GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,502
3 members and 1,499 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 5

Emma texted. There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that she has a full slate of 7 for Skit Day!

The bad news is that she was cut by two of her favorities, the Diamondbacks and the Blue Jays. She was particularly surprised by the Blue Jays because so many of them came up to her to talk to her during her last visit.

Today she will visit the following, again in no particular order:

Angels
Dodgers
Rays
Reds
Cardinals
Cubs
Angels
Pirates

She still has two of her favorites left, and does like something about each of the remaining groups she has left.

I hope to update again to tonight.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

At 17 (or 18 or 19), life's disappointments are incredibly painful because we don't yet have the experience or resilience built up to understand that everything happens for a purpose, which may or may not be easily discerned. There are so many "firsts" to go through which shape and form us into the people we are to become.

And as parents we want to protect and shield our children; it is also difficult to trust the process. We do not want our children to hurt, although we know that life does hold bumps and bruises as well as elation and joy. How many times did I have to hear "life is lived forwards, understood backwards" before I truly understood and accepted what that meant? When you're in the moment, it's not easy to apply that. Believe me, I know.

My heartfelt belief is that "our" Greek Chat Auburn parents and daughters will find the strength to follow the paths they've set out upon, because I've been touched by the stories they've shared thus far. I am sending you all strength, confidence, and best intentions for outcomes (that may surprise you - how many times have we read about surprises? lots!). Please know that I am thinking of you all (as well as all the other young women and parents who may be reading this while going through recruitment), and I've been privileged to share your stories.

Deep peace to everyone.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

While it may be a little disappointing, I'm sure all the chapters she'll visit today are still wonderful chapters to belong to. Good luck to her, and I hope she finds her home at the end of the week!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

It is so hard for the girls on either side of the process to get a true picture of what the other is like in such a short timeframe.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
I afraid that I have not so great news this morning.

Cassie was cut by all of her top 7 choices.

She has 3 invites for skit day.

(1)Strawberry--Which she likes the girls, but has heard that they are a party group, and that worries her.

(2)Chunky Monkey--Which is actually supposedly one of the better groups, but she has not felt at home there all week.

(3) Cookie Dough--Which she says she will definitely not pledge.

She was obviously upset this morning, and feels like everyone else will have a full schedule, which I tried to assure her was not true.

I tried to urge her to go through the day with a positive attitude and try to see how she might fit in with either of the first two groups. I think we are both worried that she might not get any invites for the preference round, but i guess we will worry about that tomorrow.
AUMom, My niece went through recruitment 6 years ago at a competitive PAC 10 school. She had the perfect recruitment up until Pref where she was dropped from every group she LOVED and left with 2 groups that she thought were just ok. I got a phone call in tears over what she should do, what happened ect. I told her she had 2 options. She sticks it out and attends the 2 preference parties and makes a decision then OR she could drop out and forget about being Greek and move on. She chose option number 1. She pledged this group and the weird thing is it was a perfect fit for her. She didn't realize it at the time. She still is wistful for one group on campus (which cracks me up), but she has now graduated. She had a wonderful sorority experience and made life long friends in the process. BTW, she is as crazy about recruitment as I am

I feel for your daughter. It is so hard when your kids have disappointments in life. I always want to take away all the hurt. I think your daughter has a good chance of moving forward and I hope she gets to know her remaining groups better. Hang in there!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

What a great point someone said about "why would you want to be in a group that doesn't want you?" I will pass this along to my Bama PNM that is having a tough rush. My AU PNM cousin has 7 to go to. She was cut by her legacy house but we saw it coming. She has her favorite in the mix, another one she really likes, another middle ground option and a few she doesn't feel she would pledge. Hugs to all of those who are stressing for their favorite PNM. What a nerve wracking week!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

HI all-

I just got a text from Suzie, she said it was a bit hectic. She did receive a full 7 for today but was released from two she really liked.

I suggested that she go through today with " fresh new glasses" and look beyond the fluff and look for , sisterhood, how she could become involved.

Her houses today are
49ers
Saints
Panthers
Bears
Broncos
Raiders
Rams

As many of us on GC know, taking a second look is a good thing. Best wishes to all today.

GPhiB
Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

This is exactly what we say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnDad View Post
Basically her perception was that for those groups for which she had obtained a rec letter, she was matched with a hostess who "miraculously" had something in common with her - maybe it was her sport, maybe it was the same state, etc. But with the groups which she had not obtained a rec letter for, she seemed to be paired with a hostess who had been picked at random....and as a result there was no common interest. Needless to say those parties didn't go as well. So the rec letters cut both ways - 1) the sororites won't know about you, and you're more likely to get lost in the shuffle and cut; and 2) since they're not as prepared for you, you might not feel a connection and won't like them quite as much and are more likely to cut them.

...to the girls who attend or are not sure about attending our alum panhel's annual sorority info sessions! They can be helped so much by getting recs. AuburnDad, can I get your permission to use your quote on our power point slides for our May 2011 session?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

My rec girl at AU has a great party schedule today! She is very excited!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
...to the girls who attend or are not sure about attending our alum panhel's annual sorority info sessions! They can be helped so much by getting recs. AuburnDad, can I get your permission to use your quote on our power point slides for our May 2011 session?
Absolutely.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I afraid that I have not so great news this morning.

Cassie was cut by all of her top 7 choices.

She has 3 invites for skit day.

(1)Strawberry--Which she likes the girls, but has heard that they are a party group, and that worries her.

(2)Chunky Monkey--Which is actually supposedly one of the better groups, but she has not felt at home there all week.

She was obviously upset this morning, and feels like everyone else will have a full schedule, which I tried to assure her was not true.

I tried to urge her to go through the day with a positive attitude and try to see how she might fit in with either of the first two groups. I think we are both worried that she might not get any invites for the preference round, but i guess we will worry about that tomorrow.
I think she should "worry" - that's not the right word - think about it - today. Try to look at it this way - she can concentrate on the groups that at first, she probably didn't pay too much attention to. If she has specific reasons why she doesn't like them, perhaps she can try to tactfully find out if they are just assumptions, or if they truly are "not for her". If she wants to be Greek, she needs to be open to the choices in front of her.

I understand her disappointment, but some girls might have none. It takes ONE. If she's enthusiastic about learning more about theses three groups, she might open her heart to a group of girls she otherwise would have dismissed.

Her perception of "party group" is based on...what? Tent talk? I guarantee in that in the "party sorority" of 150-200 members, maybe 10-15% are hard-core partiers (and I'm guessing on the high side). What about the other 85-90%? Find connections in the girls who aren't majoring in "party".

Last edited by ree-Xi; 08-12-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I am sorry she is disappointed, it's a tough week for sure. It is FAR too early in the game for her to say she will definitely NOT pledge a certain group. With 200+ members, there is something for everyone in each of these chapters. Encourage her to see that her opinions can change, sometimes drastically with each round, and Cookie Dough might actually turn out to be a great fit for her. Good luck to all of them.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
They can be helped so much by getting recs.
BTW she had a rec letter for every one of the remaining seven.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Absolutely.

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Emma texted. There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that she has a full slate of 7 for Skit Day!

The bad news is that she was cut by two of her favorities, the Diamondbacks and the Blue Jays. She was particularly surprised by the Blue Jays because so many of them came up to her to talk to her during her last visit.

Today she will visit the following, again in no particular order:

Angels
Dodgers
Rays
Reds
Cardinals
Cubs
Angels
Pirates

She still has two of her favorites left, and does like something about each of the remaining groups she has left.

I hope to update again to tonight.
Yay! Someplace where the Pirates are still in the running in mid-August! Bada bing, bada boom. (It's easier if you laugh at yourself before someone else does it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volalum View Post

from this point on- GPA and resume doesnt really matter that much- looking for personality and if rushee fits in with the group!
This thread is for Auburn rush, not Tennessee. Please don't make assertions that may not be true outside your own campus experience.