» Online Users: 1,065
3 members and 1,062 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 03-24-2005, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Florida, what the...?

http://www.alligator.org/pt2/050323freedom.php

SERIOUSLY ! Who the hell thinks this is a good idea 'sides this nut job?

By JAMES VANLANDINGHAM
Alligator Staff Writer

TALLAHASSEE — Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee voted along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out “leftist totalitarianism” by “dictator professors” in the classrooms of Florida’s universities.

The Academic Freedom Bill of Rights, sponsored by Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, passed 8-to-2 despite strenuous objections from the only two Democrats on the committee.

The bill has two more committees to pass before it can be considered by the full House.

While promoting the bill Tuesday, Baxley said a university education should be more than “one biased view by the professor, who as a dictator controls the classroom,” as part of “a misuse of their platform to indoctrinate the next generation with their own views.”

The bill sets a statewide standard that students cannot be punished for professing beliefs with which their professors disagree. Professors would also be advised to teach alternative “serious academic theories” that may disagree with their personal views.

According to a legislative staff analysis of the bill, the law would give students who think their beliefs are not being respected legal standing to sue professors and universities.

Students who believe their professor is singling them out for “public ridicule” – for instance, when professors use the Socratic method to force students to explain their theories in class – would also be given the right to sue.

“Some professors say, ‘Evolution is a fact. I don’t want to hear about Intelligent Design (a creationist theory), and if you don’t like it, there’s the door,’” Baxley said, citing one example when he thought a student should sue.

Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach, warned of lawsuits from students enrolled in Holocaust history courses who believe the Holocaust never happened.

Similar suits could be filed by students who don’t believe astronauts landed on the moon, who believe teaching birth control is a sin or even by Shands medical students who refuse to perform blood transfusions and believe prayer is the only way to heal the body, Gelber added.

“This is a horrible step,” he said. “Universities will have to hire lawyers so our curricula can be decided by judges in courtrooms. Professors might have to pay court costs — even if they win — from their own pockets. This is not an innocent piece of legislation.”

The staff analysis also warned the bill may shift responsibility for determining whether a student’s freedom has been infringed from the faculty to the courts.

But Baxley brushed off Gelber’s concerns. “Freedom is a dangerous thing, and you might be exposed to things you don’t want to hear,” he said. “Being a businessman, I found out you can be sued for anything. Besides, if students are being persecuted and ridiculed for their beliefs, I think they should be given standing to sue.”

During the committee hearing, Baxley cast opposition to his bill as “leftists” struggling against “mainstream society.”

“The critics ridicule me for daring to stand up for students and faculty,” he said, adding that he was called a McCarthyist.

Baxley later said he had a list of students who were discriminated against by professors, but refused to reveal names because he felt they would be persecuted.

Rep. Eleanor Sobel, D-Hollywood, argued universities and the state Board of Governors already have policies in place to protect academic freedom. Moreover, a state law outlining how professors are supposed to teach would encroach on the board’s authority to manage state schools.

“The big hand of state government is going into the universities telling them how to teach,” she said. “This bill is the antithesis of academic freedom.”

But Baxley compared the state’s universities to children, saying the legislature should not give them money without providing “guidance” to their behavior.

“Professors are accountable for what they say or do,” he said. “They’re accountable to the rest of us in society … All of a sudden the faculty think they can do what they want and shut us out. Why is it so unheard of to say the professor shouldn’t be a dictator and control that room as their totalitarian niche?”

In an interview before the meeting, Baxley said “arrogant, elitist academics are swarming” to oppose the bill, and media reports misrepresented his intentions.

“I expect to be out there on my own pretty far,” he said. “I don’t expect to be part of a team.”

House Bill H-837 can be viewed online at www.flsenate.gov.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CSUSigEp
I swear Florida is the most wacked out state in the Union.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I live in Tallahassee and yes, Florida is a fairly wacky state but we love it. Please understand that the article you posted was written by The Florida Alligator, the far-leftist student newspaper at the University of Florida. This legislative bill is a response to the Ward Churchill fiasco at the University of Colorado, and complaints hereabouts that leftist professors (with which we are abundantly afflicted) have been known to punish students for not parroting the liberal line.
Plus, politicians love the spotlight.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Whats sad is...

Back in the 50's anti communism legislation was passed for teachers to teach the dangers of communism as well. So I guess we've really made progress in the state over the past 50 years.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

You remember that? I had to take those classes in high school, but it was actually in the mid 1960s.

Last edited by Firehouse; 03-24-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I'm just wondering how many students are going to use this as a get rich quick scheme, and how many professors will be put out of a job because of it.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I'm just wondering how many students are going to use this as a get rich quick scheme, and how many professors will be put out of a job because of it.
That's what I was thinking.

It could definitely have a negative effect on the Flordia schools (thinking long-run here) b/c professors might be scared to teach there in fear they are going to get sued for a single word they said.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

This is probably the same kind of yahoo who wants to take everyone's right to sue corportations or for malpractice away, but make it possible to sue teachers and professors.

Also that list of "student names" seemed familiar...

"Mr Chairman I have the names of fifty-two card-carrying members of the Communisty Party in the State Department.

Watch the Manchurian Candidate and how they parody McCarthy. It's pretty classic.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry... I'm going to go off now... I think this is so wrong. The government should never tell professors what to say in class. Furthermore, opening them up to suit personally is insane. The whole point of higher education is to expose students to new ideas, some of which hopefully are outside of their comfort zone. Otherwise... What's the point? The point isn't to make the professor see the other side of the argument. The point is to have the student explain their own views and see some of the breaks in logic which exist in their own arguments. Whether they retain that view or adopt the view of the professor or somewhere in between, now they are looking at in a new way and thinking about different issues. Without that college would be no different than high school, just memorizing facts and figures.
What always weirds me out about these academic balance arguments is that it is not like there are tons of highly qualified, published, well educated creationists, revisionists, and radicals running around getting refused teaching positions. I went to the most conservative top tier law school in the country and we had quite a few conservative professors but they were very hard to come by. The truth is that many conservatives choose to go to less prestigous religious or philosophically run schools which don't have the prestige required to get hired at a major research university like Florida. Also, many of them reject publication and peer review or they choose only to publish in ideological journals. They refuse to have their work critiqued for the most part. I am sorry but I don't think a teaching position should be taken away from some left-leaning Harvard educated professor who has been published in well respected journals in his field and has submitted his work for critique by his peers so that it can go to some graduate of Liberty or Bob Jones University who's never been published in anything but ideological rags just for the sake of "academic diversity."
Churchill, whom I'm assuming sparked this thing, has published a lot of stuff in peer reviewed journals and has been heavily critiqued. He also has academic supporters. He had never been accused of marking a student poorly or degrading a student for not agreeing with him. The truth is that he was teaching and publishing controversy free until he made one specific comment. The comment was shocking but his point really wasn't. The idea that the 9/11 attacks should be seen in the context of U.S. commercial and military imperialism isn't exactly such a stretch. It's actually some of his other theories which are considered academically shakey. The firestorm around him now is because some are accusing him of stealing his ideas from someone else. If he gets fired, it won't be for his comment or ideas or because of how he treated his students; it will be for academic fraud.