Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,415
5 members and 1,410 guests
BillWitt27, Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII, Titchou

Old 10-06-2024, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Hurricane Helene (aftermath & devastation)

Been so busy with other things I really haven't been keeping updated with all the news about this.

I knew Hurricane Helene was probably bad, but I had absolutely no idea how bad Hurricane Helene was until today. In 2004 I inadvertently ended up experiencing the eye of the storm (or very close to the eye of the storm) in Hurricane Charley. What I experienced and saw then was really bad, surreal at times, but nothing like this, at least where I was.

Just watched a bunch of videos on YouTube about the aftermath of Hurricane Helene.

As far as I can tell, it seems that Western North Carolina was hit terribly hard by Hurricane Helene. Asheville, NC and surrounding areas. I'm sure other areas as well in Florida, Georgia & Tennessee. Maybe more.

Some areas were absolutely devastated. In some places, a catastrophe.

There are many people who have suffered terribly and continue to suffer the aftermath of Hurricane Helene.

Please say a prayer for those impacted as I'm sure they need it.

Feel free to use this thread as a both a general discussion about Hurricane Helene as well as a place to post links to fundraisers, charities & etc that you believe we should support. I'm sure those who have been most impacted will need a lot of help to recover and rebuild their lives.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Here are a few YouTube videos if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8IKat8FDME (11 minutes) - Flood waters were so high they had to get on the roof; roof eventually collapsed; grandparents & 7 year old did not survive. Not sure but this may be the first time I've seen a news anchor in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZU2OKFCY_g (2 minutes) - Tree landed on their home, mother and her two month old sons did not survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwF-bGv74lI (2 minutes) - News channel reports that the water was 30 feet high; video footage from apartment literally shows a building floating down the flood-"river" then getting ripped in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2IJROJ_2U0 (7 minutes) - Original cell phone video; looks like their property turned into a river loaded with storm debris; the entire house torn from it's foundation, starts floating away.

Saw a few other videos, one where a lady is pointing out to the YouTuber spots across the river where there were homes. Totally gone. One home just had part of the chimney still there. Some were able to evacuate their homes, went to higher ground and had to stay in the woods for days. Drone video showing homes along the river literally torn in half.

Another mentioned a church with 200 people who had been without food for 6 days. And another video reported on parents and their baby, had to escape out of a window... mother passed the baby to the dad outside then in no time the house was floating down the river, with the mom in it who apparently is now missing.

So many more stories like that. All so tragic.

Some mention that this flood was higher than the previous high in 1916. Heard many mentions of this being a 1000 year level flood.
Old Today, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

❤️