Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,502
2 members and 1,500 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 08-19-2001, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool If(2)...

If you were the U.S. General Superintendent of Schools, how would you run our country's schools differently? What changes would you make?
Old 08-19-2001, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Good topic...

Well since I went to a public high school that was DILAPIDATED (sp.?) and to' down I would probably concentrate on improving the conditions of the schools in the lower-income areas. It is funny how when you go across town to the more upscale neighborhoods, there are state-of-the-art schools with enough supplies for every student. I remember when I was in school we only had enough books to keep in the classroom (we rarely got books to take home...the only classes I can remember taking books home for were my math and science classes) and even then we had to share.
I believe funding for public schools was based on the property taxes for the surrounding area, so naturally the upper-class areas had better schools.
So, based on my experience, if I were on the school board I would try to ensure that funding for public school is distributed EVENLY among ALL schools and abolish the property tax funding.

BTW I like Chi_ZETA's idea...at my university we are required to take a diversity class and a class with a mulitcultural theme to graduate. I think it should start MUCH earlier than the university level, though. Like in elementary school.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

School all year round. In order to graduate you must take a racial sensitivity class and a decent human being class. Pay raise definitely for teachers. No tolerence clause. One offense with weapons , drugs, or fighting you are out. Stop glorifying these pregnant girls, put them in a special school. They are even having baby showers in school. How pathetic. A teenager with a baby is not cute. We had 2 pregnant 12 year olds last year.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to novella000
I would take more of a "Montessori" approach to how we educste our children. But that would only occur after dumping about a trillion more dollars into the Education budget... so we could more properly train the teachers, and PAY them for their work.