GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,281
0 members and 1,281 guests
No Members online

Old Today, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

WIFLSRN: Last night at like 2am, my allergies came on really strong. So, I got up, took two Benadryl, got back in bed, sneezing and snorting, and I now just woke up, but I woke up to several “Where are you?” text messages from my friends for our coffee chat session this morning. I way overslept, lol. Benadryl gets rid of my allergies, but boy, does it knock me out.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; Today at 12:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Today, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
lololol
HILARIOUS! I am laughing SO hard at what’s in bold. In my experience, guys will do that. They’ll tell you what you want to hear so they can be together with you. I mean, that’s been my experience. I hope he’s not like that with you though.

He brought up marriage like really fast, Dee! lol. So, what did he say he’d do when you told him that if you did marry, it wouldn’t be Catholic? I mean, he’s like bouncing all over the place, since he just converted last year, lol. He’d have to convert to another faith again if he wanted to marry you.

I went through something similar with my husband. So, I can’t marry outside of my faith. I was born and raised orthodoxy (Greek orthodox). He would have to covert to orthodoxy, get baptized again, and then meet with my priest for several weeks to learn the faith, in order to marry me. He said he wasn’t doing that, so I converted to his faith, lol. He’s Protestant, non-denominational (it’s kinda like a Baptist church). I mean, it was just easier that way. So, I totally get the strict faith rules.
As of now, he says he's ok with not getting married OR getting married outside of the Catholic church. We'll see if it becomes an issue later. Since feeling ostracized from the Catholic church, I attend an Episcopalian church which has all the same rituals but without the rules. Women can be priests, they are open to gay marriage, they are welcoming of everybody. That might be an option later. You don't really have to go through any kind of conversion process and everybody is allowed to take communion.
Old Today, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Just because you divorced in the Catholic church, you can’t marry again Catholic? Wtf?
There is a process to have the original marriage annulled that is lengthy, expensive and not guranteed. It essentially declares that the marriage wasn't truly a union in God's eyes. My first marriage met the criteria for a number of reasons but the second one does not meet any of their criteria. They will not allow me to marry in the Catholic church again and if I marry again, they say I cannot take communion. I ignore the second half of that and take communion when I want to. I don't think they are the people to decide whether I can celebrate the Eucharist and ingest Christ's body and blood. That's between me and God. Why men who aren't even allowed to marry get to make these decisions is beyond me. I have a deep personal relationship with God and an organized religion isn't going to tell me what that should look like. I'm well aware that I broke a covenant and I'm not going to be punished my whole life for it.
Old Today, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
As of now, he says he's ok with not getting married OR getting married outside of the Catholic church. We'll see if it becomes an issue later. Since feeling ostracized from the Catholic church, I attend an Episcopalian church which has all the same rituals but without the rules. Women can be priests, they are open to gay marriage, they are welcoming of everybody. That might be an option later. You don't really have to go through any kind of conversion process and everybody is allowed to take communion.
Hmm.. lol. Let’s hope it doesn’t. Just have fun and enjoy his company.

You two have an art fair outing planned this weekend? Have fun, Dee!
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old Today, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan vs Minnesota today for the Little Brown Jug, CG.

GO BLUE!!!!!
Old Today, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I ignore the second half of that and take communion when I want to. I don't think they are the people to decide whether I can celebrate the Eucharist and ingest Christ's body and blood. That's between me and God. Why men who aren't even allowed to marry get to make these decisions is beyond me. I have a deep personal relationship with God and an organized religion isn't going to tell me what that should look like. I'm well aware that I broke a covenant and I'm not going to be punished my whole life for it.
I agree.

Whose “covenant” did you break? It definitely wasn’t God’s. You’re 100% correct. The relationship you have with God is between you and Him, and nobody else.

What has always confused me, since I was just a kid, are all the different church names and practices, when in Matthew 16:18, it clearly says that Jesus said “On this rock I will build my church", but He never said what kind of church.

The confusion started when folks added and “changed” His original plan. I put “changed” in quotes because it is impossible to change anything God originally put in place. Folks can dress it up, make it sound good, make up their own rules, and call it God’s rules, and even say it’s normal and okay, but His Word still can’t be changed, whether folks choose to “change” it or not. People still haven’t learned that.