Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,266
2 members and 1,264 guests
JerricaB, willTic

Old 04-16-2001, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Question The Strike

Hi- I read from two people re: a Strike - what is going on - hope everyone is doing ok and hanging in there!

Sue
Old 04-16-2001, 03:21 PM
Unregistered-

Unhappy

Hi Sue, if you're talking about our Hawaii educators' strike...it's still going on. I haven't been to class since April 9, and teachers have been picketing every day (with the exception of Good Friday and Sundays). Many of our campus food services have been shut down as some of their employees have had to be laid off because of the slow traffic in our eateries. One of our dear campus store ladies has to collect unemployment for the time being because she's been laid off! My professors have been negotiating often, but there are three things that they can't seem to agree on: merit pay, retirement benefits, and teaching hours for community college faculty. I've stood with my profs on the picket lines many times already! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif In addition to that, many students have gone and held "study-ins" at our State Capitol since getting on campus to study means crossing picket lines. If they don't settle soon, our semester will be cancelled and we'll be forced to make it up during the summer, thus cancelling summer term 1.

The public school teachers aren't even close. Athletic teams can't practice, they can't hold games. Some schools have even cancelled their proms. It's very frustrating, very disheartening, not to mention embarassing and one can only wonder when this will be over!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 04-16-2001, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

OTW--
I don't think you should see it as an embarassement (I know i spelled that wrong.) Rather, be proud that people in your state won't take being pushed around.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:28 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs down

True, Billy, our teachers should be admired for sticking to their guns. In fact, they should be admired just because they have chosen a career that makes a difference in everyone's lives.

What's embarassing is our Governor. Both the professors and teachers unions had contracts that expired in 1999, and he had ample time to meet with both unions to negotiate, and perhaps the two strikes could've been avoided. It's embarassing that Hawaii is the only state in the union that hasn't had public education since April 9th.

Here's a governor that promised in his 1998 re-election campaign bid to make education his first priority. So far he's not living up to his promise. 200,000 students in lower and higher education lose every day. Parents spend extra money just to find child care. Some companies have even created their own childcare for their employees because we all know finding childcare doesn't come cheap. It broke my heart to see a mother in the news with tears on her face. She depends on the school lunch system for her 4 children and is having a hard time feeding her kids because they can't go to school. The unemployment line gets longer and longer every day that the strike goes on.

Accountants have done the math and have determined that there is enough money, but the Governor still refuses to give in. Now THAT'S an embarassment.

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 04-16-2001, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

OH Okay. I misuderstood you. Now I get it. Yeah that does suck.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Angry

We have a transit strike right now in Vancouver and it is getting hard to cope with. For those of us fortunate enough to have cars, traffic is becoming a nightmare and the same goes for parking. Many of my friends rely on the bus/seabus and they having major problems. My friend needs the bus to get to work, do shopping, in general get around, as do many people. The skytrain is running, however it doesn't help much as it only goes into downtown Van, not out to the universities (SFU/UBC) or out to the airport. It has only been two weeks and so far people have been managing, but I believe that the longer it carries on, the worse the situation is going to get. Vancouver isn't a small city so sooner or later things are going to get extremely congested, and people are going to get very ticked off. The worse thing is that at this point in time neither side is negotiating.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
AND-- Upcoming Hollywood Writers and Screen Actors Guild Strikes could push back or completely cancel fall tv and summer tv shows like Sex and the city.

See article I wrote on Writers Guild issues at: http://movies.hsx.com/news/lead/010411.htm
Old 04-16-2001, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thankyou for filling me in! I so hope you all get thru this o.k. - We are here for you! xo luv! Sue