Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,055
1 members and 1,054 guests
John

Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
I can't think of any for me right off the bat, although I did go to one wedding where they had an expensive ice scuplture of two swans with blue water running through it and then served stale goldfish crackers as a light snack and had mac and cheese on the buffet....

One of my friend's had a horrible experience standing up in another sister's wedding. It was a destination wedding in Orlando, but they couldnt' afford to have it in Disney World, so it was just at a hotel in Orlando. My friend was a bridesmaid and was told she had to fly down 3 days before the wedding. She arranged with the bride to have someone pick her up and when she landed and called the bride told her no one was coming and to take a public bus or call a cab. She she took a bus, checked in at the hotel and realized the next two days were basically the bridesmaids taking the bride out and paying for everything. they went out to Pleaure Island for Drinks one night and the night before the wedding she was informed that they would be getting dinner at a restaurant in Epcot so she had to pay to get in to the park and pay for dinner and that she realized when she got there that, once again, all the bridesmaids had to pay for the bride.

My friend came back and when I asked her how it was she stated that she thinks she spent more money being a bridesmaid than the bride did on the entire wedding.
After this and three nights at an expensive hotel she was expecting a snazzy wedding. Nope, 10 minute ceremony by the hotel chaplain (who left before signing the marriage license) an Ipod for a DJ, nothing but appetizers for dinner and no where to sit and the bride and groom left halfway through and never contacted her bridesmaids to thank them or anything...

Last edited by KDMafia; 08-10-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add something
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMafia View Post
After this and three nights at an expensive hotel she was expecting a snazzy wedding. Nope, 10 minute ceremony by the hotel chaplain (who left before signing the marriage license) an Ipod for a DJ, nothing but appetizers for dinner and no where to sit and the bride and groom left halfway through and never contacted her bridesmaids to thank them or anything...
Explains why the bridesmaids paid for everything. How cheap and ........just, not nice.

I was a bridesmaid in a wedding a couple weekends ago. I flew out 3 days prior to the wedding and stayed with the bride. She or her family paid for everything. I didn't spend a dime.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Bumping for the honeychile story factor. It's like a movie. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I just had an amazing time avoiding homework. Good Lord Almighty, I heart this thread. '

ETA: The wedding I attended this weekend was beautiful and definitely can't go in this thread. However, I did notice something that I've seen a lot of in this thread--they ran out of cake. Apparently, the one they had was not big enough for the number of attendees but that wasn't really the couple's fault. 20 people did not RSVP but then showed up to the wedding.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl

Last edited by christiangirl; 11-14-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

When I pledged KD, we received temporary big sisters on bid day. My temp big sis and my official big sis were best friends. My very best friend is the official little sis of my temp big sis (got it??? hope so because I can't repeat it and still sound sober). OK, temp big sis asked me to be in her wedding when I was a first semester law student. My BS was going to be the maid of honor, and the bride's little sis was another bridesmaid. The wedding was on a Saturday night. I had a final on Friday night and 3 on Sunday. The rehearsal was on Friday. I called bride the day I got the final schedule and told her my schedule and offered to drop out of the wedding (this was 3 months before the wedding). No, she wanted me still.

The same day I offered to drop out, she and her mother found that there was no place to have the wedding in December in which they could bring in all their own food. In order to have a wedding in which they did all the cooking they decided it had to be held at home-- no problem EXCEPT Dad decided if they were having the wedding at home they had to remodel the entire house. Construction begins almost immediately.

Bride picked patterns for brides maids dresses. We are all in hunter green but with different pattern. I don't sew. My mother does not sew. Bride says she will make my dress. I seem to be doing a lot of studying at her house with remodeling dust bothering me while she fits my dress. Everyone else has someone to make their dresses. Of course, the dress she picked for me has the most detail. Bride tells me at one fitting she will be making her own dress. We are now only 2 months to go. Construction is not going very quickly, bride has not started her dress.

3 weeks before wedding, house definitely will not be completed. Dad goes out to the first place he can find that has a room available for that particular Saturday night during holiday season and books the room It is a motor lodge.

I cannot attend the actual rehearsal since I am taking a final. Head over to the dinner and the father says to be in a loud drunken voice-- "You better not ruin the wedding tomorrow since your failed to show up for the rehearsal". My friends are as shocked as I am. As my best friend, big sister and I start to leave, bride says she better head out soon and START working on her wedding gown.

Saturday, I show up at the church at the appointed time. Bride shows up 1 hour late. Hair is a mess. She has been working on dress all night and all day. She had told us that she was going to have 50 small cloth covered buttons down the back of the dress. When she arrived she never got the button covered or put on the dress. We had to sew her into the dress.

The wedding as at an Episcopalian church. She wanted communion during the service. Maid of Honor and I were both Jewish. When priest offered us communion, we tried to say no very discreetly. As he stood in front of me getting frustrated because I would not take communion, I pulled a star out from under my gown. He proceeded to announce, "I can't believe these two girls turned down communion." YIKES!

At the reception, the food was awful, the room was super tiny, and the bride ignored all of the KDs. I was one of the first guest to leave since I had finals starting at 9 am. Maid of honor and my best friend left with me. A few weeks after the wedding she and new hubby moved into a newly build home. Maid of honor and I went to see them one day. She refused to talk to me because I left the wedding early. It has now been over 30 years and she still has not said 2 words to me.

DaffyKD
Old 11-14-2011, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
When I pledged KD, we received temporary big sisters on bid day. My temp big sis and my official big sis were best friends. My very best friend is the official little sis of my temp big sis (got it??? hope so because I can't repeat it and still sound sober). OK, temp big sis asked me to be in her wedding when I was a first semester law student. My BS was going to be the maid of honor, and the bride's little sis was another bridesmaid. The wedding was on a Saturday night. I had a final on Friday night and 3 on Sunday. The rehearsal was on Friday. I called bride the day I got the final schedule and told her my schedule and offered to drop out of the wedding (this was 3 months before the wedding). No, she wanted me still.

The same day I offered to drop out, she and her mother found that there was no place to have the wedding in December in which they could bring in all their own food. In order to have a wedding in which they did all the cooking they decided it had to be held at home-- no problem EXCEPT Dad decided if they were having the wedding at home they had to remodel the entire house. Construction begins almost immediately.

Bride picked patterns for brides maids dresses. We are all in hunter green but with different pattern. I don't sew. My mother does not sew. Bride says she will make my dress. I seem to be doing a lot of studying at her house with remodeling dust bothering me while she fits my dress. Everyone else has someone to make their dresses. Of course, the dress she picked for me has the most detail. Bride tells me at one fitting she will be making her own dress. We are now only 2 months to go. Construction is not going very quickly, bride has not started her dress.

3 weeks before wedding, house definitely will not be completed. Dad goes out to the first place he can find that has a room available for that particular Saturday night during holiday season and books the room It is a motor lodge.

I cannot attend the actual rehearsal since I am taking a final. Head over to the dinner and the father says to be in a loud drunken voice-- "You better not ruin the wedding tomorrow since your failed to show up for the rehearsal". My friends are as shocked as I am. As my best friend, big sister and I start to leave, bride says she better head out soon and START working on her wedding gown.

Saturday, I show up at the church at the appointed time. Bride shows up 1 hour late. Hair is a mess. She has been working on dress all night and all day. She had told us that she was going to have 50 small cloth covered buttons down the back of the dress. When she arrived she never got the button covered or put on the dress. We had to sew her into the dress.

The wedding as at an Episcopalian church. She wanted communion during the service. Maid of Honor and I were both Jewish. When priest offered us communion, we tried to say no very discreetly. As he stood in front of me getting frustrated because I would not take communion, I pulled a star out from under my gown. He proceeded to announce, "I can't believe these two girls turned down communion." YIKES!

At the reception, the food was awful, the room was super tiny, and the bride ignored all of the KDs. I was one of the first guest to leave since I had finals starting at 9 am. Maid of honor and my best friend left with me. A few weeks after the wedding she and new hubby moved into a newly build home. Maid of honor and I went to see them one day. She refused to talk to me because I left the wedding early. It has now been over 30 years and she still has not said 2 words to me.

DaffyKD
Sounds like you're better off without her friendship honestly
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

DaffyKD
There are so many problems with this story. But really a priest who sees the star and still doesn't get it? Yikes, glad I'm not in his parish.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I have three somewhat memorable stories.

I don't remember much from my step-brother's wedding, since it was about 7-8 years ago. What I remember from the ceremony:
1) Red roses everywhere!
2) The groomsmen failed at lighting the candles before the ceremony, so my dad got out his turboflame lighter, waved his hand in front of the row of candles, and BAM. So cool for a pyro 12-year-old...
3) The bridesmaids all wore their own black dress. I kind of like this idea because it seems that most women have a LBD in their closet (if not, it's a lot more versatile than some of the one-use bridesmaid dresses I've seen)

However, the reception...

The best man and a groomsman got drunk...incredibly, incredibly drunk...the best man insisted on giving lap dances to any and every woman in the vicinity. Including my mother. Not something I wanted to see at that age, not something I want to see now. He tried to give me one, but my mom got him away from me. My mom had an antique crystal punch bowl she brought for the ceremony, and I believe it either ended up cracked or missing.

My younger brother and I were shuffled off when things got even more crazy and rambunctious, but the groomsmen ended up spraying shaving cream all down the hotel hallway. In addition, all the pool furniture (and some lobby furniture) ended up in the hotel pool.

Also, my dad's ex-wife directed a few snarky, witchy-with-a-b comments directed towards my mother, but that wasn't anything special because that happens all the time.

The marriage lasted 11 months. She was cheating on him with two other men (one already married). Mom's still not thrilled because she walked off with the expensive Longaberger pottery kitchenware she gave them at the reception.

_____
Not quite funny-bad, but this kind of leads to Story #3.

There wasn't a ceremony when my mom and late father married, so it was a big deal to my grandma for her oldest girl to have a church wedding this time around. We all traveled to Nashville for the festivities. My three-year-old brother walked my mom down the aisle, stepping on her dress the whole way (I don't remember if Grandpa walked with her as well).

Things took a serious turn for the worse at the reception. Grandma had a stroke during the champagne toast. I didn't know what was going on then and no one would tell me. Now I feel bad for worrying so much about the cinnamon ice cream I never got to eat. Mom spent a good portion of her wedding evening/night in the emergency room. In her wedding dress.

Not entirely a ceremony/reception story, but my uncle has been married four times. With woman #4, the rest of the family told him that we thought he was moving too fast with her, to take it slow and think things through (the opposite of what he did with brides #1-3).

So he and Female #4 (I don't feel compelled to call her a lady) decide to announce their engagement a month after they met. This is eight months after my parents' wedding and the entire family was in town because my grandmother's brain cancer rendered her unresponsive. Mom is still angry about this today.

This marriage lasted a year, just long enough for their child to come into the world. Neither parent seems to put a lot of care toward the child's education or future. It saddens me
"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 11-20-2011, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sorority sisters just went to a wedding where they ran out of food. I couldn't believe that!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

I believe it, I went to a wedding where they ran out of food and the dad owned a big Mexican restaurant. Of course, he invited half the Hispanics in Georgia after they sent out invitations. I think I might have discussed the wedding earlier in this thread.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I believe it, I went to a wedding where they ran out of food and the dad owned a big Mexican restaurant. Of course, he invited half the Hispanics in Georgia after they sent out invitations. I think I might have discussed the wedding earlier in this thread.
This was apparently a smallish wedding (150 people) in downtown Chicago. I guess about the last five tables didn't get any food. If that happened at my wedding I would be so embarrassed!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it's a year later - but I thought I'd mention (for Mystic Cat) that my Anglican-Use Roman Catholic parish does still publish the banns. I love the banns.

AND I can't believe I forgot my brother's wedding. My mother was on a jury the week before the wedding and really freaking out that she wouldn't be finished in time to have any time to do what she needed to get done. She got out one day early. The bride was nominally Roman Catholic. I was a bridesmaid, and during the rehearsal the priest told me not to bow my head "so much" at the altar. I told him I usually genuflect. THEN - my family is Episcopalian and we had been told their would be no communion. SURPRISE - we are going to have communion, which my brother cannot have. I now know that communion is standard, but we were told this at the rehearsal the night before. My daughters, then 2 and 4, were flower girls. Adorable, yes - wearing beautiful black velvet bodiced dresses with white damasked taffeta skirts we got at Neiman-Marcus. (As an aside - I had Cinderella, my youngest, in a stroller when we went to pick up the dresses. She had a corn cob on a stick and was waving it about wildly. Mind you, I made sure we were nowhere near any stock, but it was amusing to see sales clerks on the verge of tears as we winded our way through the store) but TOO YOUNG to sit through an hour and a half service. Upon seeing the bride in her very 90s gown the 2 year old started saying "Cinda-ella! Cinda-ella!" Again, cute. But midway through the interminable service, just as we were all about to lose our minds, Cinderella starts to take off her shoes. First one, then the other. She then sits down, plays with her skirt, etc., etc. Meanwhile, the photographer is everywhere - this surprises me, since my church at the time and now both allow only non-intrusive non-flash pictures. It takes FOREVER. By the time we get to the reception at a Lake Jackson yacht club (if you are from TX you know why that is funny) where there IS NO FOOD LEFT. I am starving - no food. Where are the bride and groom? They are off getting pictures taken in front of random yachts. We didn't get to spend time with them - they finally came in, got the all important pictures, and left. It wasn't a wedding; it was a photo op.

Gypsyboots is eloping in January. We are working on a reception later in the spring. THERE WILL BE ENOUGH FOOD.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 11-20-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

DaffyKD
That one should be submitted to etiquettehell.com! What a horrible experience!

Oh, and Belle, around here, a full Catholic mass wedding is not the norm, unless both the bride and groom are Catholic. Hub and I had a full Catholic mass. I hate seeing little kids having to sit through a full mass wedding as a part of the wedding party. It's torture on them!

My brothers wedding is in June, and even though he's Catholic, they're getting married in a Methodist church with a minister and Catholic deacon presiding. 25 minutes should do it! I'm happy for my kids sake, since they're in the wedding. (Even though my grandma is stroking out because it'll be a non-Catholic wedding).

Last edited by IrishLake; 11-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

DaffyKD
You may have just ousted honeychile from the winning spot in this thread. Wow.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
When I was 10, I was the ring-bearer for a couple in my church. Everything about the ceremony was pretty by-the-numbers except for one thing: When the rear doors to the sanctuary opened, instead of striding down the aisle to "Here Comes the Bride," the bride launched into Elvis's "Hawaiian Wedding Song" in a quavery, slightly off-key vibrato (imagine a 30-something woman singing like Norma Zimmer, the "Champagne Lady" from The Lawrence Welk Show). The groom looked on in what can only be described as horror, as if a horse had just kicked him in the head.

I think they stayed together for, like, four months.
Somehow I missed this before. I am ROLLING, picturing "Norma Zimmer II" warbling, "Keeee kaliii neiii auuu..."