GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,309
0 members and 1,309 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

My students are going to think I'm going on a job interview or something. I never get "extra dressed up" at school but I want to wear my pin so I'm wearing my black suit.

I'm so excited!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm So Excited

Good Evening Sorors,
I am so excited about Tuesday. There are 5 sorors at my school and on Tuesday we are dressing alike ,singing the hymn, and having a birthday cake in the lounge for everyone.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Obsession8 Send a message via Yahoo to Obsession8
How My Chapter is Celebrating

My chapter will be serving refreshments in our student lounge on campus. We'll have our scrapbook, display boards, etc., set up for people to look at as well. We're also making a banner that will hang outside of our student union building all week. Each of us is going to sign it with our line information. Later tonight, we'll be having dinner at Picadilly with our sponsoring grad chapter.

I'm too excited for words for what today has in store!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to unspokenone25
Alpha Kappa Alpha Ushers in Centennial Year

CHICAGO, IL--(MARKET WIRE)--Jan 9, 2008 -- When the clock ticked to 12:01 and a new year -- 2008 -- ushered in, Alpha Kappa Alpha marked its Centennial year.
This history-making triumph makes the Sorority the first college-educated, primarily African-American female organization to reach this milestone.

To commemorate this 100-year landmark, the Sorority has a host of celebratory activities planned during the year.

Led by its Centennial International President Barbara A. McKinzie, more than 25,000 members will converge upon Washington, D.C. for two major events.

The yearlong celebration begins at AKA's birth home of Howard University from January 12-15. It was at Howard that nine visionary women founded the organization with the first chapter being Alpha chapter. Only a few decades removed from slavery, the nine founders made service the core mission of the Sorority. That mission continues today.

In tribute to the first chapter and to Alpha Kappa Alpha's "birth mothers," the four-day salute includes a mix of ritual, reflection and congratulations. Luminaries with ties to Alpha Kappa Alpha's first chapter will be showcased during the four days including incorporators, former national presidents and other achievers initiated in Alpha chapter.

Among those who will attend are 103-year old Hazel Hainsworth Young, the oldest active member of the Sorority. Actress, trailblazer and Alpha initiate Phylicia Rashad is expected to attend. Faye Bryant, a past international president and an initiate of Alpha chapter, will also lead the festivities.

Beginning on Saturday, January 12, members will convene at the Renaissance Hotel for a reception hosted by The College of Arts and Sciences. A high point of the event will be the unveiling of scrapbooks from members that span the 100-year life of the chapter. The journals will provide a graphic diary of the chapter's centennial.

Sunday, January 13, begins with Alpha chapter's annual religious celebration. Rev. Calvin O. Butts of New York is the speaker. At the culmination of the service, the Sorority will present a monetary gift to the Andrew Rankin Memorial Chapel.

The day will cap off with a gala.

Designated as "Service Day," Monday, January 14, will see members dedicate a library at the Middle School for Mathematics and Science at 2PM, which is a public school on Howard University's campus. A massive donation of books will be presented to the school as a show of support for its mission. The school is also the site of Miner Hall where AKA was born.

There will also be a dedication of the library at Asbury Dwelling for Senior Citizens. The Asbury Dwelling is a site where Alpha chapter spent considerable time providing comfort to the seniors.

Tuesday, January 15 is the actual birth date of the Sorority and the solemn pilgrimage to historical markers on Howard University's campus represents the "climactic high point of the weekend." There will be five stops -- all of which have historic significance to Alpha Kappa Alpha. At each stop, a chime will sound and the members will walk in unison, and in silent reverence, to the sites that bear witness to AKA's history.

This Celebration is the first of two major events to take place during its Centennial year. More than 20,000 members will converge upon Washington, D.C. for its Centennial International Conference from July 12-18. At that time, more tributes and commemorations will take place. The sorority will use the week to engage in a series of meetings, plenaries and "conversations" about how to deal with today's pressing issues while charting a course for the Sorority as it enters its second millennium. The public will be invited to some of the events.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority is America's first Greek-letter organization founded in 1908 by, and for, African-American college women. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, it is one of the world's leading service organizations. The sorority's members have made a commitment "to serve all mankind" through a nucleus of more than 200,000 women in over 975 chapters in the United States, the Caribbean, Canada, Germany, Korea, Japan and on the continent of Africa. Barbara A. McKinzie is the 27th International President. Because her term coincides with the 100-year anniversary, she is being hailed as the "Centennial National President."
Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dzdst796
Congratualtions to all of my SisterGreeks of AKA. Hope you all enjoy your centennial celebration of your wonderful sisterhood. Paint the world Pink & Green.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorors,

It snowed here in Detroit last night but that's not keeping us from painting the city pink and green. There are alot of events going on to celebrate our 100th Anniversary. Church services, community service projects, parties and of course a joint chapters Founders' Day luncheon etc.

We are wearing our pink and green w/ pride to work and to the voting polls today. Also alot of us are going out to dinner after work to reminisce and have birthday cake.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Angel11E01 Send a message via Yahoo to Angel11E01
Congrats and Happy 100 Years to the Ladies of AKA.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats ladies
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy 100th Sorors!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

http://hvpress.net/

January 15th, 2008
Centennial Anniversary of Alpha Kappa Alpha

Washington , DC – Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee today commemorated the 100th Anniversary of Alpha Kappa Alpha (AKA) sorority. Noting its tremendous and enduring legacy of leadership and service, Senator Clinton and Congresswoman Jackson Lee announced that they would place a special commemoration of AKA's anniversary in the Congressional Record of both chambers of Congress when the House and Senate resume this month.

"AKA's members have built an enduring legacy of leadership and service that has made a profound contribution to our history and to our future. When Representative Jackson Lee and I hosted AKA leadership and many members on Capitol Hill, I was reminded yet again of the remarkable strength and unwavering dedication of AKA to improve the lives of others. As the sorors of AKA celebrate this significant milestone, I add to the chorus of thanks and praise for your 100 years of groundbreaking achievement and the many accomplishments yet to come."

"I am honored and privileged to recognize and celebrate the 100 year anniversary of this historic and monumental organization. As a Member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., I have experienced first hand how this organization has forged through racial and cultural barriers to cultivate, guide and shape the lives of many minority women through out this country," stated Congresswoman Jackson Lee. "By preparing young women worldwide for educational success, leadership and community service, this organization has refined the talents of world leaders, activists, actresses, and many more who have gone on to provide resources and expertise, addressing many of the critical issues affecting our world, nation, and local communities today. There are so many other wonderful AKA members in Congress and we look forward to working with them in this commemoration."

Alpha Kappa Alpha (AKA) is the first Greek-lettered sorority established and incorporated by black college women. The sorority was founded in 1908 Howard University in Washington , D.C. by a group of nine students, led by Ethel Hedgeman Lyle. Over the past century, AKA has evolved into a nationwide organization of college-trained women working to improve the socioeconomic conditions in their cities, States and countries throughout the world. Today, the sorority serves through a membership of more than 200,000 women in over 975 chapters in the United States and several other countries.

Hudson Valley Press - News for NY's Hudson Valley
Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I am ready to see that the doll looks like Mattel is going to make.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Soror,
Also, don't forget about the doll made by one of our very own sorors - Ivy Rose doll - http://www.sisterhoodboutique.com/akadoll.asp. She's a very elegant doll!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
I am ready to see that the doll looks like Mattel is going to make.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerChild View Post
Hey Soror,
Also, don't forget about the doll made by one of our very own sorors - Ivy Rose doll - http://www.sisterhoodboutique.com/akadoll.asp. She's a very elegant doll!!
The doll is GORGEOUS!!!

Congratulations Ladies! 100 never looked so good!!!
Life Member Fall 2008
Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service
Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerChild View Post
Hey Soror,
I think that doll is beautiful!!!!

Last edited by 1908Revelations; 01-23-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!

Sorors,

PLEASE be careful with whom you share information. Make sure you KNOW that the person you are emailing is MOST DEFINITELY a soror. Do not be afraid to offend by asking for FULL NAMES, INITIATING CHAPTERS, and CROSSING DATES. Then cross reference that information with your member directory (if you don't have one, ask a soror who does). Not everyone who posts on this site and says that they are a soror is TRULY a soror. I don't share anything with anyone I haven't met in person, especially sorors who have attended events with me that you have to actually register for.

Y'all know there are a grip of posers out there. Just be careful. When in doubt, DON'T.

Sisterly,

Soror Monique