GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,141
1 members and 1,140 guests
No Members online

Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyFYI View Post
...however, the reverse is more common.
LOL.

Word to the wise: There are many things that aren't important unless you insist on making it important.

Quote:
It is truly ironic to see ladies in sororities bash sweethearts given the HISTORICAL connections between the two groups going back, for some, to the VERY BEGINNING.
LOL.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
...and it's strange that someone would say that aux orgs do not exist because they are banned. Although I am long out of undergrad, it is clear that they do from those younger folk who talk about them. The fact that they are not acknowledged is poor logic if you had a process because that too is banned. Such a statement would suggest that one's process did not exist either. Or maybe it didn't. It's 2010, after all. Can't we all just get along?! :-)
If you don't hush.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
...and it's strange that someone would say that aux orgs do not exist because they are banned. Although I am long out of undergrad, it is clear that they do from those younger folk who talk about them. The fact that they are not acknowledged is poor logic if you had a process because that too is banned. Such a statement would suggest that one's process did not exist either. Or maybe it didn't. It's 2010, after all. Can't we all just get along?! :-)
Let me start by saying I WAS an Omega Pearl. And yes when I attended undergrad, sweethearts were not groupies and if fact many did become members of the D4.

But it is obvious from your response, that you are way out of the loop with today's collegiate scene. All of the frats, except for Iota have banned collegiate auxs. And there are reasons for it. Many of these groups attempt to get around it by forming their own infrastructure and claiming autonomy from the frat. But come on, do you really believe that Kappa Diamonds, or Sigma Doves exist solely for their own benefit?

Lastly, your sentence about banned processes makes no sense to me. Perhaps you can expound.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Let me start by saying I WAS an Omega Pearl. And yes when I attended undergrad, sweethearts were not groupies and in fact many did become members of the D4.
Yeah.

But, there are still BGLOers from the 1950s-1960s who had negative perceptions of male and female sweethearts and advised their family members to never become one for a number of reasons. I guess that's another campus-by-campus variation.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyface08 View Post
If you don't hush.

LOL. I was wondering if that post was worth reading.... I guess now
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenandGoldGir
I am doing a paper on the topic of auxiliary groups and BGLO's, and although I have heard(seen) many people say that NPHC banned "little sister's" I have not been able to find proof of this...if anyone has anything stating that. Give me a shout.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!
my first gut busting laugh of the day. thanks DS

Last edited by dreamseeker; 04-12-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

DrPhil:
I do agree- things are only important if you give them weight. Things have been shared with me recently about some undergraduate ladies from a few sororities (read: two), who have had an issue with a few other young ladies who were in an aux org. They were upstanding individuals, so it really shouldn’t have been important, but it was made to be…we lose quality women that way and they go elsewhere. That is a sad thing…

…and yes, from the very beginning is correct. The truth is, we all want to believe that we have been told all that there is to know. While fraternities get caught up in how “hard” their processes were, we get caught up in knowing EVERYTHING there is, when we can’t. I do not claim to know everything, or even most things- I strive for new knowledge about life, not just in the greek world, daily. That said, if there is one thing I know- the connection was from the beginning. Most folk aren’t going to know that, so I don’t blame the skepticism. Some were just better known than others.

Ladygreek:
You said that you were an Omega Pearl. That’s remarkable that you put that comment in past tense. If you had some kind of process with those men, they must have entrusted to you some valuable and private information. Although I have no immediate allegiance to that org, it saddens me that you would throw away such a connection.

I understand the feeling that, should you have become a member of a D9 org, you have ascended to “greater” things. Truly, I do. But the idea that you would pledge something and then disown something else is a red flag. I would be nervous to share information with any young lady who was so willing to throw any process away. All I could ask myself is: would she do that with my org?

And, you’re right, I am not in undergrad anymore, but I have plenty of family and mentees that are. I am well informed that aux orgs have been banned. I understand why. With the onset of pledging, girls are a liability because they can be hurt. Many fraternities would not be able to recover from such a lawsuit. That said, they do still exist and operate on a regular basis on campuses across this country. That is clear, or this post wouldn’t exist…to respond to your final statement, of course the aux orgs aren’t autonomous. They were never meant to be. It just seemed irrational to say that something doesn’t exist because it is banned. I’m sure some of us can think of a variety of things that people do that aren’t allowed, but are still done…jaywalking maybe? ☺
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ladygreek:
You said that you were an Omega Pearl. That’s remarkable that you put that comment in past tense. If you had some kind of process with those men, they must have entrusted to you some valuable and private information. Although I have no immediate allegiance to that org, it saddens me that you would throw away such a connection.

I understand the feeling that, should you have become a member of a D9 org, you have ascended to “greater” things. Truly, I do. But the idea that you would pledge something and then disown something else is a red flag. I would be nervous to share information with any young lady who was so willing to throw any process away. All I could ask myself is: would she do that with my org?

And, you’re right, I am not in undergrad anymore, but I have plenty of family and mentees that are. I am well informed that aux orgs have been banned. I understand why. With the onset of pledging, girls are a liability because they can be hurt. Many fraternities would not be able to recover from such a lawsuit. That said, they do still exist and operate on a regular basis on campuses across this country. That is clear, or this post wouldn’t exist…to respond to your final statement, of course the aux orgs aren’t autonomous. They were never meant to be. It just seemed irrational to say that something doesn’t exist because it is banned. I’m sure some of us can think of a variety of things that people do that aren’t allowed, but are still done…jaywalking maybe? ☺
LOL. If I had a dollar for every Dove that claimed to hip me to some knowledge they learned about the frat because they were aux I would have two dollars.

Sorry but I can understand why Ladygreek refers to it in the past tense, because it is the past. Look I respect every Dove that comes to me, and I keep in contact with a Dove I made that is now an AKA. (Yeah I know, but I'm older and wiser now and learned my lesson from that experience.)Yet at the end of the day you don't exist. Maybe in the past (because I'm a late 90's frat) these auxiliaries had some pull..maybe. The reality is though you are on the same level as the social club that filled out a req and is recognized on the school campus. You don't have real knowledge. You know what we want you to know and even that can be found on the internet. Anything deeper than that believe me you don't really want other frat to know that you know this.

Here is a rule you need to learn quick. The greek world is very small. Just take my word for it, don't learn it the hard way. Be happy in your social club-dom and don't stray outside your circle.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I like this guy. Let's keep him.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ladygreek:
You said that you were an Omega Pearl. That’s remarkable that you put that comment in past tense.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
^^^ I like this guy. Let's keep him.
Yeah.

Team BluPhire.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
LOL. If I had a dollar for every Dove that claimed to hip me to some knowledge they learned about the frat because they were aux I would have two dollars.

Sorry but I can understand why Ladygreek refers to it in the past tense, because it is the past. Look I respect every Dove that comes to me, and I keep in contact with a Dove I made that is now an AKA. (Yeah I know, but I'm older and wiser now and learned my lesson from that experience.)Yet at the end of the day you don't exist. Maybe in the past (because I'm a late 90's frat) these auxiliaries had some pull..maybe. The reality is though you are on the same level as the social club that filled out a req and is recognized on the school campus. You don't have real knowledge. You know what we want you to know and even that can be found on the internet. Anything deeper than that believe me you don't really want other frat to know that you know this.

Here is a rule you need to learn quick. The greek world is very small. Just take my word for it, don't learn it the hard way. Be happy in your social club-dom and don't stray outside your circle.

Sigh. Maybe you didn't read my posting. You made two assumptions: 1) that I'm aux. and 2) that I'm not greek. Poor assumptions. Is seems hard to believe that a non-aux person would defend aux people, huh? I do. I do it out of respect for history. I don't sing those songs for nothing. I don't do the research for nothing. I don't talk to my elders for nothing. That's why I feel like all greek ladies could stand to give them a break...and it seems the men could too.

I recognize and understand the plight of young ladies who deserve a bit more credit and respect IF they've earned it through their service, superior moral aptitude, and willingness to work. I think it's unfortunate when folk start characterizing and labeling without first getting to know a young lady- that's what I don't like. I don't generally characterize entire other orgs like some of the younger folk do. I see younger folk take their personal issues into the voting room ALL the time and it makes me sick. "aux girls are this or that." Stereotyping D9 orgs is not for me either, even when some people make it very easy to do. I don't understand why we all can't be better than that. It's not classy at all- poor form, as my great greats would say.

I actually know Sigmas who would disagree with you, along with Kappas and Ques (I really don't know any Iotas...they're a bit too new, I think). I know that there were quite a few young ladies running around with some valuable information in the 90s and, from what I understand, still are today. Every chapter is different, however. Chapters change with time as well. I just like to see hard-working ladies get the respect they deserve, whatever they've decided to join. That's why I'll defend those who may not want or be able to defend themselves without being told that they "don't exist." They deserve the same respect I give to anyone else's org (if they're doing the right thing) as I was taught. Respect, s'all.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sigh. Maybe you didn't read my posting.
Make your posts shorter, clearer and more concise. You are longwinded for a boring topic.

There are other threads on this board. If you are in a (B)GLO and aren't someone's sockpuppet, I welcome you to participate in other threads. Your username seems to mean that you thought you were coming here (or creating a new username) to inform and educate about auxs--that's beyond hilarious.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-19-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
(I really don't know any Iotas...they're a bit too new, I think).
I made the mistake of skimming the rest of her post and

They are so "too new" that they were probably founded before you were born and probably accepted into the NPHC longer than you've been a...what are you, again?

Iota is the only NPHC frat that still formally acknowledges their sweethearts and, for the most part, haven't reduced them to (insert aux stereotype).
Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

BlurPhire- comparing aux orgs to "the social clubs that filled out a req and is recognized on campus" is a bit funny- that is just how most of the D9 orgs began. Clubs that filled out a req and got approval. It's a strange dig at them, don't you think? And even if we go with what you said, there are some social clubs that are older and with more history than D9 orgs...I would never look down on D9 orgs as a result, so why would you place a hierarchy with D9s above so called "social clubs." Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, certainly, but I don't like the idea of looking down on others positive work product and efforts...Just a thought...