Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,523
4 members and 1,519 guests
Cookiez17, indygphib, John, MsAnon

Old 10-07-2004, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Another question (only to those who can answer intelligently): If Nationals was going to be in _________ (favorite city of your choice) and Brothers________, _________, __________, and __________ (favorite brothers of your choice) were going to go, would try to go?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Virtuous Woman
Another question (only to those who can answer intelligently): If Nationals was going to be in _________ (favorite city of your choice) and Brothers________, _________, __________, and __________ (favorite brothers of your choice) were going to go, would try to go?
Good question. That's the exact reason why I'm going. Denver is close enough that we can take a bus and majority of my chapter is going. If it was on either coast and only a few brothers were attending, I wouldn't go...

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that it is more so because of the timing and money! For me, money factors in because I have to fly home to Detroit for Christmas and buy gifts so if i were going to nationals, i would not have money for hotels or spending! And timing for me, because it is right around the holidays where as most sorority and fraternity conferences (NPHC) are during the summer!

News @ 9
9-ZP-03 ALPHA
24 Survivors of APOcalypse
Old 10-07-2004, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Well i dont know what im doing yet have ot see how my money is, i have sectionals and nationals for sigma coming up , one in bahamas and the other in LA so money is tight but i will try to make it
Old 10-07-2004, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Couple of comments...

I've been to '88,'90,'92,'94, '&'00.

Rotation of convention is East, South, West & North and Back again. And it can't be held again in the same city when it comes back around. (Both rules since Con-con in 1967) This forces at least 16 years between conferences in the same city.(barring changing boundaries) but exactly a 16 year gap has occured a count of times including Denvery in 72, 88 & 04. Denver is just that much closer for those who are driving...

Also, there are those brothers (myself included for at least two conventions) who *never* leave the hotel. For example for '94 in Dallas which was held at a Hotel at Dallas Fort Worth Airport, I came in by plane spend 4 days & nights in thehotel (except for going out to the parking lot for thebloodmobile) and then flew out...

With the next being in the North, and region IX unlikely to put forth a bid (No other city in IX other than MSP is really able), Regions V, VI & VIII are the ones likely to put forth a bid for next time. As far as I know only Louisville has *really* gotten going. If Louisville wins it would be the first city to get a convention in 28 years with no major league team in it. (last was 1978 in Memphis)

And I'm not going, too many family commitments..

Randy
Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Wasn't there talk of a group putting together a bid to have nationals in Indy or am I imagining that?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
Indy, Grand Rapids, Louisville

Yes, there was talk of that at one point - but the hotel and other sites that were proposed were rented/reserved by another organization (I think Campus Crusade for Christ, but I could be wrong) and there were no other suitable facilities to continue the bid.

Grand Rapids, MI submitted info to be considered, but did not meet all criteria, and so will not be put forth to the Time and Place Reference Committee for consideration.

Louisville will be put forth for consideration.

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GoldnBlue2004 Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnBlue2004
Quote:
Originally posted by sweete81
I think that it is more so because of the timing and money! For me, money factors in because I have to fly home to Detroit for Christmas and buy gifts so if i were going to nationals, i would not have money for hotels or spending! And timing for me, because it is right around the holidays where as most sorority and fraternity conferences (NPHC) are during the summer!

News @ 9
9-ZP-03 ALPHA
24 Survivors of APOcalypse
This is true. Most sorority and fraternity conferences are during the summer.
FL 06

A Phi A...there is no other way.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Attractive#7 Send a message via Yahoo to Attractive#7
The real reason we aren't going is b/c we don't want to. This is addressing the question that was presented and as many people can jump down my throat as they want to, but this is my opinion.

A lot of brothers might not be going b/c of money and/or location (so i am not refering to you) but if I really wanted to go I could care less where it was located nor how much it cost. There is not penalty in not going and how does it benefit us by going? I am aware that legislation (spelling) is passed there and i care about that but not all brothers do. There has to be something that will spark the interest of all brothers. I would love to go to Denver b/c I've never been. I can't miss work and I dont have the money to travel right now *honestly* but I miss work for a rack of other events and I have money to go out and do everything else I do...It's all about priorities and Nationals were not mine this year.

We should do more to make this event something everyone would look forward to attending as well as giving some type of incentive for attending or penalty for not. I do plan on attending in 06 if I am able.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
The real reason we aren't going is b/c we don't want to

but if I really wanted to go I could care less where it was located nor how much it cost

It's all about priorities and Nationals were not mine this year
THANK YOU!!! That was my whole point but some people refused to be honest about it.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Attractive#7 Send a message via Yahoo to Attractive#7
no prob man!!! if u can't be honest with ur brothers...with whom can you be honest???