GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,278
0 members and 1,278 guests
No Members online

Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC married girls

I have never heard of an NPC group not allowing a married girl to pledge. As a matter of fact, in mine, you have to GET PERMISSION to go alum early if you get married (married girl status) before you graduate. you are not allowed to go early alum just because you are married and we have pledged and initiated two women who were married and were wonderful for our chapter. Rare, yes, but I do come from a very "traditional" greek campus. One went through formal and the other informal. But we also like to think of ourselves as abit more open than most.

Honestly, i wouldn't hide it, but i wouldn't bring it up. Wear your ring, if they see it and mention it, no big deal. YOU ask THEM tons of questions. They will see that you are interested in them and that will make more differnece than them interviewing you.
If you do decide to lay the cards on table, make sure they know you are really interested in sisterhood and though married, you can still devote plenty of time to the sorority and you will be at the school for a long time and can devote energy to it.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

There are NPC groups that require chapter to obtain permission from advisors or national officers before pledging someone who is married. Many of those same groups require that women go alum when they get married or obtain permission to stay active. That being said, there are a lot more married women in NPC groups on less traditional campuses than there are at large greek campuses like UCLA and USC.

At Pepperdine, where many students get married while in school, most of the groups require the women to go alum when they get married. It depends on campus culture and the NPC groups that are there.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIBrandi

You will also need to find out if the orgabiztion(s) you are interested in allow married women to join as collegiates. When I pledged my organization had the rule that married women could not join as collegiates (we had a girl that was married but didn't find out til after she pledged), but I believe that has since been changed.
As far as I know right now with AOII if you're married you can choose. We have a girl that is married right now and she chose to go alum, but I was always under the impression that one could even be initiated as alum also. Wouldn't that be an option too?
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I talked to a member of the AOII Recruitment Team about this recently. Currently, a married PNM can pledge and become an initiated active member. She can later ask to become alum if the case warrents. A collegiate member who gets married has the option to stay active or ask to become alum. The only way that a PNM, married or not, can be initiated as an alum is if she meets AOII AI requirements.

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII*Azra-elle
As far as I know right now with AOII if you're married you can choose. We have a girl that is married right now and she chose to go alum, but I was always under the impression that one could even be initiated as alum also. Wouldn't that be an option too?