GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,165
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,082
0 members and 1,082 guests
No Members online

Old 01-31-2001, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Question On or off campus?

Here's a poll: How many of ya'll live on campus and how many live off?

At LSU, on campus housing has a huge stigma unless you're in the Campus Apartments. The dorms are 95% Freshman and Sophomores. Most kids get an apartment off campus for their soph year.

What is it like at your school?
Old 01-31-2001, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The dorms here are like the Waldorf's of the dorm world. Not a lot of people live on campus though cause there aren't a lot of rooms and a lot of people already live in town. I love living in the dorms personally (I just hate my roommate). Right now I live in the Epislon dorm, which is for Freshmen only. This summer I'm moving into the Betas. Thay are basically on campus apartments, and you can't beat the rent. I have friends that go to Auburn and Alabama - I couldn't live like that!

[This message has been edited by Allie_XO (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old 02-01-2001, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Quote:
Originally posted by Allie_XO:
The dorms here are like the Waldorf's of the dorm world. Not a lot of people live on campus though cause there aren't a lot of rooms and a lot of people already live in town. I love living in the dorms personally (I just hate my roommate). Right now I live in the Epislon dorm, which is for Freshmen only. This summer I'm moving into the Betas. Thay are basically on campus apartments, and you can't beat the rent. I have friends that go to Auburn and Alabama - I couldn't live like that!

What school do you go to that the dorms are named after the Greek Alphabet??
Old 02-01-2001, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm on campus in an all freshman dorm. I'm trying to move off for next year.

------------------
Once in every lifetime, you'll know what life is. Oh I need you, you need me, oh my darling, don't you see? The Young Ones. Darling we're The Young Ones. The Young Ones. Shouldn't be afraid! To live. To love. There's a song to be sung. 'Cause we may not be The Young Ones for very long!!!
Old 02-01-2001, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The University of South Alabama. Here are a list of our dorms.

Epsilon - two buildings. Freshmen only.

Delta - dozens of them. Anybody can live there, but that are the slums of the USA campus.

Beta and Gamma - dozens. Anybody can live there, and everyone wants to. They fill up pretty quick. I'm living in Beta 4 next year. They are just like apartments. 4 people, two bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom and a small kitchen.

Sorority houses - since we only have one approved design for the Greek houses, they don't hold close to everyone in the chapter. And they are set up only slightly bigger than the Epsilon dorms.

All of our residence buildings are two stories. Well - that is the living situation at USA. Probably much more info that you really care about.

I don't know why they chose Greek letters. It's just as good as any system, right?

Allie
Old 02-01-2001, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Allie_XO:

Since our on-campus housing is pretty new, 10 years and younger, they are pretty swank too. They only have one small dorm and now build on-campus apartments. Apparently is is chaper.

I lived there for two years but the management SUCKS!!! I do enjoy all the freshman who have never lived anywhere else complain about it. I was a transfer student and at my former univ, It might as well have been Beruit.

click on the link below, then on Housing and then University Oaks Apartments for photos. I still don't see how these kids can complain. Also Texas A&M corpus christi has even better dorms than we do.
http://www.utsa.edu/students/

Old 02-01-2001, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Lifesaver - who is complaining about what??? My goodness, I know a lot of people out of college that don't have regular access to a pool. We don't have that here. But it is a good idea - I'll suggest it to Housing .

Allie
Old 02-08-2001, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

We don't have any dorms, no greek housing, we don't have anything. Unless we have a job most people live at home with mommy and daddy.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

We just got residential housing on our campus. We don't have a "Greek Row" either. So I don't really know how to answer this question. I obviously don't live on campus...but it seems like I do since I'm there ALL the time!
I would LOVE for our sorority to buy a house but there are residential zones we need to follow before we can purchase one. So for now...the money is there...but no house!
Otherwise a lot of the girls room together in apartments or rent houses.

------------------
What do you get when you cross an Alpha Omicron Pi and a Sigma Phi Epsilon? A beautiful Chi Omega!
~Love ya mom & dad
Old 02-09-2001, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a big baby, and we're required to live on-campus for 3 years, so I'm an on-campus girl. I love it because when I'm having maintenance probs, I simply call the people, they come, and I don't have to pay for it (I do in tuition, but I don't pay for it). I love the fact that someone cleans my bathroom every day. I am in no hurry to move off-campus. I don't have to deal with landlords, utilities, or the like. Like I said, I'm a baby.