GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 965
3 members and 962 guests
MTSUGURL, SweetHomeStL

Old 10-09-2003, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Membership Question

A quick Greek question and who better to ask then GC!

I have a best friend from high school who went to a college that didn't have a greek system. However, he has to go to our local university (CSULB) to finish up a couple of units through the (CSU open university program which allows fellow CSU students to take credits at another CSU) that does have a greek system. He will be there for a semester or two and his best friend is a SigEp there and would love to rush if possible. So, my question is, is it even possible for him to rush? He will not actually be a full student at this university and will actually get his diploma from his original school but I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) that fraternities and universities (especially at a commuter school like Long Beach) are as harsh on policies of student status of members. Also, don't some fraternities have the policy that allows students to pledge at their nearest chapter if one is not available at their college? And last question, do any fraternities have Alumni Initiation?

Okay...sorry that was a lot of questions but he asked me about it instead of his friend because he felt wierd about asking him and I had absolutely no idea and neither did my boyfriend.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Check with the natl. GLO office.

Check with the natl. GLO office.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Actully, I'd say its between him and the chapter. He is a University student and not a member of a fraternity so I would say good luck with rush and hope he finds a chapter, and hopefully his friends fraternity will be a good fit.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with hoosier about checking with the Fraternity in question.

But the norm is:

To be accepted and initiated by a Fraternity, said student must be a full time student carrying specified amount of college hours. Usually, the minimum is 12 hours of credits.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-12-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom Earp is right. You have to be a full time student at the University/College the chapter is at.

Any sort of other situations would have to be approved by the general/inter/national fraternity.

**hijack**
Here's one question I have. I don't know about you guys and your pledge programs but ours is very geared towards freshman who haven't spent been in college. I look at it and think that anyone who is really established at college wouldn't appreciate the experience and rules...particularly after having been on their own for more than a couple of years. I mean we have required study hours, limitations on when pledges can drink alcohol if they choose, cleaning duties, song tests and lore tests, required campus involvement, etc. I also wonder how well the junior or senior is going to be able to relate to the others in his pledge class, I mean there are parts of our ritual that practically say that the men in your pledge class must be your closest friends.

However all this being said, we always get questions like this on GC. I just wonder how many of these guys we get questions about really would like the whole experience of being a pledge, and if they end up thinking that the time input was worth it when they have plenty of other things going on, that a freshman/sophomore would not.

Sorry for the hijack, but its just something I've noticed as I've gotten to become old balls in the house.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Betarulz, I love the old balls in the house statement!

Not to disagree at all, but I pledged a Fraternity at the age of 23. After I got booted, I started my own Local which affiliated LXA at the ripe age of 25.

Might it not be true that as flexible as the Human Male/Female is that they could not adapt?
Sometimes, it is good to get someone who has a few chin whiskers to help the younger new members.

Sometimes new Associates do need a little more guidance.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-12-2003, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Betarulz...I think that the age level for pledging varies throughout the country. I know that here on the West Coast, it is pretty normal for juniors and seniors to pledge especially at commuter schools like Long Beach State. Also, at UCLA, junior transfers were the norm in every fraternity and sorority up and down the row because of the high percentage of transfers to UCLA due to the rigid admission standards as a freshman. I think this is generally pretty common in nearly every Greek system school in the West coast. However, I completely understand your question especially after learning of the cutthroat rushing in the south where freshman make up 99.9% of the pledge classes and thus they can gear their pledge program accordingly.

In regards to my question...
I think my friend is going to talk to his friend and see what he thinks. Honestly, I don't think that Long Beach rigidly stands by all of their membership rules; it is a pretty laid-back system and from what I have heard from friends in the system so hopefully it will all work out for him.

But keep the GC knowledge coming if you all have any more advice!

Also, does anyone know if fraternities have alumni initiation like sororities? I was thinking that this may be a possibility for him later in life.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Can only speak for LXA,but it it has to be someone who proves himself by working with the Chapter and is bestowed for wothiness. An honor to so speak.

After reading the many threads in Alum Thread, I wish that Fratrernitys would open up a little more!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-12-2003, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
After reading the many threads in Alum Thread, I wish that Fratrernitys would open up a little more!
I don't. Not everyone can be a Theta Chi. That is just the way it goes. I'm sure other ACTIVE UNDERGRADUATE Fraternity Memebers would feel the same way about their respective orgs.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SplitzSTG Send a message via Yahoo to SplitzSTG
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
I don't. Not everyone can be a Theta Chi. That is just the way it goes. I'm sure other ACTIVE UNDERGRADUATE Fraternity Memebers would feel the same way about their respective orgs.
Exactly. My Chapter wins everything on my campus. From Greek Sing, to All-Sports, to Scholarship (3.34 chapter GPA w/ min Indiv. 2.9 - 27 active brothers). Not everyone can be a Sig Tau.

Our first rush, we extended 15 bids, however, those bids were dependant on at least a 2.5 GPA. We also require membership in at least one non-greek campus org. My chapter is selective based on GPA, attitude, leadership, and citizenship. We dont let just anyone get initiated. To do that would take away from all that we have built.

(Oh, and for the record, I was 25 yrs old when I was initiated last March.)
Old 10-14-2003, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Our pledge process is geared more towards older pledges then younger ones, but it can change depending on the semster. This semster we have 3 juniors and one sophmore. I don't think your friend would feel weird being an older pledge if it's normal at the school

Patriae Multae Spes Una