Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,204
0 members and 1,204 guests
No Members online

Old 03-07-2005, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Hoffman Resigns as University of Colorado President.

DENVER Mar 7, 2005 — University of Colorado President Elizabeth Hoffman announced Monday that she is resigning amid a football recruiting scandal and a national controversy over professor who compared victims of the Sept. 11 attacks to a Nazi.

Hoffman, who has served as president for five years, told the Board of Regents in a letter that her resignation is effective June 30 or whenever the board names a successor.

"It appears to me it is in the university's best interest that I remove the issue of my future from the debate so that nothing inhibits CU's ability to successfully create the bright future it so deserves," Hoffman wrote.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Banned

Re: Hoffman Resigns as University of Colorado President.

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
DENVER Mar 7, 2005 — University of Colorado President Elizabeth Hoffman announced Monday that she is resigning amid a football recruiting scandal and a national controversy over professor who compared victims of the Sept. 11 attacks to a Nazi.

Hoffman, who has served as president for five years, told the Board of Regents in a letter that her resignation is effective June 30 or whenever the board names a successor.

"It appears to me it is in the university's best interest that I remove the issue of my future from the debate so that nothing inhibits CU's ability to successfully create the bright future it so deserves," Hoffman wrote.
In response, 5 fraternities and 2 sororities said they will colonize the campus immediately.

-Rudey
Old 03-07-2005, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Hoffman Resigns as University of Colorado President.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
In response, 5 fraternities and 2 sororities said they will colonize the campus immediately.
Clever line, but as you know this doesn't have much, if anything at all, to do with the Greek System -- even given the alcohol death there.

Between the Football recruiting alcohol and sex scandal, alleged accounting irregularities in the CU Foundation, charges of spending large numbers of state dollars on alcohol, questionable accounting and use of foundation money for athletic trips and, of course, the controversy over Professor Churchill, the Ethnic Studies teacher and his comments about 9-11...

Well, even a sports columnist here in Denver called for her firing or resignation over the weekend -- and for all of the reasons above, not just the sports related ones.

She really did need to go.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 03-07-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Re: Hoffman Resigns as University of Colorado President.

Quote:
Won't having to search for another president to come to this trainwreck "inhibit CU's ability"? She might need to leave, but I find this a really stupid way to put the statement. She's not Lyndon Johnson.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Hoffman Resigns as University of Colorado President.

Quote:
Clever line, but as you know this doesn't have much, if anything at all, to do with the Greek System -- even given the alcohol death there.

Between the Football recruiting alcohol and sex scandal, alleged accounting irregularities in the CU Foundation, charges of spending large numbers of state dollars on alcohol, questionable accounting and use of foundation money for athletic trips and, of course, the controversy over Professor Churchill, the Ethnic Studies teacher and his comments about 9-11...

Well, even a sports columnist here in Denver called for her firing or resignation over the weekend -- and for all of the reasons above, not just the sports related ones.

She really did need to go.
I agree with you. My comment was just humorous to me.

-Rudey
Old 03-07-2005, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The Ward Churchill stuff is really pissing me off -- it shouldn't even be an issue but DAMN everyone is still talking about it.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
The Ward Churchill stuff is really pissing me off -- it shouldn't even be an issue but DAMN everyone is still talking about it.
Well some of us do take issue with it. We'd like to think that others don't hold a monopoly over what we take issue with. There is a thread on the issue as well.

-Rudey
Old 03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
If his comments had been about pretty much anything except 9/11 it would probably have been old news by now.

Vis-a-vis Hoffman, I thought she should have taken the bullett along with Dick Tharp, the Athletic Director (and Gary Barnett, the football coach should have as well) after that mess. There was a program out of control on all of their watch. She could have survived it if she had taken decisive action then.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

DeltaAlum,

What is needed on this Campus of a Major University that as said a friggen train wreck is some major GC Members to go in and straighten it Up.

I nominate you as Pres. I apply for the Greek Dictator of Campus. Also will take responseability of Sports, ROTC and any other stupid is as stupid does Groups!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-08-2005, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Tom,

Thanks, but that a headache I really don't need.

And I'll guarantee the Greek System up there is a headache you don't need.

As they say, Boulder is 35 square miles surrounded by reality.

(Actually, truth is that it's a great school, but someone is going to have a rough time turning this stuff around. Hoffman apparantely didn't have what it takes to address these issues head on)
Old 03-08-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Also will take responseability of ... any other stupid is as
stupid does Groups!
You can put my thumb over a few of those if you want.