Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,463
0 members and 1,463 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My MIL threatened to kill me when my husband I told her she was not allowed to invite her additional 60 guests to our small wedding. She was serious, but she also suffers from a mental health disorder that she has battled all of her life. Couple her mental health issues with occasional self medicating alcohol abuse a husband who basically ignores her or makes excuses for her, and you have a ticking time bomb. The entire family knows this and there have various funny, sad, and scary stories. Needless to say, I'm glad I live more than 1000 miles away and we only see her once or twice a year. My husband doesn't really consider his parents "parents" because he was shipped off to boarding school at a very young age and when he would be on break he spent the majority of the time at his aunt and uncles, whom he considers his real parents. He is the son that they never had and we have a great relationship with them.

Recently, the time bomb has been poked at and now I'm holding my breath for the blow up. I'm currently pregnant and my family is trying to plan my shower. My mom (who knows some of the stories and had to basically tell my MIL and my FIL to get their shit together or leave our wedding) called my MIL to tell her the date of my baby shower because it was the polite thing to do and because my MIL would need to make travel arrangements if she intended to come (My MIL left in the middle of my bridal shower because "people were being mean to her"...really, she just sat at the bar and drank the time she was there and didn't talk to anyone, but thats a whole other story). Well the date my mom and my aunt had chosen for my baby shower doesn't work for her - mainly because she doesn't want to pay to travel. She will be here in July for a wedding and would like the shower to be that weekend. Here are the reasons that it can't be that weekend:

1. I am not going to be here the day she wants to have it. Plans can not be changed. My best friend will be with me that day as well.
2. The wedding she is attending is a family wedding and the people who are in/a part of the wedding would be invited to the shower and they would not be able to attend the shower. I have a better relationship with the people that are in/a part of the wedding than I do with my MIL.
3. It's 3 weeks away. I'm sure many people will not be able to travel on such short notice.
4. I'm due in November and July is a little early to have a baby shower for a November baby.

MIL is on the verge of a blow up because she was told "no". Apparently she was fine with my mom on the phone, but called my husband and FREAKED out about it. He told her it wasn't about her and hung up. I am waiting for the insanity to ensue. I have told everyone that if she doesn't like when the shower is she can opt not to come and she can even opt not to come when the baby is born. I don't care and my job is just to make sure that I have a healthy baby. But her behavior still bothers me.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I want one shower. Just one big one combining both families & friends. No big deal right? My family has already started the planning & are excited about this. My MIL? Is planning a shower ON THE SAME DAY & TIME as the day my family picked out. Seriously? No matter how often I've tried to drill it into her head about what I want, she keeps ignoring my wishes. When I told her, she calmly stated that my family will just have to change the date of their party. She just doesn't get it.

I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh when I don't show up to her party.

Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 07-11-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I want one shower. Just one big one combining both families & friends. No big deal right? My family has already started the planning & are excited about this. My MIL? Is planning a shower ON THE SAME DAY & TIME as the day my family picked out. Seriously? No matter how often I've tried to drill it into her head about what I want, she keeps ignoring my wishes. When I told her, she calmly stated that my family will just have to change the date of their party. She just doesn't get it.

I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh when I don't show up to her party.
LOL. Did you tell her you wouldn't go to hers? For sake of family harmony, I'd warn her. As the mother to be, you get the final say, and I'd tell her that your family and friends will be at the other shower and thus, so will you. If she would like a shower for her friends that you will also attend, then she'll have to pick another day or have the shower without you. Families are CRAZY. Why is that?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I got one. I just learned this yesterday afternoon while randomly going through Facebook. Now, I will preface this by saying that I know Facebook is kinda stupid, but my SIL has apparently de-friended me within the past month or so.

What pisses me off is that she is an adult. She was in my wedding (more as a favor to my husband and his brother than anything). Whenever we DO see each other (always in their hometown, because GOD FORBID she and her husband drive the 2 hours to come see us, which they have never done), we hang out a bit while my husband and his brother hang out. She has my husband's parents wrapped around her little finger because she is a high-school dropout who refuses to get a job even though they always struggle with finances (allowing her to spend all of her time at my in-laws' house) that has given them their only grandchild and lives 3 miles away from them, and so she is over all of the time and is basically BFFs with my husband's mother. They can talk shit about me, I don't care.

I don't need to be her friend, that's fine. But what I do expect is for her to be a fucking ADULT and at least tell me why she is angered or offended by me. After all, it's not like we can just completely cut off contact. Of course I will see her at some point. My husband refuses to say anything to his brother, because he never takes my side in anything dealing with his family (and since she has been married ever since she was SIXTEEN to my BIL, she has been his "family" for about 10 years). I really want to send her a message, but I'm afraid that anything I say will just fan the flames. Any advice????
Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Okay, I got one. I just learned this yesterday afternoon while randomly going through Facebook. Now, I will preface this by saying that I know Facebook is kinda stupid, but my SIL has apparently de-friended me within the past month or so.

What pisses me off is that she is an adult. She was in my wedding (more as a favor to my husband and his brother than anything). Whenever we DO see each other (always in their hometown, because GOD FORBID she and her husband drive the 2 hours to come see us, which they have never done), we hang out a bit while my husband and his brother hang out. She has my husband's parents wrapped around her little finger because she is a high-school dropout who refuses to get a job even though they always struggle with finances (allowing her to spend all of her time at my in-laws' house) that has given them their only grandchild and lives 3 miles away from them, and so she is over all of the time and is basically BFFs with my husband's mother. They can talk shit about me, I don't care.

I don't need to be her friend, that's fine. But what I do expect is for her to be a fucking ADULT and at least tell me why she is angered or offended by me. After all, it's not like we can just completely cut off contact. Of course I will see her at some point. My husband refuses to say anything to his brother, because he never takes my side in anything dealing with his family (and since she has been married ever since she was SIXTEEN to my BIL, she has been his "family" for about 10 years). I really want to send her a message, but I'm afraid that anything I say will just fan the flames. Any advice????
Resist the urge. I don't know your SIL so I can't say for sure, but I change my friendslist on facebook all the time, and it's not a source of drama for me. And if she does have an issue, unless you caused it, it's hers, not yours, and if you did cause it, you'll find out eventually. It might not be anything you want to change/apologize for.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Resist the urge. I don't know your SIL so I can't say for sure, but I change my friendslist on facebook all the time, and it's not a source of drama for me. And if she does have an issue, unless you caused it, it's hers, not yours, and if you did cause it, you'll find out eventually. It might not be anything you want to change/apologize for.
Completely agree. If your husband won't deal with what is essentially his family issue, ignore it. It's not worth your time or energy. She's probably jealous of you.

AOII

Old 07-26-2011, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, guys. I guess I just needed to vent (and otherwise keep it to myself instead of sending her a message). Thanks for your thoughtful responses.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post

Since I have such a wonderful mil, would it surprise you that I also have a fabulous sil as well? Trust me, you do not want to know what convoluted reasoning she has for her behavior. It won't change.

We didn't go into their house for 28 years. We didn't go in because she didn't let Jews into her home. Is that reasoning or hatred or jealousy? Pick one, move on. We officially cut the ties btw. Recently, against her will we have had to see her The best part for you? (and me) She makes her point by hiding in the wine cellar (freezing cold) or leaving the minute we enter the door. (My mil lives with them so we take her out.)

My favorite? Asking my bil about him and he'll talk for an hour. She sat in her car in 100 degree heat so as not to talk to us. And she was in the wine cellar for 45 minutes...almost turned blue. Yes, passive/aggressive...but gosh, it works. Be appropriate, be the lady you are and know that you will infuriate her more by refusing to engage.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
We didn't go into their house for 28 years. We didn't go in because she didn't let Jews into her home. Is that reasoning or hatred or jealousy? Pick one, move on. We officially cut the ties btw.
What is up with your in-laws and the anti-Semitism? I mean, really. I thought I got a lot of it during my failed attempt at conversion but this takes the cake.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
What is up with your in-laws and the anti-Semitism? I mean, really. I thought I got a lot of it during my failed attempt at conversion but this takes the cake.
I sent you a pm.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
OMG, girl! Your SIL is a hot mess! I thought mine was bad. DH and I have never been inside my BIL and SIL's house either. However, they have been to ours (only because we had MIL move with us). Now that MIL is gone, and BIL can't sponge off anymore $ from her we won't be seeing them. BTW, MIL didn't have much, we are the ones that supplemented her each month
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My SIL called my husband last week saying that their mother was going to give her money to drive to Phoenix to live with us until she found a job. What? And who invited her? My husband asked if she had any interviews. Of course not. He also asked if she had worked out with her baby daddy that it was okay to take her son to Phoenix with her. She planned to just take him since she wants to break up with him! Double WHAT?! Anyway, my husband emphatically told her that we do not have a guest room and would not welcome her to kidnap her child and hide him in our home away from his father. He also told her that he would appreciate if their mother would stop hatching hairbrained plans involving us supporting his sister and her baby. BTW, she has a college degree but won't keep a job. Yippee! I prefer when I'm not communicating with my inlaws.

AOII

Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm lucky to have the in-laws I have. I generally enjoy spending time with them! That said, my MIL sends me all kinds of forwards and attachments (that probably have viruses) to my WORK email. Stories about cute kids, cats, jokes that I was emailed 12 years ago when I was in college, etc. She also comments on almost every one of my Facebook status updates, usually not getting my joke or sharing TMI on my Wall.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

she sounds lonely-could that be it?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I was reading this thread earlier today and I thought to myself "It's a good thing I like my in-laws, though there's been problems, they've been nothing like this. I'm lucky!" Granted they make me batty sometimes, we've always gotten along fairly well.

Now I can't stop fucking crying I'm so upset. My husband just got into a huge fight with them.

FiL lost his job 2 years ago due to economic lay offs. Ever since, he's been depressed, and slowly just keeps slipping into a deeper dark hole. Everyone in the family has noticed. He's in his 60's, but can't afford to retire yet, but no one will hire him because of his age. So he's skating by with odd jobs and unemployment, and he and MiL have been fighting like husband has never seen.

Well, while husband has been in the fire academy in columbus (mon-fri for the past 7 months), he has been living with his parents. He has only been using their house as a place to shower and sleep. He never even studied there, he always went to the library. He chipped in on food (shared whatever he bought, if he used the last of the milk or bread, he bought more, etc). He cleaned up after himself. One thing my husband is not, is a slob or lazy. He's very, very anal retentive about cleaning up.

Well, hubby graduates tomorrow and starts his first day of work on Monday. He will no longer need to live at his parents house. He will come home the 2 days he doesn't work (24 on, 48 off). Plus, we're moving in 3 weeks to be closer to our jobs, so driving long distances will no longer be an issue. Subsequently, we'll be moving closer to the in-laws, about 20 minutes away from them.

Recently things with them have gotten... weird. Out of his 2 brothers, we're the only ones with kids, and the only ones who've ever really been reliable for family stuff. First, last week when talking to his mom about us moving, his mom said "well, don't expect your dad to come down and help you guys once you're moved in. He's said he won't drive that far since gas is so high." Um, ok. We never planned on asking him to come down, even though I work long hours and hubby's future schedule, we could USE the help. But he's become such a cranky old man that he doesn't tolerate the kids very well. I'd never ask him. (Never mind the fact that he willingly drives 20 miles to the other side of the county to mow younger BiLs lawn for him once a week since he works out of town, and that's putting his riding mower on a trailer and towing it 40 miles round trip).

Then, MiL says to hubby on monday, "I don't know if I'll be able to come to your graduation on Friday, I don't think I'll be able to get out of work." Um, what?????? This is something my husband has been working so SO hard for, I couldn't be more proud. MiL has a habit of not being able to say "no" at work and as a result, they walk all over her. And it was a bit of a punch in the gut because when youngest BiL graduated from his fire training, they were there. They were there for the ceremony, they were there the day before when they had a practice fire videotaping and taking pictures. They made sure they were there, and they've displayed his pictures all over their house. BiL has been trying to get on with the Columbus FD, but has never been able to pass the tests. Hubby got on right away. BiL took classes at a community college and works part time at a few townships near where he lives, in addition to his full time construction job. Younger BiL has always been the "favorite" and hubby the stereotypical middle child black sheep.

Well, tonight, the inlaws came home in the middle of a fight. Hubby stayed out of it until it seemingly cooled down. Then MiL went out to their car for something, came back in and said to FiL "Thanks for bringing in the cooler" snarky of course (and this is the sweetest saint of a woman ever). FiL says "Well THAT sonofabitch could have brought it in." and pointed at my husband! WTF??????

Needless to say, shit hit the fan. FiL said that to take the heat off him and drag hubby into their fight. Lots of horrible awful things were said, about me, about hubby, about FiL. Hubby left, took all his stuff with him. Left his house keys there and the last thing he said to FiL was "Do not show up tomorrow. You aren't welcome. And until you apologize and go get help for yourself, you won't be seeing your only grandkids."

So, now they won't be at the graduation. my MiL volunteered to babysit the kids tomorrow night so hub and I could go to the giant graduation party at the union hall sans kids. That's not happening now.

Why can't we just have a normal extended family? All we have is each other to rely on, and it really sucks sometimes. Both of us growing up spent SO much time with our grandparents and aunts & uncles, because our parents were busy working. Our parents were so fortunate to have them. Now, we're trying to survive and work ourselves and pay off debt, but my kids don't have the grandparents or aunts and uncles willing or able (my mom and sister live so far away) to do the same for us. All we heard for years was "when are you moving closer?" and now we'll be closer and it won't matter.

There's a whole lot more, but I'm tired of typing and crying.