Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,408
1 members and 1,407 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2002, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss chapter on MTV Cribs

Hi all!

I was just reading the rush articles in the Ole Miss newspaper and found this article about MTV Cribs visiting the DG chapter. Did this ever happen? If so, does anyone know when it will air?

http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/dis...e?in_archive=1
Old 09-28-2002, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I found this on the DG website. Now, it does address MTV's Sorority Life, but I still would think that DG would shy away from any involvement with MTV, such as the Cribs program....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.deltagamma.org/mtv_sorority_life.html

Delta Gamma Fraternity Statement on MTV's "Sorority Life"
August 1, 2002

When word spread that MTV would be filming a "reality" television program on sorority life, National Panhellenic Conference groups immediately recognized the enormous public relations risk. MTV executives contacted Delta Gamma's officials, who promptly answered that our collegiate chapters would not be participating in or be at all affiliated with "Sorority Life."

Producers settled on a small, local sorority, but Greeks everywhere waited with guarded optimism. Regardless of the show's focus or participants, they knew that viewers with no other frame of reference would form blanket generalizations of Greek life from this carefully edited program.

The Greek letters "Delta Gamma" appear in the opening credits of Sorority Life, but their appearance was added without the Fraternity's authorization. Delta Gamma Fraternity does not in any way endorse or promote MTV executives' take on sorority life and is currently in the process of having the Greek letters removed from the show's opening credits.

Founded in 1873, Delta Gamma Fraternity is an international women's fraternity with more than 180,000 initiated members. Delta Gamma offers to women of all ages a rich heritage based on principles of personal integrity, personal responsibility and intellectual honesty. Its primary purpose is to foster high ideals of friendship, promote educational and cultural interests, create a true sense of social responsibility and develop the finest qualities of character.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as the focus isn't boys and booze I don't see why it would be a problem. I think it would be a great opportunity to show off a beautiful house. And there was the DG on the Becoming show (she "became" Britney Spears) and they filmed that outside of her chapter house. I don't know if anything happened after that, but I would think as long as there isn't a negative connotation that DG wouldn't mind MTV.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
As long as the focus isn't boys and booze I don't see why it would be a problem. ..... I don't know if anything happened after that, but I would think as long as there isn't a negative connotation that DG wouldn't mind MTV.
I think the problem with MTV is, let's face it, sensationalism sells.
They are the type of network that will take sound bytes and put quotes from members totally out of context, and then Ole Miss DGs could potentially have a PR mess to clean up on their hands. I think it is too much of a potential liability to undertake, knowing what MTV is like.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SLUdg217
no go

I actually visited the OLE MISS house last spring. They were really excited about it but EO gave MTV the NO GO on coming into the house. I can understand why! Do you know that the girls that did SORORITY LIFE on MTV were forced to keep doing the show. They hated every minute of it! MTV just likes to twist things the way they want!

ITB,
Liz