GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,398
6 members and 1,392 guests
JayhawkAOII, KDKells

Old Today, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

It looks like Hurricane Helene is headed for a direct hit on Tallahassee. I worry about the campus and all that beautiful historic architecture.

I wonder if our Fl. State Greek houses will all be boarded up and the members evacuated?
Old Today, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

If this mayor of NYC serves any time at all (if he’s convicted), while Trump walks around free, playing golf, I’m going to be done.
Old Today, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
I believe God is real and I believe the Bible is real, but God’s way takes too much time, thought, and energy, PB. I like what humans have changed it to - Quick and easy, with no thought Lol!
😂 You’re a trip, man. I’m glad you know He’s real though. Because He is real and the Bible is true, then Christian morals are grounded in reality and should be adhered to in order to live healthy and fulfilling lives. There also isn’t an ounce of evidence that a sexually free society is more advanced or more liberated than a sexually disciplined one. Just as unrestrained sexual lust can ruin a life, it can also ruin a society. That’s why a sexually immoral society will be one in which people are hurt and hurting, which is what’s happening now.

Keep it up, and you’ll learn “quick and easy” how hard things will get when you don’t do it His way.

Quote:
If this mayor of NYC serves any time at all (if he’s convicted), while Trump walks around free, playing golf, I’m going to be done.
Let’s wait and see.
Old Today, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
😂 You’re a trip, man. I’m glad you know He’s real though. Because He is real and the Bible is true, then Christian morals are grounded in reality and should be adhered to in order to live healthy and fulfilling lives. There also isn’t an ounce of evidence that a sexually free society is more advanced or more liberated than a sexually disciplined one. Just as unrestrained sexual lust can ruin a life, it can also ruin a society. That’s why a sexually immoral society will be one in which people are hurt and hurting, which is what’s happening now.

Keep it up, and you’ll learn “quick and easy” how hard things will get when you don’t do it His way.
True. Shit is beyond effed up. I’d get right if statistics weren’t what they are.

Lol what you said at the end of your post reminds me of the movie Fatal Attraction. Shit got real hard for him over one decision. TonyB06 and I used to message each other all the time about the same thing you just posted. He was trying to get me right back then. I like women too much Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
Let’s wait and see.
Wait and see what? When he’s cuffed and booked? Our justice system is beyond bullshit.
Old Today, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Was thinking of another way to explain what the forum software is doing with the very long threads...

Imagine you're in a library & ask for the September 2024 issue of some magazine. The librarian then proceeds to gather up every single copy of that magazine, something like 10 years worth of issues, a giant stack. Carries it all over to you, looks through everything, then gives you the one magazine you wanted, leaves with the rest of the giant stack to return them to the shelves. That's sort of what the current forum software does with the very long discussion threads.

And in the new/next forum software version of that example, the librarian would just find the September 2024 magazine and hand it to you. Nothing else to do. Much more efficient that way.
Hmm…. I’m still lost. I’m kidding, John! lol

Thank you for explaining it. That makes total sense. That’s how I need it explained, lol. That’s really wild how that works. I’m more excited about the new software than I was when you originally explained it to me on the buy a coffee thread. I mean, now that it makes a lot more sense. I guess I just don’t understand the terminology. I gotta have a mental image, like you explained it, to really get it. You explained it perfectly.

Quote:
Wait and see what? When he’s cuffed and booked? Our justice system is beyond bullshit.
We don’t have a “justice system”. We have a legal system, but I wouldn’t call it a justice system when it only applies to certain people. It’s supposed to be “No one is above that law”, but that’s not true.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old Today, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
lol
Hilarious! What did he say when you told him how you feel about marriage? Where was he with that? Would he do it a second time? I can’t remember if you said he had kids or not. Does he have kids?
He has two sons, ages 26 and 28 who live on their own. So all of our kids are adults with their own lives.

The discussion started because he asked if I was free to marry in the Catholic church- had my marriages been Catholic weddings, were they annulled, etc. He just converted to Catholicism last year and there are a lot of rules there. Both of my marriages were Catholic and the first was annulled but the second was not. The first easily met Catholic criteria because he withheld sex when he gave up sex for Lent while we were married. That’s one of the possible criteria for annulment in the Catholic church. The abuse could have been criteria also, but it was harder to define as it was more mental than physical, etc. I didn’t have clear cut criteria with my second marriage so no, I’m not free to marry in the Catholic church.

I told him that I’m very wary of marriage because both were so disappointing and messy and hurt me a lot financially too. I let him know that I used to say I would never marry or live with someone again and my ideal situation would be his and hers condos with an adjoining door that I could lock when I wanted to (LOL). I’m past that – the last relationship (can’t remember what I called him here, but he had bulldog puppies) – made me more amenable to the idea of living with someone.

I said that I am very capable of making a lifelong commitment to someone and very much wanted a partner for the rest of my life without the legal ties of marriage. I also noted that, since we each have kids we probably want to take care of when we pass away, if we ever did decide to marry, there would have to be some heavy duty wills or trusts or something to make sure our kids got what we want them to have. For example, I have a life insurance policy which is enough for my kids that my daughter can pay off her student loans and my son could pay off his mortgage or pay for his kids college, etc.

I told him about how my dad’s wife screwed me and my brother over royally because my dad didn’t make provisions. He did put us as beneficiaries on one account he had that gave us a little bit, but his wife sent me a box of about 4 items- the things she decided we could have. She kept all kinds of things that were from my childhood or from my grandparents who she never even knew. She sent me FOUR things for me, my kids and my brother. Two were Christmas decorations. One was a watch for my son. She gave my daughter a framed poster. When my dad’s widow passes away, her kids will get everything. It makes me crazy. I’m not doing that to my kids.

So yeah, there’s a lot. He claims that he’s fine with it all. I hope he’s not just saying that because it’s early and he wants to please. I’m afraid it could be an issue down the road. But then again, maybe I’ll decide I want to be married to him? It won’t be in the Catholic church though.
Old Today, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
He has two sons, ages 26 and 28 who live on their own. So all of our kids are adults with their own lives.

The discussion started because he asked if I was free to marry in the Catholic church- had my marriages been Catholic weddings, were they annulled, etc. He just converted to Catholicism last year and there are a lot of rules there. Both of my marriages were Catholic and the first was annulled but the second was not. The first easily met Catholic criteria because he withheld sex when he gave up sex for Lent while we were married. That’s one of the possible criteria for annulment in the Catholic church. The abuse could have been criteria also, but it was harder to define as it was more mental than physical, etc. I didn’t have clear cut criteria with my second marriage so no, I’m not free to marry in the Catholic church.

I told him that I’m very wary of marriage because both were so disappointing and messy and hurt me a lot financially too. I let him know that I used to say I would never marry or live with someone again and my ideal situation would be his and hers condos with an adjoining door that I could lock when I wanted to (LOL). I’m past that – the last relationship (can’t remember what I called him here, but he had bulldog puppies) – made me more amenable to the idea of living with someone.

I said that I am very capable of making a lifelong commitment to someone and very much wanted a partner for the rest of my life without the legal ties of marriage. I also noted that, since we each have kids we probably want to take care of when we pass away, if we ever did decide to marry, there would have to be some heavy duty wills or trusts or something to make sure our kids got what we want them to have. For example, I have a life insurance policy which is enough for my kids that my daughter can pay off her student loans and my son could pay off his mortgage or pay for his kids college, etc.

I told him about how my dad’s wife screwed me and my brother over royally because my dad didn’t make provisions. He did put us as beneficiaries on one account he had that gave us a little bit, but his wife sent me a box of about 4 items- the things she decided we could have. She kept all kinds of things that were from my childhood or from my grandparents who she never even knew. She sent me FOUR things for me, my kids and my brother. Two were Christmas decorations. One was a watch for my son. She gave my daughter a framed poster. When my dad’s widow passes away, her kids will get everything. It makes me crazy. I’m not doing that to my kids.

So yeah, there’s a lot. He claims that he’s fine with it all. I hope he’s not just saying that because it’s early and he wants to please. I’m afraid it could be an issue down the road. But then again, maybe I’ll decide I want to be married to him? It won’t be in the Catholic church though.
lololol
HILARIOUS! I am laughing SO hard at what’s in bold. In my experience, guys will do that. They’ll tell you what you want to hear so they can be together with you. I mean, that’s been my experience. I hope he’s not like that with you though.

He brought up marriage like really fast, Dee! lol. So, what did he say he’d do when you told him that if you did marry, it wouldn’t be Catholic? I mean, he’s like bouncing all over the place, since he just converted last year, lol. He’d have to convert to another faith again if he wanted to marry you.

I went through something similar with my husband. So, I can’t marry outside of my faith. I was born and raised orthodoxy (Greek orthodox). He would have to covert to orthodoxy, get baptized again, and then meet with my priest for several weeks to learn the faith, in order to marry me. He said he wasn’t doing that, so I converted to his faith, lol. He’s Protestant, non-denominational (it’s kinda like a Baptist church). I mean, it was just easier that way. So, I totally get the strict faith rules.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024