Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,246
2 members and 1,244 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

My question

I recently quit school so that I could help my parents during financial hardships. I have been out of college for about a year. While in college I was very interested in a certain sorority and even went through rush but my grades were not as high as required at my particular school and I didn't go all the way through. I have decided, since then, to try AI and would like to know if sororities look at how a prospective members grades WERE in college. (I have recently attended cosmetology school and have a career so I am no longer the crazy college kid I once was.) I have always loved this particular group and would LOVE to be affiliated with them. Any advice would be great.
-MLK
Old 02-21-2004, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I'd venture to say that most don't - but I'm starting to think that they should.

(I'm trying to think of a diplomatic way to say this...)

I think that as more people become aware of alumnae initiation, that there might be some changes in policy made. If I'm not mistaken, some (if not all) NPHC groups require that the women who join at the alumnae level be college graduates -- I know my friend who joined one NPHC group as an alum had to submit her transcripts. I know that comparing the NPHC to NPC is like comparing apples to zebras, but it's a good policy, in my opinion.

If you were denied a bid as an undergraduate for your grades, I don't think you should be allowed to come in as an alumna. It's harsh, but it's how I feel. Even though NPC groups are social organizations, they also support women's academic achievements -- that's why collegiate PNMs have to meet academic requirements. I don't think those rules should be bent or disregarded just because a PNAM wants to join.

At the same time, I know that there are certain women (house mothers, mothers of collegiates) who, although they are not college educated, have made outstanding contributions to a particular chapter. Maybe there's room for two levels of alumna initiates: those who were college educated (and thus have to meet certain academic requirements) and a special "honor" category for those who didn't matriculate but have demonstrated support for the ideals and for a particular chapter.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

noooo noooo noooo....

I wasn't DENIED a bid because of my grades.
I could've still went through on an "academic probation" basis. My particular school had stronger GPA requirements than most. The school has actually had to change the policy because it was considered so strict for a public school. Also, it was more MY decision to not go all the way through. I wasn't told by the group and I wasn't denied. I simply felt like I should concentrate more on academics.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, okay. I understand now.

But I still think that if a woman is coming to AI with previous college experience that her grades should be checked. Maybe it's cause I'm an egghead and I'm proud of my good grades...
Old 02-21-2004, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
Ah, okay. I understand now.

But I still think that if a woman is coming to AI with previous college experience that her grades should be checked. Maybe it's cause I'm an egghead and I'm proud of my good grades...
I don't think that they should be checked. If a woman is out of the "traditional" collegiate age, not a student, established in a career, etc, then grades are immaterial.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Ordinarily I'd agree with you sageofages, but my concern is with women who are cut for academic reasons using alumna initation to circumvent traditional methods of gaining membership.

I'm not suggesting that this is what KissASinfonian is doing, but I could totally see it happening, especially as knowledge about alumna initation continues to spread.