GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 991
0 members and 991 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2000, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Post How to inform?

Did anyone else have a problem with their parents & Rush. Neither of my parents went to college & are not against my joining a sorority, but just don't see the big deal. I try to explain the 'why' & 'what for' to them, but they don't understand why I'm so interested or excited. Any advice on how to inform them??

Allison

------------------
A mistake at least proves that somebody stopped talking long enough to do something.
~ Anonymous
Old 10-11-2000, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Allison,

I can send you a copy of the NPC brochure that is directed at parents.

Barb
Old 10-11-2000, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Allison, first of all try to imagine how confusing the whole system is to parents who are not familiar with it. Had I not been Greek, I would have been blown away by the first bill...almost $1000 for the semester. That does not include my daughter's incidentals for date party T-shirts, trips, etc. She went to jr. college for a year like you, so I was able to budget for this, plus I wanted it for her. But to someone who did not do this themselves, it would be total confusion and seem like an unnecessary college expense.
My advice would be to stress that you will work hard to keep your grades up. Most non-Greeks have an image of frivolity and partying, so you will need to dispel that. You sound like a hard worker, tell them that will not stop. Also, stress philanthropy and service. And also friendship, I have lifelong friendships through my sisters.
I really do understand where your parents are coming from if they are completely unfamiliar. But you sound sincere, explain all the positives involved and not only assure them you will not participate in the negatives but show them by your lifestyle.
If you want more "motherly advice" email me, lol.
Susan
Old 10-11-2000, 02:28 PM
kuu_kuu

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-T Pie:
Did anyone else have a problem with their parents & Rush.
Some campuses are realizing that the parents of rushees may not be knowledgeable about Greek Life, and may get their perceptions from movies like "Animal House". Here is one college website which has a page directed at parents: http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwss/greek/parents.htm

Old 10-11-2000, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Barbara
I would really appreciate being sent that broshure. I will e-mail you with my info in a bit. Thanks for the help!

Susan
I love the motherly advice. My mom did not go to college so she honestly does not know what lays ahead of me. I'm sure this just adds to her uneasiness about my leaving in the spring. I would say that for what she knows, she is supportive. She allows me to visit the sorority house & hang out with the girls. My dad is just like "whatever you want, but I don't understand why?" I can understand his view also, because he is very sports oriented & would rather see me on the softball team than attending a social I think I am looking forward to next semester so much, because of the fact that I grew up surrounded by guys & all (but 1) of my friends are male. I have met the girls in the sorority in which I'm interested in & honestly believe I have found GREAT friends. I am continuosly trying to show this to my parents

Kuu_kuu
Thank you very much for the website..I will definitely be doing some reading tonight.

Again, Thank you all.

Allison
Old 10-11-2000, 08:28 PM

Cool

Hi Allison,
My parents didn't "get it" at first either. Neither of them went to college. My mom has never been a joiner - thought the PTA, etc. was for the birds - but when she saw how excited I was, she was cool with it. My pop was kind of worried about the cost, but I just referenced the fact that he is in Masons and that costs money, and it's worth so much more than he puts in. If you put it in terms they are familiar with, it helps make them feel a little more comfortable with it.
Old 10-11-2000, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hi!

You mentioned that you were 17- my parents were concerned when I went off to a large university and rushed at 16. My mother had grown up on the edge of the campus and had witnessed a lot of the beer parties and so forth. She'd also seen a lot of heartbroken girls during rush.

What won them over was when the pledge chairman described our scholarship program to them and they saw that by darn, that sorority was going to ensure that we made good grades. My parents also realized that it would be the fastest way for me to make friends in a state where I knew no one. So what you want to stress to them would be the scholarship, the friendships, the leadership skills you'll learn, and the service you'll perform!

Just a little more motherly advice!!!
Old 10-12-2000, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

33girl
Thanks for mentioning that I should try to relate things. I know just what to relate them to!

Carnation
You were 16?! WOW, that's awesome. I know that my age has a big part to do with my parents concern. I can't blame them for worrying My mom & I just had a gab/bonding session about 5 minutes ago. She saw that I was reading the board, so I decided to tell her about everything that has recently gone on. I think she feels a little bit more at ease, especially when I explained to her that I was gathering information for her to read. I think she's realizing that I want her to be a part of my experience too.

Thanks soo much!

Allison