GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,368
2 members and 1,366 guests
John, navane

Old 09-14-2004, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WyoAlph
Recruiting athletes

While I've been an alumnus for a little more than a year, my younger brother remains in the chapter and keeps me abreast of what's going on at Wyoming Alpha.

The most recent thing he told me was that they've had a lot of football players wander over to the house and hang out. After a while, they express some interest. However, they do have one big worry that prevents them from pursuing that interest. (At least they say its a concern) TIME.

The football players at UW are required to make all practices, lift at least eight hours during the week and attend study tables just as much. Many of them say the can't fit the demands of fraternity life (mostly life as a pledge) around that and do it right.

Wyoming Alpha started locally as Sigma Beta Phi (otherwise known as the 10th Street Athletic Club because of all of the athletes in the chapter) in 1903 and continued to be a house full of athletes and the top campus leaders well into the 1970s. That and other high profile alumni and athletes on other campuses show me that its possible for intercollegiate athletes to enjoy the benefits of fraternity life.

Any suggestions to quell these concerns? Any personal experiences?
Old 09-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

You've partially answered your own question, I think. Point out to these athletes that the chapter was essentially founded by athletes. I'm sure that lifting and studying together as both athletes and as pledges shouldn't change their schedules appreciably. Anyway there are 168 hours in every week to handle one's business (and get in some sleep here and there). I'm sure if someone wanted to pledge, they would find the time to make it happen (hint: a college student needs to learn time management skills prior to entering the business world anyway).
Old 09-27-2004, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not in your fraternity - I'm an alum of another one - but I admire SAE and have SAE friends. SAE isn't at my school anymore so there's no conflict if I tell you about athletes.
My chapter is known as the (varsity) athlete fraternity, and has been for a couple of generations. Here are the secrets: first, you have to make recruiting them a priority; it has to be important to you. That means that the Brothers understand that varsity athletes aren't exactly typical pledges. Second, there's a huge difference between pledging ahtletes at a small school vs at a Division I school. Wyoming is big time. If you want athletes, you have to know how the mechanics differ and accept the reality if you want the reward. Third, varsity athletes at a Division I school aren't interested in being in an "athletes" fraternity. They pledge because someone who's not an athlete makes friends with them, and they can escape to the fraternity to get away from the relentless atmosphere around the football dorm. When they come to the house, do not talk to them about football/basketball/baseball; they're at your house to get away from that. Next, do not ask the athletes to be in charge of rushing other athletes. Ask them for names of good potential members, and then send non-athletes to meet them, become friends with them and rush them. From time to time, an athlete will emerge who will be interested in rushing other athletes. Let that man emerge naturally.
After thirty+ years of being the athlete house, my chapter has graudated a great many lettermen in all sports, including All-Americans in football, basketball, track, baseball and swimming. When we look at who comes back, who gives money and who loves the fraternity, the athletes are almost exactly the same as everyone else in terms of their relative numbers. The advantages of having athletes include these: 1) they draw women; 2) they kill in intramurals; 3) they add prestige to the chapter's name; 4) they can carry that Wyoming jersey - and the SAE letters - on the playing fields where no other students are allowed to go; 5) they tend to be high achievers and very successful in business and life.
That's not everything but it's enough to get you started.

Last edited by Firehouse; 09-27-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WyoAlph
Wow

Firehouse,

That was a very informative and well thought out post. I know that the guys in question are still coming around the chapter, so that's a bonus. I'll be sure to pass this information on to the chapter. Thanks for your help.