GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 867
3 members and 864 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum

Old 01-03-2001, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Initiation

Hey everyone!

I was just had a quick question. I am going to be initiating a week from Saturday and I'm a little nervous but mostly excited . I was just wondering (I don't think my sorority does this cause I would have heard about it by now but) I know of at least one soroity on my campus that lets mothers come to the initiation ceremony (unless they are initated members of a different sorority). Does your sorority do this? Why do some groups allow it and others not? Just differences between the different NPC groups or what?

Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by DWBMC (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Only initiated Delta Zetas are allowed to be present during ritual. Our current president's mother came to her initiationbc she was a DZ.
That is how we do it, I am not sure about other GLOs...

------------------
DZ sisters never end!
Old 01-03-2001, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Same here...only initiated members

(I'm soooo wanting to say something about a certain mother and daughter who frequent(ed) our boards, but I'll keep my mouth shut!)

Congrats on your upcoming Initiation!!
Old 01-03-2001, 08:45 PM
Unregistered-

Talking

Same here with our initiation. Only initiated collegians and alums are allowed to attend.

About a month before initiation we have a ceremony called "Presents" where the collegians dress in our whites (traditional white muumuu for us!). Our families are invited for an afternoon tea where they learn more about Alpha Gamma Delta. Our alumnae is also invited, and usually a lot of them show up, so we have a lot of support. Usually this gives the parents peace of mind as they ask questions to find out more about us.

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 01-03-2001, 10:48 PM

Cool

I'm holding my tongue (keyboard?) too, Dewgirl!

No one execept initiated members and candidates for membership are allowed to be at the initiations for my sorority or my service fraternity. The only way a mother would be allowed to be there would be if she is an initiated member. We do have a parents' tea similar to what OohTeenyWahine described.

Are you certain that it is the actual initiation that mothers can attend? Some sororities also have a mother patroness ceremony where mothers and other mother-ly people who have assisted the sorority are recognized.

And also, congrats!!!

Old 01-04-2001, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Just initiated members w/ us too. But I do have a question about the mother ceremony. We do have a mother pin but no ceremony to bestow it. However I'm pretty sure that some chapters have come up w/ something. I was soooo disapointed when I found out that our chapter does zilch when handing them out. I was literally near tears! When I worked at a department store in VA we had moms coming in ALL the time looking for white dresses for moms ceremonies and Presents.

Anyways, do any of your chapters have a NON SECRET ceremony for things like moms pins? It's still my mission to get my chapter to do something. And it's probably not the best idea to make it similar to ritual. So if you can share a rough idea of what ya'll do, please do!
Old 01-04-2001, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

The same goes for Chi Omega. Actually, at our National Convention they usually initiate someone who is a third or fourth generation Chi Omega. So the whole convention witnesses it and participates...and the mother, sister, grandma...whoever is there right beside the pledge. I think that would be the greatest feeling in the whole world!
Old 01-04-2001, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your great responses and the congrats! I was so excited to see that so many of you answered. It would make sense that only initiated mothers could come to the ceremony. There are a few legacies in my pledge class so I wonder if their mothers are coming? I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

33girl- I'm not sure if this is an actual initiation that moms are allowed to come to. I just remember one of the girls in one of the houses during rush saying something about it. She said her mom couldn't come b/c she was an initiate of another sorority. Are there any Alpha Xi Deltas out there that could shed some light on this? That is the house where I thought I heard about this. Chances are pretty good that I misunderstood.

I'm not sure if we have any non-secret ceremonies but I'm sure I'll find out all about it soon enough.

Thanks again everyone!

[This message has been edited by DWBMC (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 03:56 AM
GreekChat Member

In my sorority when a colony is installed, mothers of the girls being installed have the option to be initiated as well. (but not for any following classes)
Good Luck! Congratulations!
Old 01-12-2001, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DWBMC:
Hey everyone!

33girl- I'm not sure if this is an actual initiation that moms are allowed to come to. I just remember one of the girls in one of the houses during rush saying something about it. She said her mom couldn't come b/c she was an initiate of another sorority. Are there any Alpha Xi Deltas out there that could shed some light on this? That is the house where I thought I heard about this. Chances are pretty good that I misunderstood.
We had several legacies in my Alpha Xi chapter, and sometimes their mother/sister/grandmother would come to initiation. I don't know about other sororities, but I was under the impression that any initiated sister could come to our ceremonies - it's just common courtesy that alumnae and sisters from other chapters would ask first. I don't think anyone would ever refuse to let them participate - we always loved having the alumnae there.

Congrats on your initiation! It will be one of the most special memories of your life.

Old 01-13-2001, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey everyone!!

Well, today was the big day.... sooooo great!! I had a great time and I was the very last initiate!! I was beginning to think they didn't want my to initiate anymore! I'm sure a goofball! Anyway, I just wanted to share my happy news with everyone. I'm officially an active sister of Chi Omega!! YIPPEEE!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2001, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Congratulations DWBMC!!
Old 01-15-2001, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a (albeit, after the fact) question: Are associate members supposed to know the date of their initiations? Or is it to be a surprise?
Old 01-15-2001, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
Here's a (albeit, after the fact) question: Are associate members supposed to know the date of their initiations? Or is it to be a surprise?
Hi AlphaChiGirl - according to our nationals, we are supposed to tell the new member her initiation date on the day she accepts her bid -- you know - keeping it a surprise is hazing and all....whatever This is where the definition of hazing really goes bonkers in my opinion - how the heck can not telling someone their initiation date be hazing? They know it will be within 10 weeks - why ruin the surprise? I didn't have a clue and I was so excited when I realized what was going on - I'm glad I didn't know! Our sisters even developed this crazy calendar with all these fake plans like going to a movie and Putt-Putt and stuff -- they really had us going! But those were the good ol' days....sigh...

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"