Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,533
1 members and 1,532 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 12-12-2002, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Status on Campus

I'm a membership education adviser, so that is why I have a ton of questions-- I'm advising a chapter that is on a different campus than where I "grew up in ADPi," o it's a learning process for me. Anyway, this site is such a great forum for talking to sisters and fellow Greeks-- why don't we get this reponse on Pride Online?!

What are some ideas I can pass onto the new leadership chair? The chapter I advise is adamant about raising their status on campus. They are a great bunch of girls, but their classification is probably as a "middle status" sorority. One way I see doing this is having greater visibility on campus by getting involved with more campus activities, etc. Their bylaws state they must be involved with at least two activities, but 1/3 of them are not involved with any activities. They are a house of about 75 women.

On a Panhellenic level, it would mean hosting events for Greek sisters to come to the house-- like a Greek Sister Study Break during midterms-- scholarship could promote the heck out of this.

What are some other ideas? We did Greek Letter Wednesdays at my school-- wear your letters campuswide. Maybe my girls should do "Pride Days" once a week where they wear letters?

Thanks for any additional ideas you have! I appreciate them-- this kind of help for one another is what makes us First and Finest!

Pi Love!
Old 12-13-2002, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

adpiucf,
Fabulous question, adpiucf! I think that women on campuses sort of get hung up on where they are in the "hierarchy" of chapters, but it can be used in a very positive way with the guidance of some good advisors. It is a great opportunity to learn goal setting, planning, and follow through.
In terms of "increasing status" I will say that the most effective way I have seen that done is;
a) concentrating on the having the best sisterhood experience one could ask for.
There is just something about women who are truly happy in their chapters that is inherently interesting to other people. You carry yourself differently if you know that you are truly enjoying the work you do for ADPi. So this means working on all the basics, Social, Service, Sisterhood and Scholarship. Make sure that there's one event per month that represents one of each of the values.
b) In terms of more "visibility" I found that Pin Attire days worked as well, if not better than "letter days." There's just something really wonderful about dressing to wear your ADPi pin. Your whole demeanor is different when you are wearing that; so when a chapter of women is vigilant about doing this each and every week, it starts getting noticed. Slowly, yes, but it does get noticed.
c) There's nothing like one extemely well executed charity event. One big event for RMH that's a lot of fun and allows participants from the other chapters as well as other clubs and teams on campus immediately increases recognition. It's also an amazing learning opportunity for the women you are advising.
PM me if you'd like some ideas for "big events."
Hope those ideas help somewhat...they are just my experience from my ADPi life and some of my closer ADPi girlfriends whom I asked about this particular question.
Good luck advising, it's a wonderfully rewarding experience.
violets