» Online Users: 1,517
3 members and 1,514 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-20-2000, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere:
Manhattan is an ISLAND NOT a peninsula.

The island of Manhattan is only reachable by bridges, tunnels and ferries.

NYC, however, is NOT an island...
Ok, I knew that, but it didn't show in my message. NYC is ON an island in the Atlantic is what I meant to say. I knew I wasn't crazy though! thanks Cash78mere!

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 11-21-2000, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL, this is kinda funny. I've never been to NY, so heck if I know.

Ok, NYC is NOT an island, but Manhattan IS, Right?

I was looking at Mapquest, which I think is the worst map in the world, and when I entered manhattan, it gave me a park, so I couldn't look it up.

ANYWAY, it doesn't matter because NYC is NOT an island close to AFRICA--which is where the student put it. So even if NYC was an Island, the student was still wrong. The point was, he didn't even put it in the right hemesphere. Kinda sad when you are relitivly close to NY.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
ANYWAY, it doesn't matter because NYC is NOT an island close to AFRICA--which is where the student put it.
Well, you never said that! I can't believe the student was that far off! I think your fiance needs to hit every one of them on the head with a tack hammer.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 11-21-2000, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corbin Dallas:
[BI think your fiance needs to hit every one of them on the head with a tack hammer.

[/B]

Can we say L-A-W-S-U-I-T?

Can we say, we'll see him on the Channel 8 news leaving his campus in handcuffs?

LOL

I still believe the parents play a role in their child's education. AS WE SAY IN SPECIAL ED...THE PARENTS HAVE THE POWER! Parents should be advocating for their child's education. Intead, you only see them when they are ready to come to the school to GET THAT XYZ TEACHER TOLD OFF, OR TO KICK SOME TEACHER'S A##!

It's a sad state of affairs.

Old 11-21-2000, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, I think kids need to be getting more attention at home, parents should be more concerned with HELPING educate their children, rather than leave it 100% up to the teacher. It takes some effort on both ends.

What do you all think of homeschooling. I'm torn. I personally feel that if there is a qualified parent in the home teaching, the education value might be better, but the social aspect might not. Bryan really wants to homeschool our children if we have them, which means I would stay home and raise the children and homeschool them, while he is away working--which is fine by me--I'd love that! However, I'm afraid that our children would be socially lacking. Kids need other kids and it would be hard for children to meet other children if they didn't go to school. What's more important--functioning in society with a lack of education, or having a great education and being socially deprived?
Old 11-21-2000, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Who decides if homeschooling provides the BEST in determining the quality of education?

I am torn on the issue as well.

Both of my parents were educators, my mom a teacher, my father a principal. THEY BOTH ensured that my sister and I received the BEST from EACH teacher. Also, they BOTH exposed us to extras as well.

NOW, I do realize that that was more than 20 years ago, and times have really changed. There are environmental factors which hinder alot of our students from excelling. Yet, there are some who do overcome their environment. There are parents who have 2 or more jobs who CANNOT homeschool or be there to expose or reinforce what was learned at school. SO WHAT DO WE DO FOR THOSE KIDS? There are some parents who would LOVE to be able to be with the child and keep up with what is going on, BUT THERE ARE SOME WHO JUST DON'T GIVE A DAMN!

AGAIN, IT'S A SAD SITUATION ALL AROUND!
Old 11-21-2000, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I have mixed emotions about home schooling as well. Let's face it, several years after graduation, most adults don't remember algebra, trigonometry, statistics, biology, chemistry, physics, or even English. A lot of parents don't even speak English correctly. How can they effectively home school their children? The answer is, they can't. But what they can do is support those that are qualified to do so. By working WITH their child's teachers instead of AGAINST them. I have several educators in my family and I have heard all kinds of horror stories about how some of the parents behave when they go to the schools to discuss their children's progress or behavior problems. I work with parents who complain about receiving phone calls at home about their kids. They have some of the most ridiculous complaints, like "She always calls during dinner" or "I used to talk a lot in class when I was a kid, so I guess my kid gets that from me". Hello! Since when have teachers been blessed with psychic abilities to know when families are having dinner? Since when is it okay for children to be disruptive in class simply because the parent was also disruptive in class?

Quite frankly, I think teachers are given a very bad rap. If the parents don't care about their kids education, the teachers can't make the students care. It has to start at home. I was blessed to have 2 parents that made education a priority. Any grade below a "B" was an unacceptable grade in their eyes and would be strictly punished. My mother's line of thinking was that her above average child should only make above average grades. Today I am so grateful that my parents were hard on me where education is concerned. My friends that had those lenient, push-over parents are all statistics now.

[This message has been edited by MIDWESTDIVA (edited November 21, 2000).]
Old 11-21-2000, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

YEP, cause they (student's parent) had "strict" parents when they were young and they (the parents) vowed that they were not going to be MEAN to their children. These are the same folks who want to be FRIENDS with their child.

Bump that! You can listen to your child and probably have a better rapport with your child, BUT 100% FRIENDS...oh no! They will have to ALWAYS remember who is the PARENT and who IS IN CHARGE!

HELLO!
Old 11-21-2000, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely right!

I have a friend who is on this "Let's Be Friends" kick with her 10 year old daughter. She says it's because she doesn't want to be strict like her own mother. Hello!!! Since when do 26 year old women have 10 year old friends? These parents don't realize that they're doing their children a great disservice!

I say, be parents now, and train your child the way he should go. When your kids become adults and are supporting themselves, then you can have a pseudo friendship.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." (Satchel Paige)
Old 11-22-2000, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I do believe that it does start in the home. Really everyone should work together instead of pointing fingers at each other. I guess that doesnt happen in reality. I agree that parents shouldnt treat their kids as "friends" but I dont necessarily believe that a parent should be "strict". I think balance is the most important thing and being supportive. Plus boundaries are crucial. I think extremes sometimes have a way of backfiring though. Maybe I was one of those kids that had pushover parents but I think they did a great job and it didnt stop me from going on to college and finishing. It taught my h.s. counselor who told me that I would probably never have the option of going on as far as I did.
Old 11-23-2000, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I had fairly strict parents. Definatly not the type that went throught 'be my friend' stage, however, one of my friends had parents who let them do so much more. However, they weren't pushovers, they just treated their children like adults when they got to the age. High school for them wasn't a bunch of too early curfews and unreasonable rules, nor was it the 'do what you want' years either. Their parents layed down the rules, like 'call us if you're going to be late, it's ok.' or 'if you feel you need to drink (high school obviously), we will let you drink here, as long as you don't go out and drink then drive.' They were trying to teach their children responsibility. It totally worked. My friend is in Medical school now, STILL has never made below a 4.0 in her life, isn't a study-holic--she's totally cool and loves to go out just like everyone else, she just learned responsibility early--and she has tons of common sense because of it. I think this is what Corbin meant by Balance. You can't be overly protective, or your children will no know what hit them when they get to the real world, but if your underprotective, then they might end up learning the hard stuff a lot earlier than they should.