GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,062
0 members and 1,062 guests
No Members online

Old 10-12-2002, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Help!

Hi everyone! The Theta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi is taking a motion to PHC to get rid of our Guarenteed Bid process. For those of you who have never heard of this, it states that every woman that goes through the recuitment process, attends all of her parties, and follows the other rules/guidelines is guarenteed to receive a bid from a chapter. This means that women can not be dropped throughout the process and chapters must pickup women to manually put them back in the system. This has been a detriment to our greek system, so we're trying to get rid of it.

So my questions are: Have any of your campuses had this system at some point? Why did it change? How do you "care for the individual" when someone gets dropped?
Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
My campus has never had this system (at least not since I have been a student), but I can see why you want to get rid of it.

Has anyone had this system and thought of it favorably?
Old 10-12-2002, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

it does have its benefits, believe it or not. it has worked for us, but some of the evils of the system are outweighing the benesits now.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

After an NPC consulting team visit, our campus PH was advised to get rid of the "guaranteed bid." Previously, women who "played by the rules" (meaning they attended all events to which they were invited) and made it to the Preference Round were guaranteed a bid. Now, there is no guarantee at all. Women who are not matched and do not single intentional choice are eligible for snap-bidding.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
I hope I can explain how it worked on our campus right...If a Potential Member attended the maximum number of parties each day, and Preference Parties. Then, she listed the maximum number of sororities on her bid card (which was two on our campus), our Greek Advisor would find a Sorority for her. Whether that was through regular Bid Matching or Quota Addition. None of our Sororities on campus were at total, so Quota Addition wasn't a problem.

However, if a PNM Single Intentionally Preferenced (SIP), then she was not going to get matched up. There was a chance she would be offered a snap-bid by a chapter that did not meet quota, which there was two chapters on our campus. So the PNM had to be happy with both her number 1 or 2 chapters.

Our Greek Advisor explained that she wanted the maximum number of women in the chapters on our campus, but they needed to play by the rules.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 10-15-2002, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Quote:
Originally posted by DDDBean
After an NPC consulting team visit, our campus PH was advised to get rid of the "guaranteed bid." Previously, women who "played by the rules" (meaning they attended all events to which they were invited) and made it to the Preference Round were guaranteed a bid. Now, there is no guarantee at all. Women who are not matched and do not single intentional choice are eligible for snap-bidding.
PquinTrax can probably best answer this... I would think this would mean that no chapter on campus is eligble for quota additions, except those under campus ceiling/total after those later chapters have met quota.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

At our campus, quota additions can take place according to the green book guidelines... our chapter got two this year, plus a senior that was "free".

I think that the PH does its best to get everyone into a chapter, but the part referencing a "guaranteed bid" is removed from our campus policies. I think that the intention was that sometimes women don't match, even if they have "played by the rules" and it was inappropriate to imply that they would get a bid no matter what. At our campus, you can't receive a bid from a chapter at which you did not attend a Preference Event unless you are snap-bid.

I hope I'm explaining it appropriately... it's very confusing.