GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 767
0 members and 767 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2000, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Changing Faces: African Americans in Politics

(topic taken from Blackplanet)

Republicans love Colin Powell and Clarence Thomas. Will the GOP nominate a presidential candidate of color before the democrats?

(my questions)

Is Colin Powell a threat to the democratic party? Is the democratic party losing its flair to African Americans and other minorities to the "changing" agenda of the Republican Party?

Old 08-03-2000, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
History gurus correct me if I'm wrong...but way way way back in the day most Blacks were Republicans.

Now, being an observer of many things, what I'm seeing here are the blacks "keeping their enemy in front of them". This is a tactic used often and if played right can be beneficial. I don't know. I try to leave politics alone after working on Capital Hill for a year in Congress..it is a cut-throat industry. People die, peoples' deaths are planned (Mickey Leland, Ron Brown).

Gore is going to have to "come on with it" on Aug. 8th when he announces his running mate. It SHOULD be a female if he wants to WIN!

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99
Old 08-04-2000, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DirectorDST99:
History gurus correct me if I'm wrong...but way way way back in the day most Blacks were Republicans.

Back in the day.....I can't believe i actually remember this, but what we consider the democratic party was the republican party. What we consider the republican party was called something else (was it the whigs?)

Ok that enough for me...any history buffs out here?
Old 08-04-2000, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Ms. Director, I have to give you a big YOOO-OOOP! Man you always come with it when you post here. I must say that I wholeheartedly agree with you on what you're saying. Yes it's true that most blacks were Republicans back in the day. I think it was because the Democrats were in the South championing slavery.

Anyway, Al Gore is gonna have to come with it in on Aug 8., and the Democrats are gonna have to come with it in LA for the DNC. I do agree for him to win now, he's gonna have to pick a woman for his VP in order to have a chance of winning now. I forget the woman's name who he was considering for a possible candidate. But George W. Bush did a smart thing when he picked Dick Cheney. Now I know that his voting record is deplorable. However, Mr. Cheney has had a very illustrious career in Washington. That was a great coup for the Republican party. Damn when my frat brother Tavis Smiley says that the Democrats are gonna have to come with their A game, you know it's serious. Things are about to heat up in the political arena.

In closing I must add, no matter which way you vote, vote. Our ancestors bled and died for us to have some of these freedoms we take for granted now. The days of grandfather clauses and reading test are not far from our past, so please vote. And you're not registered, please get registered. This should be something that the entire NPHC get involved with annually.

Greek Love

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 08-04-2000, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

He does need a woman, but I just read in the paper that the woman he was considering, N.H. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen has said she is not interested....I will be too sad if we have yet another Bush in office.
Old 08-05-2000, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
www.BeAVoter.org

Thanks for the props Sir Nupe.

Gore needs the woman. This is the year, the season, etc. for women breaking the glass ceiling. Bush definitely DOES NOT have the female vote.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99