GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,412
0 members and 1,412 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2004, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Expansion

I noticed this topic in another thread and thought it would be interesting to apply to us. The thread was discussing smaller GLOs and expansion. What do you all think of Sigma and the chapters it has expanded to and the current chapters? I feel that we charter at smaller campuses, does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone have any ideas on why we aren't at bigger schools?
I of course am so happy Sigma took a chance on my school. With an undergrad population of 1400 it was a big risk I think for a national sorority to feel that this would be a good environment to be the first to attempt bringing a national sorority on campus. Luckily we have been doing well and only goes to show the good taste Sigma has in its girls
Does anyone else think it is even fair to think of Sigma as a smaller GLO? Would anyone like to have Sigma be as large as say ChiO or Tri Delta? Do you think that would change us in anyway?
I hope this doesn't come off as negative in anyway... I LOVE TRI SIGMA! I honestly think I might bleed purple! I just thought it would be an interesting discussion especially since we come from different areas and get to experience different things!

slam always

Old 09-10-2004, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow hun! Lots of questions:

*Yes we are at alot of smaller schools and schools with new or smaller Panhellenics. If you look at our chapter list- you'll see we lost ALOT of chapters that were @ big name schools (Indiana Univ, Florida State, Mizzou, Ohio State)- they didn't thrive and closed.

After the closings @ these larger schools, I think our national made a decision to slow down on expansion at and dig for "diamond in the rough" schools where we COULD thrive instead of being in a rush to colonize @ big name schools.

* We joined the NPC later than ADPi, Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, etc. -- so naturally we are going to be smaller. We ARE expanding at about the same rate as the larger groups, just at smaller schools. They are bigger than Sigma b/c most of them were founded before us also.

* Also, we are very concentrated in certain areas (example: In PA, we probably have the MOST chapters of ANY NPC. BUT we only have ONE chapter in CA). You'll find that even some of the larger sororities have many chapters in one area and few in others.

* YES I'd LOVE to see Tri Sigma as large as Chi Omega, DZ, DG. And I think we'll get there. Think about it, all those orgs had to start somewhere.

*No I don't think it would change us in any way.

*And YES I think my blood is purple too

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-10-2004 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma used to be at University of Illinois as well, up to like 1987 I think...then, it closed.

BTW. Have you seen the Tri Sigma presentations? If you have, what's your opinion? Here's mine, weak.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

JocelynC, thanks for answering all my questions! I love hearing what other people think!! You brought up a lot of great points and I agreed with so many of them. I loved how you said the smaller schools were like "diamonds in the rough" that is such a cool perspective and I think definately applies. Like I said before, Sigma thought my school was a diamond when no one else did and I couldn't be any more humbled and blessed.

Sigma3girl, what do you mean when you talk about a presentation? Are you refering to the time when Sigma comes to campus and "advertizes" their intent/possibility of going to that campus? What other ones have you seen and thought stood out and why?
If that is what you meant by presenting then I would have to say in my case that we have nothing to compare it to, so therefore what we saw from Sigma was just amazing. We had an absolutely fabulous National consultant who came to our campus and her enthusiasm really made a huge impact. Since my school is all local sororities and fraternities no one has ever seen a presentation before. Our locals have been around starting in 1907, and they don't present anything. Sigma had videos, pamphlets, all these things you could buy from stores already made, quilts, just so many things no one else has. My college is definately an unusual case I believe so I would love to see what everyone else says about the presenting thing.

Boy I talk a lot..hopefully we'll get more girls out on these boards so I won't seem like I am always talking

Oh and rock on purple blood..thats freakin sigma spirit baby!
Old 09-12-2004, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlondeGurl
I LOVE TRI-SIGMA!!
I think we charter at small campuses because like JocelynC
said we are trying to do well at the smaller school first. To add to that some of the smaller schools in TX (where I used to live) had the biggest "Greek Life" that you always heard about. Examples would be Texas State and texas Tech if you arent greek on those campuses you are nothing! Also if we do good on smaller campuses then when we get to bigger campuses the smaller ones can help them out. I think maybe before we just rushed in without too much back up. I know that at Texas A&M some of the bigger sororities have girls from other campuses come to their recruitment to help out and it makes the chapter look better. If Sigma were to chater there and didnt have smaller sororities around to help them do that kind of thing they wouldnt be any competition for the bigger sororities that have been there forever.

I also agree that we are bigger in certain areas. If you notice our expansion there are more sigma chapters on the east coast and as you go west there become fewer. It just takes time. We cant be everywhere all at once.

I think it would be great if we were as big as Tri-Delt or DZ or ZTA. I dont think you are wrong for wanting us to be big. You love your sorority and only want it to be the very best. that being said I think we should put some money and hard work into the chapters that we already have and make them the BEST on their campuses before we try to go BIG. I think that there are some chapters that really need some work ... not that its a bad thing. Everyone needs some help now and then. I think that if we were the best on the small campuses first then when we go to the big campuses it would be easier to succeed there.

I know thats a lot to read, but I love my sorority and talking about my sorority.
SLAM
Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the fact that we are all talking about this reflects our readiness to grow and i am really excited about that. It is definitely true that we colonize where we feel that we can thrive the best. we also have money constraints other orgs don't that prevent us from going places where an awesome house is required to survive. We were actually chosen to colonize at LSU a few years back, but withdrew after the house we would have filled cost too much to renovate and be successful. I think we're on the cusp of a big colonization effort to "start small" and then go to bigger schools. in some states you have to get the Sigma name out there in commuter schools, etc. so if there is a transfer rate, or new students from the home town of a small school where Sigma rocks there will be an interest in colonization. Yes, we are smaller than alot of other orgs, but we're bigger than some too, I also think we are very rapidly growing and that we will get there. There are some states that we dominate (like PA, NC, even LA to a point) and I think we will get bigger and bigger. It's not any fault that we're smaller except for timing. NPC's like Chi O, Tri Delt, etc had almost 50 years of organized colonization time before we joined the NPC. We were mostly only colonizing at teacher's colleges and only joined the NPC when they ceased to exist. The way I look at it, other big orgs are done growing..they may colonize every now and again, but the crux of their progression has already peaked (that is not meant negatively, I am SO panhellenic, I just mean logistically not mentally, spritually, etc.). we are just begginng our rapid acsent to being the strongest and best we can be. our desire for change and growth is proof of that. as for our presentations...I've heard good and bad things. I honestly think it has to do with whom we're going up against. if it's nationals which are more our size, I think we shine. however, larger orgs have more money, and more staff, and make more elaborate presentations. I do think if we are trying to go for larger schools, then we do need to up the quality of our presentations. i actually think that presentations are one of the most important things we do. Again, I haven't seen one, just heard. I also heard that many sisters wish that younger alums and collegians were more involved with the presentations.

p.s. umm yeah, the whole bleeding purple thing? I'm just glad to know I have some sisters I can turn too if I ever need a trasfusion, b/c I definitely am all about some serious sigma spirit!
Old 12-04-2004, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NatKatSigma3
Exclamation

Sisters,

I was reading your reply in regards to this message, I myself am the MRD for the Johnson and Wales Denver Colony, One of the smaller school we have recently expaneded to. THough we are small we do hope to make an impact I am SO glad the Tri-Sigma is on our campus now there is nothing else I would rather be than a Sigma 3.

Natalie
Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
*Yes we are at alot of smaller schools and schools with new or smaller Panhellenics. If you look at our chapter list- you'll see we lost ALOT of chapters that were @ big name schools (Indiana Univ, Florida State, Mizzou, Ohio State)- they didn't thrive and closed.
Sorry to crash this thread!! But I was just wondering when Tri Sigma had a Mizzou chapter?! I never knew that!!

I wish it was still here... I have three friends who all went Tri Sigma at other schools... they love it!!

Last edited by STL Kappa; 09-19-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STL Kappa
Sorry to crash this thread!! But I was just wondering when Tri-Sig had a Mizzou chapter?! I never knew that!!

I wish it was still here... I have three friends who all went Tri-Sig at other schools... they love it!!
I want to say it was in the 70's. I really wish we were there too. We're at 8 schools in that state.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I know... there are Tri Sigmas EVERYWHERE... I love Kappa, but I kind of wish I had the opportunity to look at a Tri Sigma house... all of my friends from high school went to a school with a chapter... and three of them pledged!!

Unfortunately a house closed at Mizzou last year... and I don't think panhel is opening the campus for expansion, but goodness I wish they would!! Maybe you girls could come back!!

Last edited by STL Kappa; 09-19-2005 at 11:06 PM.