GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,376
2 members and 1,374 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-27-2000, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Buddha:

Thanks Soror.

The bald head is tight (to me at least)...you know some brothahs can'[t handle it though. I have been called "Sir" hella times and it pisses me off but I can understand the mistake..I simply turn around and flash my breasts

Now it's in but I cut it way before it was and people were REALLY tripping at first. Now it's "in style" so it's okay.

Thanks again.

PEACE
Old 07-27-2000, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thatgirl:
Doesn't that just say it all? Forget about aesthetically pleasing. It seems to me that people think that conformity is the only way that we can coexist. It's not. But I see that some people are still threatened by the sheer presence of a black man. Some things never change.

thatgirl... i totally agree... why is it that Black people have to conform only to have people of other race covet those things we are told we should give up. As a member of a predominatly African-American/Latino community I would feel much more comfortable approaching an African-American police officer with dreds than i would approcaching a blond hair blue-eyed police officer. We need to have police officers in 'our' communities that look like us and can relate to us and or struggles. If an Orthodox male Jew wanted to become a cop would they make
make him cut off his extra long side-burns(i don't mean to diss anyone but I don't know what you call those pigtails)? I work in a fortune 500 company.. the week i started is the week i started growing my locs... I sometimes wonder if I will be penalized because of my choice in the style in which i wear my hair... But if someone does say something to me about cutting or combing my hair I will just ask for them to send there request in writing because that is blatant discrimination and I will sue there butt!

One

[This message has been edited by Lovealious (edited July 27, 2000).]
Old 07-27-2000, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

It does my heart good to know that there are so many people on this board wearing locs. We should start a loc club!
Old 07-28-2000, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thatgirl:
And while you brought up the pink hair thing, let me make this crystal clear:
It's NOT the same thing
A man being allowed to wear his hair in it's NATURAL state is not to be compared to a person who deliberately dyes or chemically treats their hair in order to stand out.
[]
While i totally agree with you as far as locs and dying being totally different, locs aren't the only way to wear one's hair naturally. There are shorter, nautral hairstyles that aren't locs. Plus, it's not necessary to wear them that long. BEFORE ANYONE ATTACKS THAT STATEMENT: I UNDERSTAND IN HIS PARTICULAR CASE THAT RELIGION PLAYED A ROLE IN THE LENGTH. I am only responding to the arguement highlighted above. Believe me, I agree with the majority on this one about him keeping his locs so long as they are well kept and neat -- I was just wondering about your (well, everyone's) response to that particular arguement. "White" hair naturally grows long, but in many situations men are required to cut it off short, along with facial hair, which is also natural. Any thoughts? (No flames please)

Old 07-28-2000, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
girlietoo...check this out...

Rastas relate locks to the Nazarite vow described in the earlier parts of the Old Testament.

All the days of the vow of the separation there shall no razor come upon his head until the days are fulfilled for which he
separated himself to the Lord, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow. (Numbers 6:5)

Samson is the classic example of this relation. Samson's mother was visited by Jah and told:

For, lo thou shall conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a nazarite unto God
from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hands of the Philistines. (Judges 13:5)

As he grew, Samson possessed extraordinary strength. He then married Delilah, and because she would not believe him when he spoke about the reason for his locks,

...she made him to sleep upon her knee; and she called for a man, and she caused him to shave off the seven locks of his
head; and she began to afflict him, and his strength went from him. (Judges 16:19)

From this verse, one can see how Rastas have determined that lockd are part of the holy Nazarite vow, as Samson has seven locks. One can also see the mytical relation to locks as a source of incredible strength and power. Even after his head had been shaved by his deceitful wife Delilah and had only a small amount of hair, he was able to topple the two pillars of the house and destroy the Philistines.

Samson has become a sort of hero for Rastas as upholding strength and righteousness, as well as having natty locks. Many Rastas take the Nazarite vow, swearing not to cut (kill) hair, and many include abstaining from combing in this vow.

Rastas are also advocates of living naturally, and letting your hair take its natural course is another part of what is called Ital (Vital).

Old 07-29-2000, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Asia2000:

From the information we've been given about this situation, the new hair regulations apply to locs, braids and cornrows, REGARDLESS OF LENGTH. So I don't see how other employment policies regulating one's length of hair apply in this situation. From the information given, it seems to me that the length of said locs, braids or cornrows isn't the issue-it's the very existence of these styles on an officer's head. That's the problem with the regulation, in my view. It shows bias against styles that are most commonly worn by people of African descent, whose natural hair can very easily be done in those styles. If this were only about hair length, I don't think I would have such a problem with the blatant ugliness of the new rule.

DG
Old 07-29-2000, 12:52 AM
girlietoo

Red face

Thatgirl, ohh no you didn't. I am not a fool nor do I sound like one. I am merely addressing the previous comments regarding the complete "white man's corporate america" and how such diversity in dress is unacceptable. That is simply not true! I am completely aware of the "diversity" in New York City so there is no need to talk to me like I am this clueless individual. Why don't you think before you comment. thanks!
All I was saying was that the dreds get in the way because they are can be long, but I also know that they vary in length. Therefore, if the length of the dreds are short then I see no problem in having them. Also, could someone please clarify what the religious meaning behind the dreds are??Thanks!!
Old 08-01-2000, 12:42 AM
girlietoo

Wink

gracias!!
Old 08-10-2000, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Exclamation

Several points of interest...

thatgirl

You stated,
"That only applies to one group of people." I know some white people with dreadlocks. So what you say cannot be true. This is a discussion forum, to debate, not to chide others for having a opinion that varies from our own. Please be a little more kind in your responses.

As for the cop... as long as the dreadlocks dont interefere with his job, he should be able to keep him.

There is only one person (white or black, i wont say because IT DOES NOT MATTER) but if I were an employer, I would have a problem with his hair, because it looks unprofessional hanging below his ass. And that is not limited to dreadlocks, if I owned a company, all hair could not go past sholder length male/female/black/white.

Easy E

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited August 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited August 10, 2000).]