GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 766
0 members and 766 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2000, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovealious:
[B]

The advertisers see it as a fad I believe. It's really evident to me in the Gap Kids add with the little girls singing on the stage like a band. The 'token' black child has her hair flying all over her head, it's appalling to me.. (it doesn’t look like they put a comb through her hair) the other girls (all white) have neatly combed hair, without a strand out of place no funky pony tails nothing.
B]
I saw that same ad, and I thought the same thing. I even commented to my husband, why do they have the little black girl hair all over the place? You can have a natural style with out it sticking out on all directions. While I was pregnant, I kept my hair braided, and when I took them out I kept it natural. It took some time for me to get used to styling it natural, since I have always had a relaxer since age 13. Now, I go thought phases when I like it relaxed or if I like it natural. Right now it is in twists because it like it that way.

I think with the majority of women, it is personal choice.
Old 08-29-2000, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings to the sistahs of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

I am new to this message board and have been totally engrossed by this topic. I apologize for the length of my comment. I guess I've truly experienced so much on this topic. I, like many other sisters, was 'relaxed' by my mom at the tender age of 7. I believe that the combination of a lack of knowledge on how to take care of natural hair combined with the ease of 'relaxed hair' (typical of the '70's) created the urgency to relax it! I don't find fault either way with relaxed or natural; instead, I embrace all our infinite possibilities. The point that I'm attempting (long-winded I know) to make is that it wasn't until I was 26 that I felt 'courageous' enough to grow out my natural hair and cut off my shoulder-length relaxed tresses. I now have (snap of the fingers) that much hair. What I rushed every six weeks to scare straight was actually very manageable in its natural state. Excuse me if I sound corny, but, I felt set free. I've found that men are drawn to it and ask to touch it quite frequently. This greatly puzzles me! In addition to the 'hair identity' topic, I, too, have received many comments about my own 'ethnic identity'. It seems that even though 'we' all know that we come in different shades, widths & lengths of features- I continue to receive the same 'dead-end' question of 'What are you?' Both of my parents are black. I am on the lighter end of the 'color spectrum' with very full lips, slightly slanted eyes, and high cheek bones. When I respond that I am (with much attitude) black, people don't believe me. In every way I embrace my ethnicity! My final comment is: Essentially, why are we (people in general-no matter your racial background) so caught up in labeling one another? I am guilty myself of spending 15 minutes trying to pigeon-hole someone I see on the street as either black, white, hispanic, mixed, etc. I know I have digressed from the original topic at hand; however, it all bears food for thought.
Old 08-30-2000, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I have just started wearing my hair natural and it's trying at times but I am giving myself a year to try and adjust. My hair is about neck length and I either twist it or keep it braided.

My view on the whole situation is that we as African-American women are the most versitile people in this country. We can braid it, curl it, straighten it, color it and lock it. And guess what... we still look good!!!

So I say to you my sistas, "Do what you feel is best for you and yeah we know how the system works but we have to learn how to work the system."

Sorors bring up the best topics!

OO-OOP to all of my 2000 sands!!!!
Old 08-30-2000, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I just recently got my haircut down to a natural, and I love it to death!!! I have gotten more compliments with this hairstyle than any other hairstyle I have ever had. I had always wanted to go natural, but I didn't have the nerve. I am truly glad I made the decision that I did. I don't feel that just because I wear my hair natural that I am more Afrocentric than any of my Black sisters. I just feel that I am expressing who I am through my hair style. Black women are beautiful regardless if they wear a perm, natural, or weaves. We are individuals and we should express ourselves individually.

Mahogany
31-LZ-00

P.S. The men love my natural.
Old 09-05-2000, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Peace to my Dynamic, Salient and Temperate sorors of Delta Sigma Theta, IINNNCCCorporated!!

I have worn a short natural since 1993 and I love it. After I graduated, my hair was a mess from perm-neglect. I cut it off and never looked back. If and when I grow my hair out, it will be in dreads.

I say do what is best for you (cuz ya' kno' er-rybody cain't wea' da' same stylz!!) and don't be ashamed. We all need to be prepared to defend our decision (to go straight or nappy) or just let it go.

Old 09-06-2000, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings all:

Just adding my two cents to the topic. I relax my hair to keep it manageable - I grew my perm out at one point, and my hair was lovely, but extremely thick and I couldn't get it under control. I like the manageability of my hair, but the idea of "going natural" is very appealing. I will probably end up growing dreds sometime in the future.

FYI: Here is an interesting article about a woman's decision to lock her hair after years of relaxing.
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...5224/LOCKS.htm

------------------
"Queens shouldn't swing...if you know what I mean.."
Old 09-11-2000, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting topic. I am quite proud to say that I have had natural hair for 4 and 1/2 years. Yes, it is some work. My hair is long, not the hanging down way, but the poofing out way. When I take just a blow dryer to it (which I usually don't), it is huge. I mean, honestly, in so. cal, I haven't seen natural hair this big/long in my memory. But it is doable.

About versatility, it really can be versatile. It's not as easy when you're hair is short, but once you've got a few inches, you can do anything. People are always saying my hair is in a different style every time they see it.

And no, I don't think that being black is about how you do your hair. Being black is not a choice one can make, anyway. BUT, I do think it a shame that many black women would not even know how to take care of their own natural hair, that we know the altered version but not the natural one. I've actually had black women ask me how I do my hair because they've never even known what it was like to have their natural hair. I think that's kinda sad, but that's just my opinion. In the long run, a person is better off with hair that makes them feel comfortable and hair they like, however it is styled.

And that comment about black men not even wanting to speak to you if you have natural hair, well, that's a whole other topic. But I must say . . . Naw, wait, I'm not going to say it. But I will say that the majority of compliments on my hair come from non-black people and the majority of seminegative statements and criticism about my hair come from other black people. That may just be because they feel they can say things like that to me since they are in my own group, but I don't know. The compliments I get the best feelings from, though, come from other black people who can look at my hair and appreciate the beauty.
Old 09-11-2000, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Sorors, I have worn my hair in a short natural since 1993 when it all broke off because I was not able to keep up my perm. I can say that it was truly a great decision for me. My hair and scalp are healthier, I spend less time (and money!) on my hair and, thankfully, the style complements my bone structure.

However, when the the time comes to grow my hair out, I will grow into twisties and then into dreads. I love my natural self!!

I believe your hair should complement your personality and your lifestyle. I do not believe that your hair should represent the extent of your political or social belief system. I have run across some politically backwards and socially unconcious (sp?) sisters sporting 'fros and braids. So don't let the nature fool you.