GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,321
4 members and 1,317 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 10-10-2000, 01:33 AM
concerned

Post Rules - discipline

Hi
My question is about rules. In my sorority which is an up and comming glo, we don't really have any rules regarding behavior except for alcohol use at events. Do other glo's have rules that govern how they can act the rest of the time. Or for example we had a pledge show up for a meeting drunk. She wasn't disruptive or anything, BUT THE GIRL WAS DRUNK! And what about punishment we have been using a fine system for not attending events. Does that work for other things or what else do you do. I am very concered and I'm confused about what I should do.
Old 10-10-2000, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I hate to tell you this darlin' but the fact that this girl showed up drunk to your meeting IS a disruption. This young woman may have other issues going on in her life and may need to seek some professional counseling.

You mentioned that you are an up and coming glo. I don't like to assume anything but I will assume that your group is a local? Do you have a greek council on your campus? If so, why not consult them? See how they might handle that type of situation. What about your advisor?

Most orgs have some sort of point system.
Points given to members for attendance at functions. Fines (or points taken away)are given to members who miss important functions like Rush or study hall.

Does your org have a constitution? Usually the orgs mission statement and guidlines/rules fall somewhere in there.
http://www.geocities.com/localsororities

you might want to check out this site for really good info re stuff like this

X girl

[This message has been edited by theXgirl (edited October 10, 2000).]
Old 10-10-2000, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

A pledge showed up to a meeting drunk?!?!?

That tells me that she's either an alcoholic (harsh, but why get drunk before meeting?) or she's trying to get kicked out before initiation. It's a big smack in the face to the members that thought she was of good enough character to be a member.

Members need to show good character. In otherwords...if a sister is acting like a big skanky ho or big ole drug addict, her a$$ needs to be pulled in front of your displinary/standards group.

Punishments in my chapter:
fines are the most popular--we need the money and it hits close to home. Girls want to hold to as much as they can.

extra community service
extra study hours
grunt work--"Hey, we need someone to go to the other end of town to pick up helium tanks and all the decorations for rush. Thank you so much for volunteering to do that!" Or if you have a house...extra chores.

Another biggie--revoke social priveleges. Of course that doesn't work on girls who never go anyhow.

Last resort-- only used in the extreme!
EXPULSION--she's outta here, and it let's nationals know that she is definitely not a member in good standing!
Old 10-10-2000, 04:12 AM
GreekChat Member

SoCalGirl hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-12-2000, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that showing up drunk to a sorority meeting is downright disrepectful. However, some medications may have the same effect on a person as alcohol. If she was on medication but it was said that she was drunk, it could have a very negative effect her reputation. While not defending the behavior, make sure the assessment is accurate.
Old 10-12-2000, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Concerned,
Do your bylaws for the chapter address this in any matter? If not, you might want to consider drafting something. However, do so in a way that doesn't make this pledge feel she is being singled out. If she made a poor error in judgement, ensure she is aware of everyone's perception, and see if she is willing to change her ways. If not, it's best to ask her to leave before she, one person, gives the chapter, the many, an issue on campus.