Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,389
0 members and 1,389 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2000, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Post NYC Greek life

People, NYC is A big place and there is plenty of things to do when it come to the night life here in the BIG city. We all get dress and run to each Org's parties But when it comes to all greeks working together on events, commuinty service, or just reconizing each other for being greek we act like were to busy or we don't know each other at that point.I find it sad that you can be standing at the bus stop wearing para that a blend person can see and it will be other greeks at thge same bus stop and no will say hello. Greeks in NYC and their Attitudes towards each other makes me sick. Do any other Greeks feel my pain?
Old 09-18-2000, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

From my observation, things are much different here in the South. Southerner's in general are very hospitable, it's apart of the Southern charm. Limelight, that still doesn't excuse the lack of Greek love up North. My advice is to always speak and show respect. If no one gives you love in return, then they'll look stupid not you.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 09-19-2000, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyKitty Send a message via Yahoo to PrettyKitty
I am Southern born Zeta...VA in DA HOUSE! I must agree that there is a difference btwn the North and the South...but those "lines" were set long b4 HBGLO's came along...

I find most New Yorkers to be rude in general...forever having a chip on their shoulder(there are of course some exceptions)...so I don't take it the hard way when Greeks in NYC are the same way, it's the environment they were raised in...The "if I don't know you, why should I talk to you?" is like the NYC mantra...
But hey, one monkey don't stop no show! Just keep on trekking and get down to the BiZneZZ!

------------------
The Epitome of Beauty, Style, and Grace, Always Exemplifying Good Taste, A Zeta Woman, A Finer Woman, That's Me!
Old 09-19-2000, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Prettykitty,

I would like to thank you for your observation and understanding. I was born and raised in the city in the worst conditions but I still fine the time to speak to everyone no matter how my day is going. I use to be a super Thug who turn into a superman.

Peace sister,

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Spr2K
BLI-Alumni

[This message has been edited by limelight56 (edited September 19, 2000).]
Old 09-20-2000, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Speaking as a proud New Yorker, I must say I am very offended by the rude comments on this board. Whether Greeks in New york are cordial or not to each other is not my concern. What is, rather, is the comment regarding New Yorkers being rude in general. That statement is a little stereotypical, is it not? Would it be fair to say that people from the South in general, of course are slow and naieve? Or would that be a little arrogant, on my part?
Limelight, what ever happened to not judging the whole (Greek life in New York) by the actions of a few?
For the record, being a NICE New Yorker is not the exception, it's the rule.
Get a clue here guys, and show some of that Southern hospitality you pride yourselves on.
There are just as many rude folks, in your neck of the woods. (No pun intended).

[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited September 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited September 20, 2000).]
Old 09-21-2000, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
Sexy Mocha,

You go Girl!

As a New Yorker PrettyKitty, I am so sorry that you have experienced the negative side of SOME folks here in NYC. But being a born and raised NYC girl (Bronx, Representing!) I went down south and encountered some of the rudest people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with... so it definitely cuts both ways... I love my city, its the best in the world (And you know this Man!!!) and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world. People are rude everywhere and you just have to kill them with kindness sometimes!

Comming from the nicest New Yorker I know.

------------------
In complete darkness we are all the same... It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us... Don't let your eyes deceive you

Janet Jackson
Old 09-21-2000, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I was up in NYC for a boat ride a month ago, and it was all luv. You got rude people wherever you go. Plus if you catch me on the wrong day, you may say that I am rude. I luv all of yawl.

A great big fat YO to my brothers in K & K.

MN
Old 09-25-2000, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I did not say that all New Yorkers were rude. I did however say from my experience, I have met some rude New Yorkers. I can list about 5 pages of negative experiences that I have had in New York(luckily only a handful of these were from Greeks).
I, however, can also list many positive experiences as well (about a page).
But as I said before, it is more about who you know...
The exact same can be said for the city that I am from, DC. I just had a conversation with some friends this past weekend who talked about how rude they thought people from DC were. And I said the exact same thing I said on this board, it's all about who you know. People will be more apt to speak to people they know as opposed to people they don't. That's just life in a city, period. So sorry u were offended, but I speak the truth. Not everyone is as nice as u are. Not everyone is as mean as some other people are...

------------------
The Epitome of Beauty, Style, and Grace, Always Exemplifying Good Taste, A Zeta Woman, A Finer Woman, That's Me!
Old 09-25-2000, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ManndingoNUPE:
I was up in NYC for a boat ride a month ago, and it was all luv. You got rude people wherever you go. Plus if you catch me on the wrong day, you may say that I am rude. I luv all of yawl.

A great big fat YO to my brothers in K & K.

MN
I was there too! You might have seen me...

------------------
Old 09-25-2000, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by limelight56:
Prettykitty,

I would like to thank you for your observation and understanding. I was born and raised in the city in the worst conditions but I still fine the time to speak to everyone no matter how my day is going. I use to be a super Thug who turn into a superman.

Peace sister,

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Spr2K
BLI-Alumni

[This message has been edited by limelight56 (edited September 19, 2000).]
I know some of your chapter brothers...

------------------
Old 09-26-2000, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by PrettyKitty:
I did not say that all New Yorkers were rude. I did however say from my experience, I have met some rude New Yorkers. I can list about 5 pages of negative experiences that I have had in New York(luckily only a handful of these were from Greeks).
I, however, can also list many positive experiences as well (about a page).
But as I said before, it is more about who you know...
The exact same can be said for the city that I am from, DC. I just had a conversation with some friends this past weekend who talked about how rude they thought people from DC were. And I said the exact same thing I said on this board, it's all about who you know. People will be more apt to speak to people they know as opposed to people they don't. That's just life in a city, period. So sorry u were offended, but I speak the truth. Not everyone is as nice as u are. Not everyone is as mean as some other people are...

PrettyKitty, your point is well taken and respected. I didn't mean to come off in the wrong way...I've been thinking...maybe it's because, after living here so long, we become so immune to the rudeness, that we don't really see it as others do who aren't used to our ways and habits. Girl, there are some CRAZY people living in New York!
Sometimes, it's safer to avoid looking and talking to each other...just to be on the safe side! But then again, if you're from DC (Dodge City ) I'm sure you know what I'm talkin' bout!

Old 09-26-2000, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Pretty Kitty, like you said, everyones experiences are different. I live and work in DC, and I have not come across all that many rude people. Atleast no more than any other place that I have been.

Peace

MN

P.S. That boat ride that you went on, was it given by "The Men of the Nyle"? One of those kats is my best friend, and frat brother.
Old 10-03-2000, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sexy Mocha:
PrettyKitty, your point is well taken and respected. I didn't mean to come off in the wrong way...I've been thinking...maybe it's because, after living here so long, we become so immune to the rudeness, that we don't really see it as others do who aren't used to our ways and habits. Girl, there are some CRAZY people living in New York!
Sometimes, it's safer to avoid looking and talking to each other...just to be on the safe side! But then again, if you're from DC (Dodge City ) I'm sure you know what I'm talkin' bout!

Cool Beans...No offense taken. I do know what you are talkin bout...lol

------------------
Old 10-03-2000, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ManndingoNUPE:
Pretty Kitty, like you said, everyones experiences are different. I live and work in DC, and I have not come across all that many rude people. Atleast no more than any other place that I have been.

Peace

MN

P.S. That boat ride that you went on, was it given by "The Men of the Nyle"? One of those kats is my best friend, and frat brother.
I have lived here almost all of my life. I tend not to see the rude behavior, but what one person thinks is rude, another might think is normal. I am, however, acutely aware of the "rude" behavior that other people find offensive.

Are you a DC Native or Transplant? Just wondering...

I went to the Queens Alumni boatride. It was my birthday weekend so I had fun.

------------------