GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,449
1 members and 1,448 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote a rec this year for a PNM who is a double in-house legacy, but she really did not want to pledge her sisters' chapter. She didn't really have an issue with the chapter, but had always been in the shadow of her siblings and wanted to branch out on her own. Her recruitment just ended, and I guess she got cut massively first round by the non-legacy groups and by the end of the week had nothing left but the legacy chapter. She did accept her bid but is very upset. I hope she gives it a chance.

I warned her that as an in-house legacy assumptions might be made by other chapters. I feel for her.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I wrote a rec this year for a PNM who is a double in-house legacy, but she really did not want to pledge her sisters' chapter. She didn't really have an issue with the chapter, but had always been in the shadow of her siblings and wanted to branch out on her own. Her recruitment just ended, and I guess she got cut massively first round by the non-legacy groups and by the end of the week had nothing left but the legacy chapter. She did accept her bid but is very upset. I hope she gives it a chance.

I warned her that as an in-house legacy assumptions might be made by other chapters. I feel for her.
Was this at Auburn? I'm just throw off about how she has a bid to accept already.

Under the circumstances, if it is at Auburn, I think you'd assume that she's getting that bid, but bid day is tomorrow right?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Was this at Auburn? I'm just throw off about how she has a bid to accept already.

Under the circumstances, if it is at Auburn, I think you'd assume that she's getting that bid, but bid day is tomorrow right?
My guess is that it was at OK State, but she's putting it here in the discussion of in-house legacies...
Old 08-12-2012, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
And in-house sister situations are truly the worst. I assume the PNM's sisters had to leave while they were discussing her but surely they were aware of the serious issues that must have led to her cutting.
Right. Even if you have the "what's talked about in here stays in here" rule, she's GOING to find out, and she's NOT going to be happy about it (even if this reasoning is valid like GPA, weed pics, etc.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Auburn girls get their bids tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh the situation on the in-house legacy I was referring to was with the in-house sister not participating in Rush as she was out of town. I suspect the cut was easier to make with her not there.

And as far as bids go, if you went to a pref party today as a legacy, you will be at that chapter's top of bid list per their nationals rules (Ithink).

My dau did go to three parties today so most likely will receive a bid from one of the three. She really likes her 1 pick and could be happy in 2 or 3. Being out of state has been difficult. There aren't enough girls from our hometown to make a push in the sororities, and that makes a HUGE difference. We had 4 girls I think going through Rush from here, at UGA there were 17 girls....see what I mean. My dau cut her legacy chapter, which was fine with me, it was a good safety net for the week. I know she'll be happy anywhere!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmom2012 View Post

And as far as bids go, if you went to a pref party today as a legacy, you will be at that chapter's top of bid list per their nationals rules (Ithink).
Membership selection is private information.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, being from out of state makes NO DIFFERENCE at Auburn or Alabama or most anywhere else in the SEC. Alabama had about an even split last year with in and out of state PNMs. Auburn has so many GA and FL students that it would be impossible to purposely keep the chapters skewed to in state members.

Second of all, putting legacies on the first bid list is not private membership selection information. The software has a place to mark the legacies so it runs them first - at least ICS does. And it's the main software PHs are using these days.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Being from out of state MAY make a difference at Auburn. There are some sororities that, all else being equal, would take a young lady from Alabama first.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Second of all, putting legacies on the first bid list is not private membership selection information. The software has a place to mark the legacies so it runs them first - at least ICS does. And it's the main software PHs are using these days.
While I realize many groups choose to use this feature, they are not obligated to do so, i.e. the CPH can not say "your legacies MUST be on the top of your bid list". Further, it is possible to have more legacies attending prefs than quota, in which case, a legacy could go receive a bid from a chapter other than her legacy chapter.

A PNM (or her mother, as the one I quoted) should never go into pref thinking she is a "sure thing" just because she is returning to her legacy chapter.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to disagree with the out of state info, having attended Auburn myself, even way back in the day, rushees from Montgomery, B'ham, Mobile and Huntsville faired way better than us Georgia ones. This is mainly because there were a lot more sisters in the sororities from that particular city. I can name on one hand girls from where I'm from that are active sisters. Big difference. But, it is what it is, everyone will be happy in their chapters, especially when they take the time to get to know them better this semester.

And honestly, is there any private information anymore? I said it, its out there to be found, and the girls all know it from their mommies or sisters or aunts. Now, how they do their bid selection, that is private, top secret info. Or supposed to be!

Last edited by AUmom2012; 08-12-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It will be interesting to see the breakdown.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL Titchou I may have to admit defeat tomorrow!!!!! I certainly don't know much about Rush these days!!! But thanks for all that complicated info about the bids and all, I'm glad someone understands it.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

While there may be an NPC who doesn't require legacies who attend pref to be on their first bid list, I am not aware of who that may be. And as far as we are concerned, it is not private membership selection information as we advise legacies of it up front...as do many other NPC groups where I have friends.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that it's Tri Delt.