Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,259
2 members and 1,257 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-25-2004, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Man of the Year??

I was looking at the Florida State Pi Phi site and they have a "Man of the Year"? Do other chapters do this? I have never even <i>heard</i> of doing that. I know we have a sweetheart song, but . . . having never sung it, heard it sung, or anything like that I figured it was something that wasn't done anymore. Someone fill me in!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Never heard of it either...although I did know some other groups that did that.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lsutigah
The Phi Mu's at LSU have a Man of the Year competition in the spring. It's basically a male pageant, lol! Guys go and model two outfits and then perform their special talent. I went to it this past year (my ex was a phi mu and dragged me to it), but it suprisingly had a huge turnout (over 1000 ppl). I guess it was interesting...
WNG
Old 07-28-2004, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Some of the other sororities at FSU also have "Men of the Year." I think it's a completely different concept than Arrowmen or sweethearts - at least I hope so, since those are verboten. I think it's just a way of recognizing outstanding activities and service among fraternity men. Any current Florida Betas out there to explain?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

We used to have a some sort of Pi Phi Man back in the day...on our really old composites you can see him for every year...but we don't do it anymore..so who knows? I know the Tri-delts still have one.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pink and green
My chapter does something kind of like this - before our spring semi-formal, we vote on who should be "Arrow Boy." Basically, "Arrow Boy" is usually the boyfriend of a junior/senior who has been to virtually all of our events.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Txsurfinwaves
TX Epsilon has an even that we have done for the past 5 years called Mr. Pi Phi- a male beauty pageant, and a male reigns as Mr. Pi Phi for the year. They have Pi Phi wear, talent, evening wear, and a question round- usually questions pi phi related. I was in the group that coached the 2 Sigma Chi's this year and during pi phi wear, we had them carry our huge wooden letters on their backs, making it pi phi wear..they had wings and halos on as well.
It's alot of fun, and it raises money to go towards Arrowmont.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a Swing Into Spring King. Basically each house raised money for the American Cancer Society and that was worth a huge part of the final points. The day of our cookout we had three campus bands and in between sets we had a Formal Wear competition, a Pi Phi wear competition and a Talent portion (which turned into swimsuit competition). It was really a lot of fun and Phi Kappa Psi won. It also raised a lot of money for ACS and brought a lot of people to our cookout even though it was raining that day.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SweetfaceSigmaK
We have something kinda like the "arrow boy" but he's called the "Colby Gentleman". We present him at formal...the ladies all vote on him. And yea, he's normally a boyfriend or a guy who's helped out our chapter a lot and been to pretty much all of our events!