Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,320
1 members and 1,319 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-12-2004, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Oakland or Santa Cruz, Cali...It all depends on if I'm in school or not
Starting a Local

I dunno if this is where I'm supposed to post this, but I figure, hey I'll give it a shot.

I attend a college where we only have one PNC, and I'm debating about whether to rush for that PNC or starting another local with the intent of trying to become a PNC.

If I decide to start the local, I'm kinda curious as to how some of you got started. How did you recruit members? How did you decide on a name and how did you get started on a constitution? For those of you who have formed a local to become a PNC, I'd like to hear about your experience.

I'll be a 2nd year at UCSC in the fall and as far as I know there are only two local sororities on campus. I think it would be really cool if we could get another PNC on our campus, but I really need help and support.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

We were founded to bring a new NPC group to campus 10 years ago.
Getting recognized and abiding by the rules of your university is a must. I don't know anything about UCSC, but here we have to have a minimum of 5 members, an advisor, and a constitution before we can apply for registration. Talk to friends, other women you think may be interested in forming a new group, and then decide on the basics for your group. Why do you want to start a sorority? What is different about your group? What can you offer? What is your purpose? etc etc. Do a search on wishinhopin's thread about starting a new sorority. It's a great resource.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
We were founded to bring a new NPC group to campus 10 years ago.
Getting recognized and abiding by the rules of your university is a must. I don't know anything about UCSC, but here we have to have a minimum of 5 members, an advisor, and a constitution before we can apply for registration. Talk to friends, other women you think may be interested in forming a new group, and then decide on the basics for your group. Why do you want to start a sorority? What is different about your group? What can you offer? What is your purpose? etc etc. Do a search on wishinhopin's thread about starting a new sorority. It's a great resource.
What she said.

Also, I am originally from Hayward and had a couple people from my high school go to Santa Cruz. Definitely check with Student Activities because I don't remember Santa Cruz actually having a Panhellenic Council. But wishinhopin's thread is one about SC, so check it out.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Oakland or Santa Cruz, Cali...It all depends on if I'm in school or not
Thanks for the help gals. Santa Cruz doesn't have a Panhellenic Council because Gamma Phi Beta is the only PNC on campus. If we can bring another PNC onto campus, then we can form a council. I've already talked to the chapter president of Gamma Phi Beta and she's more than willing to help.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Before you do anything, I really think that you should read the thread below...it discusses UCSC, and it's a must read for anyone who wants to start up an organization on campus. It's long...you've been warned. =)
http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=10264
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 PM

I hate to be terminology bia but it's NPC. PNC is a bank.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiggieJilly403
A group of girls and I were going to start a new chapter of a local sorority last year...but things happened (long story). So, we decided we wanted to create our very own. We were soo way in over our heads!! Nothing ever completely got accomplished because we had TONS of great ideas but never put them all together. HOWEVER, we did by sheer luck come into contact with someone from a local that was interested in expanding. We talked about it throughout a lengthy meeting and decided that it was pretty much what we wanted in the first place...so a couple of months later...We are now finally sisters! It took a lot of hard work to expand and there are still lots to come. But it has been worth it

Anyways, the point of that was basically to say ...while it would have been ideal to make our own, it would have been WAY more intense...and would require EVEN more for us to do that....esp. more time. Most of us are juniors this year...and we didnt want to spend even more time trying to put something together we weren't going to be able to enjoy as much.

I suggest searching for sororities..local or not and see who fits your vision and then go from there. Maybe you will find one that you want to expand from and is willing to do so. If not, then go ahead and try to build your own.

Good luck to you!!! You won't regret it either way...

*Jill
Old 08-16-2004, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

The only thing I can contribute about starting a local vs. becoming a chapter of an existing local - if your goal is to bring a new NPC group to campus, not to remain local, it would seem unfair for you to become that local only to turn around and affiliate with something else. Yes, starting and maintaining a local on your own is hard work, and attempting to affiliate is no walk in the park - we've been trying off and on for 8 years - but it is truly rewarding.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

This board has good advice.

Really think hard if you want to start a local, then join an NPC. That is a lot of hard work to only get it replaced by a national organization. If you don't want Gamma Phi Beta, I would really think of just doing an interest group instead.

If numbers are stable, then you may have a chance to affiliate, if numbers are unstable then just do a local, because it may be a while before an NPC will be willing to try colonization.

good luck! and read that UCSC thread!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
This board has good advice.

Really think hard if you want to start a local, then join an NPC. That is a lot of hard work to only get it replaced by a national organization. If you don't want Gamma Phi Beta, I would really think of just doing an interest group instead.

If numbers are stable, then you may have a chance to affiliate, if numbers are unstable then just do a local, because it may be a while before an NPC will be willing to try colonization.

good luck! and read that UCSC thread!
Some campuses (like mine) require that for you to pursue affiliation, you start a local sorority (it was specified to us that we start a sorority, and not an interest group) and keep it going for one year. Sometimes it seems that there are too many options of requirements, suboptions, and demi-suboptions (yes I'm being facetious) in reaching the end result. For instance, the local vs. interest group thing that my campus has. If that statement seems unclear and confused, it's because that's what this process on my campus has rendered me - unclear and confused.

As always - when in doubt, refer to your own campus as the bottom line for what should be done. An interest group may be the easiest and best way to approach affiliation on your campus, which has only one NPC group.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
better to start of local maybe later become a chapter. why? cuz you can decide what you want to do, your own rules, do your own philanthropy and raise numbers at your OWN pace. Well since we are a Deaf focused sorority, we focused on deaf students, ASL students, Speech pathologist/interpreter/spec.ed majors, etc. But we are open to anyone who has the motivation to learn ASL. We dont require you to be fluent in order to join like the other deaf sorority. The constitution was hard but the student activities office should give you something to help you write up one. It doesnt have to be complicated like ours - just cover basics - how elections are done, how long terms, office positions and duties for the position, etc. ALSO make sure to be CLEAR on what would disqualify a sister. usually majority vote and if breaks rules, etc. I cant decide for you what you want for philanthropy - but it seems to be popular to have cancer, aids, etc. I think you should steer away and help a cause that WOULD truly appreciate your help and money like the ASPCA or something local in your area. But on the other hand, if you become a chapter of national - a warning it can take two YEARS and some girls may drop or graduate. also they are pretty strict on what they want. you have to prove you want it not for the name but are capable of reaching their standards. PS - with locals meetings are flexible and there are no worries of "total"