Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,181
0 members and 1,181 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2004, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Brothers,

Kappa Sigma has set out to recruit the largest number of quality men possible this year. We have asked each chapter to raise the bar of excellence at their respective campuses. We have asked them to strive to be number one in all aspects. Many of our chapters are answering the call and having great success, not only in recruitment but in the areas of scholarship, leadership, fellowship and service. It is a great time to be a Kappa Sigma!
Old 09-20-2004, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Brothers,

I wanted to report that Epsilon-Omega Chapter (Georgia State University) in Atlanta took 24 new pledges on Bid Day this past Saturday. The class included 2 legacies.

The chapter is very excited to start them on the journey to become Brothers.

AEKDB
Old 09-21-2004, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

ksig600:

Thank you for your post reporting this Fall's pledge results at Epsilon-Omega. I wish we had more such posts from other chapters.

What other fraternities are on your campus, and how does your 24 Fall pledges compare with the number of pledges taken by those other fraternities?

How many pledges did you take last Fall? I note that the Spring, 2004 issue of The Caduceus reports that you took 40 pledges over the course of the last [i.e., 2003-2004] academic year But I can't find a report in that issue or in the Winter, 2003-2004 preceding issue as to how that number broke down between Fall, 2003 and Spring, 2004 pledges.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

The theta theta chapter pledged in 25 guys this fall. Largest pledge class on campus and the largest since our return to Western's campus.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stufield
ksig600:

Thank you for your post reporting this Fall's pledge results at Epsilon-Omega. I wish we had more such posts from other chapters.

What other fraternities are on your campus, and how does your 24 Fall pledges compare with the number of pledges taken by those other fraternities?

How many pledges did you take last Fall? I note that the Spring, 2004 issue of The Caduceus reports that you took 40 pledges over the course of the last [i.e., 2003-2004] academic year But I can't find a report in that issue or in the Winter, 2003-2004 preceding issue as to how that number broke down between Fall, 2003 and Spring, 2004 pledges.
On our campus we have:

Pike (extended 27 bids, received less than 24 pledges)
Sigma Nu (extended 22 bids, received around 20-22 pledges)
Theta Chi (extended around 10 bids, received around 8 or 9 pledges)
Pi Kappa Phi (extended 14 bids, recieved 14 pledges)

Kappa Sig extended 27 bids and received 24 pledges...the most pledges out of everyone. This rush also put our chapter total at #1 on our campus with over 70 on our roster.

Last year we reported 40 pledges:
Last fall we took 26 and in the spring took 14

Last edited by ksig600; 09-21-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ksig600
On our campus we have:

Pike (extended 27 bids, received less than 24 pledges)
Sigma Nu (extended 22 bids, received around 20-22 pledges)
Theta Chi (extended around 10 bids, received around 8 or 9 pledges)
Pi Kappa Phi (extended 14 bids, recieved 14 pledges)

Kappa Sig extended 27 bids and received 24 pledges...the most pledges out of everyone. This rush also put our chapter total at #1 on our campus with over 70 on our roster.

Last year we reported 40 pledges:
Last fall we took 26 and in the spring took 14
Congrats on coming out on top on campus - always nice to get a good number and beat the other guys on top of it.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

As there have not been any recent posts to this thread, I thought i would 'refresh' it by posting a list of Fall, 2004 Rush results that I have assembled from (a) earlier postings to this thread, (b) postings on the 46EASTLAWN listserve, (c) the websites of some chapters (I have by no means viewed the websites of every chapter that has one, so there may be ... almost certainly are ... rush results posted on others), and (d) some private e-mails I have received.

IHQ has results from dozens and dozens of chapters. I would think that it would publish an ongoing, continually updated list of those results on the Fraternity's Website, as that would clearly be positive publicity for the Fraternity, especially for (a) prospective future rushees of the chapters that have reported, (b) rushees and prospective rushees of other chapters that have not yet completed rush, and (c) members of local fraternities, interest groups, or individuals at schools where Kappa Sigma is not currently represented and who would be impressed by the Fraternity's overall highly impressive rush results. But the lack of such a list is just one example of many ways in which the Fraternity fails to generate anywhere near as much positive news and publicity for itself as it could on the Website.

Obviously, the following list is highly unofficial, and I would welcome any corrections and/or additions to it.

Gamma, Louisiana State University, pledged a whopping 86, an incredible increase of 50 over the 36 pledged last Fall.

Xi, the University of Arkansas, pledged 65 men, 21 more than the 44 pledged last Fall.

Gamma-Rho, the University of Arizona, pledged 51, with a few more pending, an increase of 12 thus far over the 39 pledged last Fall.

Theta-Mu, Northwestern State University (Louisiana), pledged 45; a 150% increase over last Fall (18); largest class on campus, next closest only pledged 13.

Xi-Delta, the University of Texas at San Antonio, pledged 44 (with the possibility of several more), an increase of 13 thus far over the 31 pledged last Fall, and, as last Fall, the largest pledge class on the UTSA campus.

Lambda, at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, pledged 42, one of the largest pledge classes in its history, and double last Fall's pledge class.

Delta-Delta, the University of Florida, pledged 40 (initially 43, but three backed out). This was one of the largest, and perhaps, but not positively, THE largest pledge class at the U of F this Fall.

Epsilon-Nu, the University of Southern Mississippi, pledged 24 freshman in formal rush, which was 23% of all bids signed and 9 more than the next fraternity; also signed 13 transfer students, for a total of 37 pledges, the largest pledge class on campus for the fourth year in a row; will continue to recruit through the open rush period which extends to October 1st.

Epsilon-Mu, the University of Tulsa pledged 33, the largest pledge class on its campus, and more than doubling last Fall's 14 pledges.

Epsilon-Upsilon, the University of North Texas, also pledged 33, an increase of 14 over the 19 pledged last Fall and the largest pledge class on the UNT campus.

Epsilon-Xi, the University of Texas at El Paso ["UTEP"], also pledged 33, the largest pledge class on the UTEP campus this Fall..

Beta-Chi, the University of Missouri, Rolla pledged 32, its largest pledge class in many years, and the largest class on its campus.

Kappa Zeta, Georgia Southern University, pledged 30 (out of 36 bids offered), the largest pledge class at GSU (Sigma Chi was second with 24) for the third consecutive semester, and the third consecutive Fall semester that the chapter has pledged 25 or more. But it is two LESS than last Fall's class.

Kappa-Phi, George Mason University, pledged 30, a 131% increase from the 13 pledged last Fall.

Beta-Eta, Auburn University, pledged 24 after completion of formal rush, according to the chapter's website.

Theta-Theta, Western Kentucky University, pledged 25, the largest pledge class on campus [reported by theta_theta_wku on this thread].

Epsilon-Omega, Georgia State University, took 24 pledges, including two legacies. This was the largest pledge class at GSU this Fall (by one or two over the Pikes), but was two LESS than last Fall's class of 26.

Nu-Gamma, Pratt Institute, pledged a total of 24, the largest pledge class in their history, in two different recruitment periods (14 in the first pledge class and 10 in the second).

Theta Eta, the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, pledged 22, which was 52% of all men that went through formal Fall rush.

Alpha-Eta , The George Washington University, pledged 21 men, an increase of 13 (163%) over the 8 pledged last Fall.

Gamma-Gamma, Colorado Mines, and Mu-Gamma, Texas A & M, both report 21 Fall pledges on their respective websites.

Alpha-Delta, Pennsylvania State University, pledged 20 men, quadrupling their last Fall's pledge class of 5, a significant increase at this prominent school with a large, highly competitive Greek system where Kappa Sigma has struggled for the last several years.

Lambda-Omicron, the University of North Alabama, had 20 bids accepted bids and the brothers were "still waiting on a few more as well due to the holiday weekend travel", as reported by EmLee, a UNA Alpha Delta Pi alumna, on this thread] on September 8th.

Xi-Rho, Richard Stockton College, pledged 16 pledges, a 400% increase over the 4 pledged last Fall, in a deferred rush system [all pledges are in the sophomore or higher classes].

Alpha-Pi, Wabash College pledged 15 [reported by jharb on this thread].

Xi-Phi, the University of South Carolina, Upstate (formerly the University of South Carolina, Spartanburg) pledged 15, a few more than the two other fraternities on campus, SAE and Pi Kappa Phi [reported by chapter member Ray Owens on this thread].

Delta-Lambda, Montana State University, pledged 14 in formal rush, a 100% return on bids given and a 100% increase over last year's formal rush results; presently the largest pledge class on campus, out of nine national fraternities.

Gamma-Phi, West Virginia University, a chapter of only six actives, pledged 14 this Fall [reported by KSigkid. Mu-Psi, 03, on this thread].

Epsilon, Centenary College, recruited 14 pledges in formal rush, more than double the 6 pledged last Fall, and more than doubling their chapter size. The 14 pledges were 52% of the men going through rush, and twice as many as the closest competitor's pledge class.

Alpha Colony, California State University, Fresno ["Fresno State"] so far this rush period (which is not yet over) have 12 pledges, a 300 percent increase over last Fall.

Xi-Lambda, the University of Delaware pledged 12 (in a rush interrupted by a hurricane), an increase of one from the 11 pledged last Fall.

Mu-Rho, Southwest Missouri State University also pledged 12, as listed on the chapter's website.

Nu-Iota, Rowan University pledged 8, one short of tripling last Fall's 3 pledges, in a deferred rush system [all pledges are in the sophmore or higher classes].

Lambda-Iota, Lyon (Arkansas) College shows one Fall pledge on its website. I therefore assume (hope) that he is an upperclassman, and the school has a deferred rush.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Thats 34 out of 220 possible chapters and colonies?

It would be really pleasing to see if that trend continues. 34 chapters with great Rushes is a tribute to those chapters. If the majority of our chapters start fcuntioning well above normal that becomes a tribute to our fraternity.

Thank you Stufield for posting all that.

Any update on the particulars of the champion quest program? Is it responsible?
Old 10-11-2004, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Update on the Lamdba Omicron chapter:

From the Lamda Omicron Alumni website:

"Fall Rush 2004 ended the first week in September, with Bid Day on Saturday. Just under 20 men pledged (the exact number is pending because a couple of rushees were out of town). We were very impressed with the caliber of the new pledge class and look forward to great things from them.
This takes the undergraduate chapter to around 50 members strong."
Old 10-12-2004, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

For those of you who are not part of the 46EastLawn listserve, Don Jones, the District Grand Master of District II, advises of the following Fall rush results for the four active chapters and one colony presently in that District (where further expansion is very much needed):

Gamma-Pi, MIT - 10
Epsilon-Zeta, University of Connecticut - 16
Mu-Psi, Boston University - 22
Xi-Beta, Northeastern University - 30
Suffolk University Colony - 17

Kappa Sigma is by far the largest fraternity on the Northeastern campus, and I believe it is also the largest on the BU campus. I'm sure that "Ksigkid", a BU alum, can confirm or correct this latter statement.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stufield
For those of you who are not part of the 46EastLawn listserve, Don Jones, the District Grand Master of District II, advises of the following Fall rush results for the four active chapters and one colony presently in that District (where further expansion is very much needed):

Gamma-Pi, MIT - 10
Epsilon-Zeta, University of Connecticut - 16
Mu-Psi, Boston University - 22
Xi-Beta, Northeastern University - 30
Suffolk University Colony - 17

Kappa Sigma is by far the largest fraternity on the Northeastern campus, and I believe it is also the largest on the BU campus. I'm sure that "Ksigkid", a BU alum, can confirm or correct this latter statement.
Yes, Kappa Sig is the largest on BU campus, and we have been for quite a number of years. It's good to see that the undergrads got a solid rush class, which if my memory serves me correctly stands as the largest in our chapter's history.

I'm interested to see where expansion goes in the district. It seems like the Suffolk colony is doing well, and I know there have been some other schools brought up for discussion. Just goes to prove that there can be an active and thriving Greek atmosphere in the Northeast.

Thank you stufield for the info...I was wondering how the rest of the district did, and I hadn't seen anything on the listserve to which I belong.

AEKDB
Collin
Proud Mu-Psi chapter alum

Last edited by KSigkid; 10-12-2004 at 09:32 AM.