Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,394
2 members and 1,392 guests
Cookiez17, UW_dawg

Old 03-22-2004, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
Marriage and Divorce Social...what is it?

I saw it on one of the sorority's webpages...wondering if anyone knows now it works??
Old 03-22-2004, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
Nobody knows??? Would if help if I siad it was on a Phi Sig site?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
We had one of those with my house last year. What happens is that the guys and girls all get rings with numbers on them. When you get to the fraternity that you are having the social with, you have to find the brother with the same number as you and that is your husband for the night. At the end of the night you guys divorce (unless you guys really hit it off and go out, which happened with my house). If I missed anything, I am sure another GCer will fill in what I missed.

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 03-23-2004, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

They also have these at Mizzou, as FAB*SpiceySpice explained to me. When you get paired with fraternities for Homecoming, Greek Week, whatever, you have a "Marriage" social at the beginning of the Homecoming prep time, and then when it's over you have a "Divorce" social.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:16 AM

We did this social differently back in the day. You have to remember that this was early 2000 so it was before a lot of risk management policies came into effect. We were still allowed to have socials at fraternity houses and alcohol did not have to be distributed by 3rd party vendors.
We all gathered at the fraternity house and we wore a string around our necks. The string had a paper ring on it. We wrote our names on the paper rings. While hanging out and dancing at the social, you'd meet a fraternity member. You would get married and switch your ring necklaces (and take a shot). Whenever you got bored with your spouse, you got a divorce and switched your necklace rings back (took a shot). I think I was married and divorced about 7 times that night.
Out of all the socials during my collegiate days, this one ranked in the Top 5. It was a great way to get to meet the guys in the fraternity.

*edited for spelling

Last edited by ZTAngel; 03-31-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Our "Marriage & Divorce" socials (2001) were similar to ZTAngel's. The boys would pass out a card (from a deck of cards) to their group & the girls would do the same. Then they would start calling the card names. The girl & boy who had the same card (let say 10 of hearts) would take shots off the ice sculpture to get married. You could also take a shot to go on a honeymoon, get divorced, married again (if you wanted to switch partners), etc. A lot of fun.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

My story is similar to the others...We did this mixer with PKP when I was pledging and we all still talk about how it was one of the best ever. For the 'official' mixer we played something similar to the Dating Game. Then once the mixer was over we had an after party and we each got paired up with a guy. You would get married, get a plastic ring and take a shot (can't remember what it was). Then you'd go on your honeymoon and take a sex on the beach shot. After that you could hang out or if you got bored you would get divorced and take a shot of Goldschlagger off the liquor luge. Then you'd find another guy and do it all over again.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beta~chi~2004 Send a message via Yahoo to beta~chi~2004
when i pledged we had prom night where we were matched up with the other pledges from our brother fraternity. we got dressed up and went out to eat. the catch was that they could only spend $1 and they had to feed us. it was fun and everyone had a good time.