for Kappa Sigma (excepting re-colonizations of course) and most of the schools are less known or up and coming. While this is fine if it works it seems that quite a bit is being left on the table in northeast expansion compared to Kappa Sig's competitors.

I know little about these competitors except through inquiring. It's good to have a yardstick to put impressions in context. From what I can tell Sigma Chi, Beta Theta Pi, SAE and Phi Delta Theta are racing ahead of Kappa Sigma among top northeastern schools. To the extent Kappa Sigma has spent effort it is going after the lowest hanging fruit with what may be the least likely to have long term viability and are least compatible with the culture of Kappa Sigma. Why the difference, why is Kappa Sigma not keeping up with its rivals in the region?

Part of it seems to be the degree and manner in which Sigma Chi, SAE Phi Delt and Beta are marketing themselves. It seems to me each of those fraternity has a definite character and it is one that a substantial number of respected young men on campus want to be associated with. They are also viewed as among the harder to get into organizations.

Fraternities with the most success at northeastern colleges are unabashedly about social connections as much as they are about community service. They aid recruiting by setting up alumni chapters and getting involved in housing guidance and job information sharing. (Housing by itself, even it is just an informal rented house is a benefit that students at new chapters appreciate.) And most of all successful fraternities in this region have good alumni groups in the large cities such as Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., (or even Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Buffalo.)

SAE, Sigma Chi, Beta, Phi Delt and I assume SPE have all sought to achieve the distinction of being at every Ivy; most are just one or two schools away. This is not just about getting the biggest names for the sake of it. It is a selling point and a healthy chapter at these schools will eventually be a good source of alumni support.

Kappa Sigma cannot compete with all groups such as religious/ethnic based fraternities or even community service organizations at what they do. Kappa Sigma has to maintain a firm and unique identity- it's tradition as a renaissance secret student society offering mutual aid in what can be a hostile world is unique; as is the modern perception as a traditional fraternity of Gentlemen who accept only the best, strive for excellence and have the strongest sense of brotherhood.

In the Northeast it is just such tradition that attracts young men who cannot find it elsewhere. Students from other regions (the South, Midwest and West) attending northern colleges have often found Kappa Sigma to be a welcoming home. Another policy that helps other fraternities in the Northeast more than elsewhere seems to be drawing graduate students. In any case this is about building quality and identity that will attract others in years to come.

An approach worth emulating at schools that do not recognize fraternities and have no history of them can be witnessed at the SPE Georgetown chapter. Many other Catholic schools still do not recognize fraternities but are not in active opposition, viz., Fordham (NY), Holy Cross (MA), Boston College (MA), Georgetown (DC), Providence (RI), Fairfield (CT). There are a lot of other campuses that are good objectives- Colgate (NY), Canisius (NY), Clarkson (NY), Hamilton (NY), Union (NY), Syracuse (NY), Clarkson (NY), Hartwick (NY), Seton Hall (NJ), Stevens (NJ), Montclair St. (NJ), Kean (NJ), Dickinson (PA), Gettysburg (PA), Villanova (PA), Trinity (CT), Wheaton (MA), Duquesne (PA), St. Josephs (PA).

Students at most of these schools are paying over a six figures for their education so they tend to want clarity in benefits. They can volunteer and anti-drug and alcohol abuse, etc. through the school-- though extra education in these areas is good for a number of reasons it is not necessarily a selling point in recruiting.

In summary, successful fraternities are

1. Selective, approaching student leaders, athletic teams, etc. and selling them on setting up a chapter, even if they pull only handful of the best students to start with;
2. Using social networking communities to find targets;
3. Offering off campus housing, parties, exclusive social and business networking and mentoring, alumni events all in an organized framework;
4. Operating in the conditions that are there- whether that is a supportive administration and Greek community or not;
5. Utilizing a few older alumni, and energetic graduate students chapters and colonies introduced to the targets likely make the fraternity more tangible and gives the potential founding group targets a group to feel the fraternity's bonds with.
6. Supporting alumni chapters get involved in housing guidance and job information sharing;
7. Using blogs and forums to communicate to the members and potential members;
8. Posting organizational legal templates and directions for opening housing corporations, group rental contracts, alumni chapter constitutions and guidance and discount partnerships for opening financial accounts;
9. Offering colonies, chapters and alumni website space or templates;
10. Responsive to the input and communication of their students and alumni.

While Kappa Sigma is second to none, that can only continue if we learn from our competition and then do it better!

Last edited by Ithakappasig; 08-24-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Ithakappasig:

I would have to disagree with your characterization of Boston College as a school without "active opposition" to Greek Life. I attended school in Boston, and have many friends who attended BC. It has quite an active opposition to Greek Life, and I would be shocked if a fraternity was able to get on campus with the blessing of the college.

I'd say the same for Holy Cross, as it has gone the way of other well-respected liberal arts schools (Williams, Amherst, etc.) in discouraging Greek Life.

There may be hope for expansion at some of the schools you listed (Clarkson springs to mind because it has an active Greek presence). However, you listed some upper-echelon liberal arts colleges that just don't want (and, in some way, don't need) a Greek life presence.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you. First- It was a lot of writing dunno if you caught (recommendation)#4, which answers the question of recognition. As we all know fraternity life in the northeast flourishes at schools where there is no recognition- Yale, Princeton come to mind immediately.

Secondly - the schools mentioned - Colgate (NY), Clarkson (NY), Hamilton (NY), Union (NY), Syracuse (NY), Hartwick (NY), Seton Hall (NJ), Stevens (NJ), Montclair St. (NJ), Kean (NJ), Dickinson (PA), Gettysburg (PA), Villanova (PA), Trinity (CT), Wheaton (MA), Duquesne (PA), St. Josephs (PA) all have vibrant greek scenes.

Thirdly, Canisius, G'town, Fordham and Providence already have Greek organizations- the first two SPE- that have opened the door and flourished.

The group of (Catholic colleges) I initially listed in the earlier post have done well in fraternity growth all things considered.

G'town, Fordham, Providence and BC all have great minority GLO presence and some chapters that partner with them allowing their students to rush at nearby colleges. Fordham has one fraternity operating privately and a second openly, a DKE chapter starting from 1990 finally closed a little while ago but is recolonizing I hear.

Anyone aware of Holy Cross (and its societies, informal group houses and 100 days and Tuesday pub nights) knows that the school is ripe for fraternities except their houses have been upsetting the neighborhood. Fairfield has Fairfield Beach, group housing that informal groups set up in that is very much like a fraternity and sorority row. BC, contrary to your assertion also has a conducive culture.

It is important to know the history here. Until a few decades ago most fraternities were Protestant by rule or custom and hostile to Catholic students, often forbidding their membership. That has changed dramatically. Jesuit schools didn't prohibit fraternities, they just frowned upon them as did administrators during a time when Catholic schools were much more in loco parentis than we can imagine today.

You should not confuse the history with Williams and Amherst at all. These schools have the possible penalty of expulsion for membership in organizations that previously included virtually the entire enrollment. This was not decline in popularity. Nevertheless fraternities continue at both schools, underground, a testament to their popularity.

Princeton and Dartmouth reversed their own draconian penalties while still frowning upon fraternities and dissuading membership. GLO's, old and new cleaned up on those campuses, taking in large numbers of students. I imagine the same would occur at Williams and Amherst.

I think it is easy to say sour grapes because Kappa Sigma hasn't done well in the region but our competitors show that this is really our fault.

Last edited by Ithakappasig; 08-24-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Ithakappasig:

I'm actually quite familiar with the history at many of those campuses (especially Holy Cross and Fairfield), either through my own visits, or through friends (both high school and law school) who have attended.

I'm extremely familiar with the situation at BC - again, I went to school in Boston, lived in Boston for several years afterwards, and have a large number of friends (around 20 that I can think of off the top of my head) who went to BC for undergrad. I've talked to them at great length about Greek life, and whether they think it could survive at BC. There's a great social scene at the college, and undergrads there aren't knocking down the doors to start greek organizations. (Just curious: what is the "great minority GLO presence" at BC to which you refer?)

Again...I didn't say that Greek Life would be doomed at all of the schools. I already mentioned Clarkson in my previous post, but I know that Colgate, Hamilton and others have university-supported Greek life. I never said that "all" of the schools were anti-Greek.

I'm not sure what "article 4" refers to - is that the 4th bullet point in your post?

You also don't tell me about the challenges of Greek Life at a Northeast campus. I was an EC member for two years on a campus that was not hospitable to Greek life, so I understand the challenges as well as anyone. I have attended meetings where University leadership has expressed a desire to see Greek Life "just go away." I've spent late hours in IFC and IFSC meetings trying to plan rush and other Greek activities for a student body with some hostility towards Greek Life. I know that chapters can be successful in the Northeast, and I also know the challenges that can be barriers to that success.

I would love to see the Order flourish in the Northeast and become a force at the schools you mentioned. I think, though, we have to be realistic and educated about the environments at those schools so that there can be an effective and successful chartering process at each of them. Even more importantly, we need to be chartering in places where we can see the chapter thriving for the next 5, 10, 20 years and beyond.

Last edited by KSigkid; 08-24-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Was trying to lighten things with "'article' 4" (tongue in cheek) since I knew I was going to disagree but yes, the 4th (numbered) point. It turns out that we do not disagree to the extent that I assumed but this 4th point is important- I'll revisit it in a moment because I think it deals with most of the problems that you present.

I also want to set aside Boston College because I think making an issue of one of twenty listed colleges doesn't serve the point but I have a grad school friend who was in Alpha Phi Alpha and I understand that their metro chapter (and other black and Hispanic fraternities) draw well from their, considering there is such a limited number of minority students there. If a dozen African Americans for all BGLO's were drawn from 5% of the student total at university that doesn't even support greek life I think that's astounding.

The few Catholic colleges mentioned that do not have a Greek scene or a nascent one should not be discounted however. At the Catholic schools with fraternity scenes it took one fraternity (not students usually but an organization) to opened the door at most of these type of schools. In many cases Catholic schools with a dozen fraternities today had none 25 years ago. Right now the fraternity opening the door to these schools isn't Kappa Sigma but aggressively growth minded fraternities that are not as tradition bound such as SPE, PKA, LXA. And Sigma Chi, Beta, SAE and Phi Delt are on their heels. And that is largely because they are flexible and responsive to their environment.

I think it is safe to say that fraternities by far and large grow out of the following: initiative of organizations, absorption of existing organizations, students that observe and take part in fraternities (visitors, discontinued pledges, etc.) but want something they own, transfers and graduate students and other alumni.

No fraternity should expect that a group of students where there is no fraternity life are going to organize themselves and present themselves and let's face it, their money, for a few letters since that is all they could expect from a fraternity that hasn't invested the time to organize and present the possible benefits they could bring.

Fraternities, especially Kappa Sig or Phi Delt (NIC issue) cannot expect that the IFC's to be able to really stand up for students' rights to freely assemble; nor can they expect all colleges to be supportive. There would be no fraternities at many northern colleges in that case.

I mentioned Harvard, Yale, Princeton to typify elite schools in the northeast (where we are incidentally absent while our rivals are present) but one could give a large list of northern schools where fraternity life is not recognized or only some frat-s are recognized or new fraternities are not welcomed by administrators but fraternity life flourishes anyway. I am not sure of the policy but it would be a shame if Kappa Sigma took the position that handicaps itself in ways that others do not by insisting upon university support to start or continue chapters. So the 4th of those ten recommendations seems to be appropriate to the main challenge that you experienced and see as a hurdle at many schools in the northeast.

Incidentally, I read a recent NIC report that said the biggest percentage growth is at (drum roll) Catholic colleges and the Northeast from the past two years. That doesn't mean its easy however.

I know about the challenges of Greek life in the Northeast. That's why I put up what I believe are the methods that successful Greek organizations use. I focused on other extra-regional fraternities instead of just those that have deep roots at top northern schools like ADPhi, etc. or those national competitors who are just very different from Kappa Sig.

The heart of it is though that our rivals- SAE, Sigma Chi, Beta, Phi Delt and even others are having tremendous success in the Northeast being flexible in approach while maintaining the character of their organization- so it is doable. Kappa Sigma just hasn't held the region as a priority, with NYU seemingly an aberration rather than part of a plan if Stufield is right. Not going into Conclave discussions but I think the talk didn't meet the planning.

Perhaps we are going to have to relax 50 guys to charter rule (the national will still bring in lots of money with a third that number if they maintain it) or be flexible in other ways- I listed 10 and would like to hear others. I really believe that despite opposition from some quarters that this is another golden era and that fraternities that fail to take advantage will see themselves in lean times while those that sow now will reap for years to come.

Last edited by Ithakappasig; 08-24-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

On the 4th "article," point taken - people on here tend to be over-the-top on these things, and I didn't recognize the humor. That's my fault.

I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate your point of view on the subject. I agree that the Northeast hasn't been a priority within the fraternity, as you noted. I think it's been more of a part of the general expansion plan, without any special emphasis towards expanding in the region. At least, that's been my impression...

My issue, so to speak, is that I think we tend to overlook some parts of the expansion process. I think it's great that the fraternity is expanding into new areas, and I agree that growth is necessary to keep the Order going. At the same time, there should be a recognition of what happens when things go wrong. If a colony fails at a school, it's not just a cost of doing business: it may be a better environment in a year or two, but we'll have lost our opportunity by having a failed colony. Plus, you have a group of guys who worked really hard to start a chapter, and they're left without a fraternity. Now, that doesn't necessarily account for risk management issues, but it's something to think about.

I also get the argument that a lack of university support, or university non-recognition, isn't in and of itself a complete barrier towards establishing a chapter. At the same time, it's a HUGE hurdle. It's not just a matter of saying to guys "Hey, it will be tough, but it's worth it! Work hard and recruit, and the rest will take care of itself!" There are some serious challenges that come with starting a chapter at a school where there is no university recognition. You can't use school funds, you don't have IFC/Greek Life office resources to supplement your efforts, etc. I won't say that it's an impossible enterprise, but I think there has to be a LOT of support in place (alumni and otherwise) for it to work.

Like you said, I don't think we're far apart in how we feel about all of this. It will be interesting to see how the new SEC (and other leadership) addresses this over the next 2 years, and beyond.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally agree about failures our failure of colonies having a significant impact-- that's why I really think the previously listed ten items and any other useful approaches we can borrow should be employed.

As some previous posters pointed out, the perceived approach has been "start a lot of colonies each year and you will overcome the failure rates." It is part of the quantity over quality which is part of the tension between business/money and higher ups vs meaningful brotherhood (a national organization offering services and seeking quality).

Kappa Sigma shouldn't be singled out though- most of the larger fraternities are doing this as a regular practice whether they admit it or not but it has to be balanced with services and quality. I would say these are the conditions where, if you have a smaller group or some financial constraints with chartering costs, you work with them and go for recognition- set the bar high but have flexibility. Kappa Sigma didn't have 50 men in Charlottesville in 1869. They were selective and it paid off with the organization we have today.

I hear what you're saying about the support from universities (and if you are at a school with all that support you are talking about then I would say great- go for it!) The IFC and the university when actively opposed are by definition a hindrance. But if they are supporting you there really isn't an issue, yes?

Why do you think that at all the schools I mentioned all of our competitors are flourishing and we are not? It just seems like excuses. I don't see the problems you imagine that come from not having university support. Obviously there are examples which I cited and many more.

I'll say this from experience. If other fraternities like yours are flourishing, you have a good recruitment team and plan, you should be able to fulfill basic requirements for most fraternities unless the fraternity has a problem. In some cases the fraternity is just not competitive or compatible in what it is offering or not marketing itself well (or you may have unrealistic goals like 50 members to charter). Just as likely, the team or the plan are not really that great. But it isn't because the college or IFC isn't giving enough money.

In fact I've seen where it is more often a point of contention where IFC orgs are angry that a non-IFC org was operating without the limits that they have. Again I speak from personal experience here. If the IFC and the school welcomes the fraternity however it is a moot point.

In the cases where there are not IFC's and university recognition or it is very limited it has not been a problem. And while I am speaking about personal experiences you need only check with how successful new fraternities have been at Princeton, Yale, G'town, etc. They're there and I know that at these schools that it was just student and organizational efforts since most weren't re-colonizations.

Don't think I'm "downing" Kappa Sig here- I think that if we aren't having honest, constructive conversations about what we need, that is downing Kappa Sig in another way. I know that the archives hold a whole bunch of dirty laundry of the fraternity for better or worse.

The exchange in this thread however is the sort of constructive discussion that should bother no one, on a topic as harmless as recruiting goals (as opposed to money management, politics and other squabbles at the top and the lack of communication with the broader organization.) Anyone reading this from the outside should appreciate the ethic of honesty, constructive self criticism in the pursuit of preeminence. Sure there can be better communication and more responsiveness (something that I see a lot of people talking about around here) but I think that with the amount of people that care and voice their thoughts the message will get across. With all the email groups, social networking sites, etc. just saying someone didn't answer any of your email sounds like some people are giving up too easily in making their legitimate concerns heard-- start a blog or something, they'll hear you and also, contact a chapter and volunteer. My point here however is about expansion in the Northeast.

We can learn from the mistakes and successes of Sigma Chi, SAE, Beta and Phi Delt in the region when we put forth better efforts in the region. We can also come behind other fraternities and give a better option, and frankly get better people and start building some better metro and chapter alumni groups than our competitors. I would hate to come into Brown or Georgetown or Yale 15 years ago but today they are great opportunities. The only thing is that the campus clubs, sports teams, informal groups, etc. begin to dwindle as they are approached by other fraternities.

The SEC has been heavily weighted to the Southwest. P.W.G.M. K aplan is close to Eastern New Mexico University and New Mexico University (where he is an alumni and alum adviser) and his people are such big political players since the foundation /HQ funding squabble and litigation; since then the leaders sort of come from the guys who participated in one side of that. I really like what WGM Betz has to say. While he was a chief litigant in that whole foundation thing (which seems to be requisite for SEC office since that time) he may bring some refocusing being from a small school in Tennessee and based in Florida I believe. Hopefully we will see not a shuffling but fresh faces that are more familiar with the South, Mid-Atlantic, West, the Midwest and New England. We seriously need newer, broader, more representative voices to be heard- for all the obvious reasons but not the least of which is that we are seeing uneven regional growth and a lack of metro or regional alumni associations.

I heard Bro Chris Nascimento (sp?) talk about some issues that related to the Northeast that sounded good at least but I also heard a lot of ear hustling and back patting as is typical of any conclave. Just hope that #10 works out- that the SEC hears that we would really benefit by some quality growth in the Northeast. I'm really confident that some good things will happen if we all let the SEC know what we want and offer our support.

Last edited by Ithakappasig; 10-30-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I was pleased to see some spirited discussion about the Fraternity's presence (or relative lack thereof) in the Northeast, and sorry to see it end so abruptly. Hopefully my busy law practice will allow me some time later this month to add to the discussion, as I thought all posters made some valid points, but were also mistaken with regard to some of their purported facts.

Ithakappasig [and any others who also use the word alumni incorrectly]: Please note that one person is not "an alumni". "Alumni" is plural, the plural of the masculine singular "alumnus". Brother Betz is an "alumnus", not "an alumni". He, KSigkid, and I, collectively, are "alumni". The feminine equivalents are "alumna" [singular] and "alumnae" [plural]. I can't believe that anyone went through a pledge training or pledge education period without being taught that. But I see the word "alumni" misused so often that I guess the "alumnus" - "alumni", "alumna" - "alumnae" thing is no longer part of pledge education. Too bad. It should be.

Also Ithakappasig: In your August 23rd post you listed a number of Northeast schools that you think are good expansionary objectives. I agree for the most part with your list, and could even add several other schools as well. But please note that, happily, Kappa Sigma already does have a chapter (Beta-Pi) at one school (Dickinson College) on you list. The chapter had been dormant for about five years, but was recolonized a couple of years ago, and rechartered last year. We also have dormant chapters at two other schools in your list: Syracuse and Villanova, two prominent schools at which we are conspicuous by our present absence and to which we should return as soon as possible. We had a short-lived colony at Villanova last year, but its members decided that they did not want to have to cope with all of the Fraternity's requirements for colonies, and they disassociated. We also had a large and strong interest group at Syracuse at the beginning of the last (2008-09) school year, but because Syracuse has a moratorium on fraternity expansion, the school threatened to sue the Fraternity if it recognized that group as a colony. Although the Fraternity has established colonies at several schools without formal recognition from those schools, and sometimes in open defiance of the schools' administrations, and has even chartered three such groups as chapters (Pi-Zeta at the Charlotte campus of Johnson and Wales University, Pi-Theta at Coastal Carolina University, and Pi-Kappa at Bentley College) it backed down from Syracuse and did not recognize the interest group there. Hopefully, Kappa Sigma will return to Syracuse and Villanova in the near future ... or at least before I die!