Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,394
0 members and 1,394 guests
No Members online

Old 03-10-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IUPChapAdvisor Send a message via Yahoo to IUPChapAdvisor
Closing chapters too much

Do you think that Nationals has become to money hungry and is closing too many chapters too fast or are they trying to keep chapters around even if they are still struggling?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Closing chapters

As we all know Nationals has been MUCH better about giving chapters a voice and giving dedicated chapters a chance. I know because ZZ was there last Summer. Had 21 guys and owed a bunch to Nationals; they gave us a chance and we rushed 21 in Fall and 7 in Spring.
I think if they see that your chapter is falling behind they will help out if they feel you can go somewhere and get back up. A chapter falling behind cannot afford to feel self pity, just got to keep trucking and do you're very best.
I wish chapters never had to close just like I wish we never had to financially expell anyone. But sometimes it has to be done; one I've seen this year seemed like it really had to be done, unfourtunatly.
I do wish that Nationals would re open chapters like Sam Houston, UH, SMU, and other older chapters that still have dedicated alumni.
I encourage every brother to work within the system if they think something should be changed. RLA's, Convention, at chapter visits, alumni groups are a great way to do that.
For what it's worth.

YITBOS,
Caddy

ZZ chapter, Fall 2000
Old 07-15-2004, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

how would nationalz be "money hungry" by closing chapters? they'd loose money that way
Old 07-26-2004, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I think they only do it when absolutely neccessary, but at the same time, Nationals isn't exactly as responsive to troubled chapters as much as I hoped (especially after Chicago).
Old 07-26-2004, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree to an extent but I do believe that the "help" is out there and a lot of our chapters are just want someone to come in and fix things or even tell them how to fix it...thats not really helping much. There needs to be an effort not only on the part of nationals (and I couldn't tell you how well they are doing on that, i really don't know) but also on the chapters part. I do know that when a chapter has utilized its resources (campus, nationals, alumni) they typically find the help they need. I think its safe to say sometimes that the help we need is not always the help we "want". Example, "I want you to change your alcohol policy so I can have rush parties" instead of " I want you to help me learn how to recruit without alcohol."

Do these chapters that "need" help go to Convention? Leadership Institute? RLA? Do they call HQ and ask for help? Do they submit annual reports? At Chicago they said only a handful of chapters did that.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

"I think they only do it when absolutely neccessary, but at the same time, Nationals isn't exactly as responsive to troubled chapters as much as I hoped (especially after Chicago)."

DeltaSig Stan: Which troubled chapters hasn't nationals been responsive to since Chicago?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to oudeltasig04
i dont think that closing chapters is necessary but should only be done under certain circumstances dealing with how the chapter was handling things, either by not having enough member or getting into too much trouble and by not representing the fraternity on their campus.