Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,565
1 members and 1,564 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-22-2003, 02:53 PM
ztawinthropgirl

New "Philanthropy"

I already posted on the DG forum that a DG alumna passed away on June 14th, 2003. She had a rare disease called Wegener's Granulomatosis which acts like a cancer. She had an article written about her 17 years ago in People Magazine.

The reason why I am posting is to see people's opinion on my starting a "philanthropy" in her name. What would the interest be? It'd be like the Susan G. Komen Foundation. I'd start raising interest in the disease, money for research in new treatments and possible cures, and education and support for those unfamiliar with the disease and those who suffer from and have family members suffering from WG.

I'd still talk with her mom and dad (my aunt and uncle) and her sister about the whole thing of a foundation bearing her name. I would just like to know what kind of interest there'd be so I'd know somewhat of a reaction from the general public would be before I talk with my aunt, uncle and cousin.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:50 PM

That sounds like a wonderful idea.

We have so much power as members of sororities to get the word out, wouldn't it be awesome if our efforts could help raise awareness and stamp out a disease? My favorite sorority philanthropies are those that I wouldn't have heard of if it were not for GLO support (like AST and Pine Mountain School, etc).
Old 06-27-2003, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
That does sound like a great idea. Good Luck
Old 08-05-2003, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that is a wonderful idea, I was just thinking you could also do a scholarhip in her name too.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

that is a great idea. i think it also makes something a little more personal when you know you're working for a cause that was affecting another sister, even if you don't know that sister personally. i know AEPhi adopted the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatrics AIDS Foundation as one of its national philanthropies b/c Elizabeth Glaser, an alumna of AEPhi was the founder of the Foundation (she caught AIDS from a blood transfusion and unknowingly passed it on to her children).