GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,544
1 members and 1,543 guests
IllyPolly

Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I think she should "worry" - that's not the right word - think about it - today. Try to look at it this way - she can concentrate on the groups that at first, she probably didn't pay too much attention to. If she has specific reasons why she doesn't like them, perhaps she can try to tactfully find out if they are just assumptions, or if they truly are "not for her". If she wants to be Greek, she needs to be open to the choices in front of her.

I understand her disappointment, but some girls might have none. It takes ONE. If she's enthusiastic about learning more about theses three groups, she might open her heart to a group of girls she otherwise would have dismissed.

Her perception of "party group" is based on...what? Tent talk? I guarantee in that in the "party sorority" of 150-200 members, maybe 10-15% are hard-core partiers (and I'm guessing on the high side). What about the other 85-90%? Find connections in the girls who aren't majoring in "party".
Cosign. She's a lot luckier than some other girls. She needs to get rid of ALL her preconceptions and pretend this is the first day of rush at a school that only has these three sororities. Because for her, it is.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
...pretend this is the first day of rush at a school that only has these three sororities. Because for her, it is.
I have never heard it put this way before, and I think this is a GREAT way to view it. This is the first day of rush, and these are the choices--and they want you.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

RE: the "party house". A friend of my daughter, not at her school, went through recruitment in the midwest. She was told which were the "good houses, bad houses, and the slutty party houses."

So, she made a faux pas: After being released from her favorites she went to her rho chi, crying that she was only invited back to the party slutty houses. (This girl is very understated and only drank on Passover.) Her rho chi, a fabulous young woman from the Mom's description, told her quietly that the reps weren't necessarily correct. In fact, some things were just rumors started by vindictive girls.

Moving on....Friend stuck it out and pledged "just to see." Were there a few partyiers in the house? Yes. Most of the girls, including her rho chi, were very nice, fairly conservative girls. She fit right in to the conservative group. And she is happy.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Cosign. She's a lot luckier than some other girls. She needs to get rid of ALL her preconceptions and pretend this is the first day of rush at a school that only has these three sororities. Because for her, it is.
What she said! I love this and it is so true. I'm going to remember this and use it often!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

For Cassie, Suzie and Emma, this is the part of recruitment that is so hard, when favorite houses let you go, or when you feel you have few choices. My daughter had a similar experience as freshman too, and as a parent, it's so difficult to see them upset. My advice is to encourage your girls to be as open minded as possible and remember that they've only met a handful of the girls in each house. Just take each day as it comes and try not to get too set on one particular house. All of the sororities at Auburn have good points, as well as bad, but you can find a niche of close friends in any of them if you're open to the experience.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been reading your comments all week. It's been great reading about others' experience. I'm especially grateful to the optimistic experts who have shared excellent advice! I have to be honest and say that I've been a little obsessed and stressed about the recruitment process.

Coming from out of state, my D had heard nothing about each sorority's reputation, so she's really focused on how she feels around the girls and their philanthropies. She has heard a lot since starting the recruitment process, but she's continued with her open-minded attitude. Other than the Ice Water Teas, she's really enjoyed it. She said that the IWT round was overwhelming, but she loved the philanthropy round!

Although she has had one sorority that has stood out since day one, she says she knows she would be happy with any in her top seven. Of course, that was before I received a text from her this morning that she had been released by two in her top 7, but had been invited back to her number 8 and 9 choices.

The advice here has been tremendous! I'll share much of it with my daughter tonight again.

She said that she knows she'll be happy with just about any of them, so I think our outcome will be a positive one.

I'll update tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quoting again for awesomeness.

It's hard, but everyday PNMs have to wipe the slate clean and look at it like this.

As hard as it is, the chapters on your card are the ones who WANTED YOU enough to ask you back.

Yes, I know you liked XYZ a lot and you are sad that maybe your neighbor or roommate got an invite.

Moping about them isn't going to get you back in their doors.

Sometimes PNMs get soo upset and they drop out because XYZ cut them.

All that gets you is sad sitting in your dorm watching everyone else go to their parties.

So it is best to focus on what you HAVE.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Cassie is for now sticking with recruitment. We talked about going today and looking for the positive things. We will see how she feels at the end of the day. And then of course we will have to see if she gets any invites for the pref round.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

anxiously awaiting what cassie, emma and suzie thought about the day, and if they have any new favorites!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
Cassie is for now sticking with recruitment. We talked about going today and looking for the positive things. We will see how she feels at the end of the day. And then of course we will have to see if she gets any invites for the pref round.
This is great to hear- best of luck to her! I know there was one group going into this round that she wasn't feeling, but I strongly urge her to visit any and all Pref parties that she is invited to. If you've read many of the recruitment stories here, you know that many wind up falling in love with a chapter they previously weren't in love with. Pref can be a magical night- anything can happen.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. Can't wait to hear back about Cassie, Emma, and Suzie's experiences today! I am absolutely loving these parent/rec updates.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
Yay!!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Should have also added.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnDad View Post
BTW she had a rec letter for every one of the remaining seven.

...that while I think recs are very important, there isn't necessarily a correlation between getting an invite back to a house and having a rec. In fact, I have been personally contacted at the 12th hour to do last-minute recs on girls chapters were dying to bid...plus I know for a fact that the chapter members can usually run upstairs (or whereever) to get an advisor to sign off on a rec for a girl they want who does not have one. Bottom line - if a chapter wants someone, they will get a rec for her. And just because a girl goes through without a rec doesn't signal the end of the world!

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 08-12-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling error!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope that Cassie has good news tomorrow for pref round. Best wishes to her, as well as Emma, Suzie and AUmom2's daughter.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

We'll call my daughter Stephanie!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Suzie's report for the day; while I didn't get specifics, she said today was amazing and long. she mentioned this is tough, however, she is clear on her favs ( top 3), when I asked her, if by chance she didn't get two of her top favs what would the next two be... she fairly quickly gave me the next two and said she would be comfortable getting either of those houses back.

So in order of favs:
1. 49ers
2. Saints
3. Panthers
4. Bears
5. Rams

6. Broncos
7. Raiders

she didn't say much about the Broncos or Raiders, maybe it's an AFC thing
.. she likes the NFC better it appears.

GPhiB