GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,438
0 members and 1,438 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2008, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

With all due respect, AKA Monet, it doesn't answer what the Obama camp means by "non-exclusive".

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 07-20-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It really doesn't matter what the Obama camp meant.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
It really doesn't matter what the Obama camp meant.
Well, it might because if Michelle Obama meant that she still wanted to be eligible for membership in other groups, she will probably ultimately not be able to join AKA, which most of us would consider an important part of the story.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Well, it might because if Michelle Obama meant that she still wanted to be eligible for membership in other groups, she will probably ultimately not be able to join AKA, which most of us would consider an important part of the story.

Actually, it's the part that makes this a story as opposed to just an announcement. AKA announces Michelle Obama will be a member - okay, an announcement. Obama camp then throws in the term "non-exclusive" - now we've got a story. And it may all just boil down to a pr person in Obama's office who worded it poorly!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Actually, it's the part that makes this a story as opposed to just an announcement. AKA announces Michelle Obama will be a member - okay, an announcement. Obama camp then throws in the term "non-exclusive" - now we've got a story. And it may all just boil down to a pr person in Obama's office who worded it poorly!
It will be interesting to see if she does really accept the membership down the road.

It's possible that she's been interested in AKA membership for a long time and understands herself what it will involve, but the PR folks didn't.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

If she is indeed initiated, it will probably not be until after the election. Funny thing is that in the longshot event that Obama loses, the question becomes will Michele still be initiated?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
It's possible that she's been interested in AKA membership for a long time and understands herself what it will involve, but the PR folks didn't.
That's what I assumed.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

from the articles ive read about Michelle Obama, i would have seen here more as accepting membership on a local level. Not that this means anything, but I dont see her as the type to accept membership on an international level for political reasons, but because, hey, maybe she actually wants to be an AKA.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I said it doesn't matter what the Obama camp meant because I'm sure that is being handled by those who are privy to the details. The rules don't bend for anyone so the AKAs are on top of it and the rest of us will know what's what if any info is released.

Big ups to the national website announcement that has been allowed to trump individual AKAs announcing "congrats to soror Michelle Obama" eventhough she wasn't inducted yet.

Congrats to the highly accomplished women who actually were inducted at their convention.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

So what's the hazing incident AKA was involved with? I must have missed something
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Michelle Obama is not going to be an honorary AKA. It's not going to happen. I heard the rumors all during Boule but it's not going to happen. She didn't understand that being AKA meant she couldn't join the others. She was not exposed to BGLO growing up or at Princeton so she just didn't know. She's sorry that she didn't investigate the offer more completely.

In the future, I'm sure AKA will make every effort to ensure that anyone offered honorary membership understands the policies prior to accepting.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

And who are you to speak on ANYTHING regarding AKA?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, what my Soror RD said, who are you to say anything about AKA and Boule?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

screw the Ossama's, Barack will never be elected despite the intense efforts of media channels such as MTV to brainwash the uneducated young adults of our incredibly ignorant country. How can you vote for someone who declared their candidacy for president after only serving 147 days in the senate!?!?!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebows jorts View Post
screw the Ossama's, Barack will never be elected despite the intense efforts of media channels such as MTV to brainwash the uneducated young adults of our incredibly ignorant country. How can you vote for someone who declared their candidacy for president after only serving 147 days in the senate!?!?!
Please provide your credentials so we can see what qualifies you to be the authority on mis-education and ignorance?

Never mind.... you've proven you're more than qualified. My apologies.