GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,036
1 members and 1,035 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-06-2000, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Will it ever end?

Columbine Student Hangs Himself

Seventeen-year-old Greg Barnes, Columbine High School's star basketball player, hanged himself on Thursday in an apparent suicide. "It's a somber mood at Columbine High School," said Jefferson County School District spokeswoman Rick Kaufman. Just two weeks ago, the school recognized the one-year anniversary of the massacre that left 14 students and one teacher dead. Barnes's suicide is the latest tragedy to strike the Colorado school. Friends said he did not seem depressed or angry. He had been a witness to some of the shootings on April 20, 1999, including that of teacher Dave Sanders. Last year, Barnes told Sports Illustrated that he saw the teacher and coach "take two shots, right in front of me." After he was notified of the suicide, varsity basketball coach Rudy Martin met with his players at the Barnes home. "I didn't know what to tell them," Martin said. "I don't know what to tell my own kids. For two years, their hero has been Greg Barnes." He said he had no inkling that Barnes was suicidal. "He stopped in and talked almost every day," Martin said. Barnes was also a good friend of one of the dead students, Matt Kechter. "Matt always waited by the mailbox for his little brother to come home from school," Barnes told The Associated Press after last year's shooting.
Old 05-06-2000, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Red face

I have no idea what is going on in that city, but they need serious PRAYER.
Old 05-06-2000, 01:08 PM
c&c1913

Obviously, everyone has not dealt with their feelings over the shooting. Even if that may have not been his "main" reason for committing suicide, I'm sure it was a factor. I think that they may just have to build another school and tear that one down. The town has been labeled and when something happens (like the double suicide a few months ago) the media and everyone re-opens old wounds. Plus, they've released the videotape of the crime scene. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to see it, except maybe law enforcement for training purposes, but for anyone else what good would it do?
Old 05-07-2000, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Unhappy

I thought they should have torn dorn the school after the shooting. I also think they should have disbanded the "trenchcoat mafia" as well. They bust up "known or suspected" gang members all the time in schools in Cali, they should do the same thing to those teens full of hatred. It's not over, as we can see. Targeting minorities and Christians!

There was this one Latina there, who almost got shot, and her eyes and story still haunt me. I pray for her in particular.

Take care,
Salience

------------------
@~~^~~~~
Subtlety is the key ;o)