GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,151
2 members and 1,149 guests
John, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-01-2003, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Dirty Rushing at Bama

A girl i know recently(as in..Friday) graduated high school and is going to Alabama in the fall. I was talking with her parents today and they said she was planning on going through recruitment there. Her dad said she receied intivations LAST YEAR(as in, Jr. Year) as well as this past year to go to parties with a few certain sororities. Wouldn't this be considered 'Dirty' Rush? Even her mom said "Yeah, Kate was invited to Dirty Rush at XYZ". Does Bama have a Dirty Rush policy? I know that I have to fill out a form saying I may be in contact with a PNM and that I won't Dirty Rush her. Just wondering. I found this odd.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

From my sophomore year of high school on, I hung out at the university I eventually attended and became friendly with many fraternity and sorority members. Because of that, it wasn't uncommon for a sister of ABC or XYZ to call me up and say, "Hey, there's a party at so-and-so's that a bunch of us are going to. Want to meet up?" Is this the type of thing that happened to your friend? If so, it just seems to me that it is too far in advance to be considered dirty rushing. I'm no expert, though. Anyone else?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Many schools invite PNMs for a weekend to introduce them to Greek Life!

While visiting USM my senior year, my family and I stopped by the Greek Life table. I meet several ladies from all (at the time) nine chapters. I received a call two weeks later from the DG rush chair inviting me to stay a Friday night on their floor for Greek Week. I was one of many!

Over a year ago my cousin (you can read her rush story her on GC), spent many weekends at State and Ole Miss with the KD's and DG's for different events.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

My roommate's cousin goes to Bama and she is a Chi Omega there. She was "dirty rushed" by three other sororities. But it wasn't like they forced her to join their sorority. She was invited to some parties last summer at Bama which she attended and had a great time at. I know here at Ole Miss the same is practiced but it is more like once you are on the rushee list you get invited to parties and teas during the summer and your junior and senior years of highschool. I was invited to Kappa parties and Phi Mu parties in highschool. It didn't mean they wanted me more than the next PNM. I think that if a sorority member wants a PNM to join her GLO she will pursue other avenues, such as taking her out to eat, calling her personally, emailing her, etc. At Ole Miss, dirty rush does happen but as long as presents aren't bought for the PNM then it really isn't breaking the rules.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Well, my friend visited me my freshman year because she was interested in Florida Tech. It happened to be informal Rush that week and I took her to the activities with me. She was a junior in high school at the time. She loved my sisters and thought that being in a sorority was great. In some ways, I think it gave her a good perspective on what Greek Life was really like. She didn't join immediately when she got here, but she ended up joining last semester. After a semester she had a better idea of where she fit in, so she gave it a fair chance.

Getting a PNM drunk or something might be a little touchy though. She was a very good friend of almost 2 years. Barely knowing someone and getting them to party with your sorority and trying to convince them to join is a little different.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-06-2003, 06:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Bama IS very aggressive

My best friend is going to Bama in the fall and she spent every weekend in march up in tuscaloosa! she went to parties with the sorority girls and even stayed the night at the chi o house... she wasn't friends with any of the people before; from what i've been told about rush, it was definitely dirty rushing. I would be terrified to go to that school, they put girls under the microscope!!!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Dirty rushing definitely goes on at UA. The greek life office is fully aware of the situation, as is the Panhellenic Council. It's just kind of the way things are done there. Just because you are "dirty rushed" or invited to go to parties, teas, etc., doesn't mean that the sorority who invited you is going to give you a bid. It doesn't mean anything, really.

Edited to add: As far as I know, the sororities' nationals also know about what goes on. I know ours was fully aware of it and turned a blind eye. Like I said, it's not a promise of a bid or even a guarantee of being invited back past the first round. It's more like the sororities checking out the girls before rush begins.

Last edited by Bama_Alumna; 07-06-2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

It definitely happens and is not discouraged. But like BamaAlumna said, it doesn't mean anything. I think that usually it is more a case of the sororities trying to check out the PNM's than actually trying to recruit them.