Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,575
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,439
3 members and 1,436 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-20-2024, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats John on providing this avenue to educate and celebrate our Greek ties! NPC, NPHC, Honoraries, Locals, you made us all feel welcome. Thank you.
Old 08-20-2024, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn’t realize the extensive history of sororities until I found this website. Obviously I knew about mine, but not the NPC or NPHC. Reading Bound by a Mighty Vow was eye opening…as a woman, I definitely have a ton of respect for those that paved the way for us in higher education.
Old 08-20-2024, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post

Who are / were your favorite GCers?
Current GCers: PrettyBoy, AGDee, Scienwoman, aggieAXO, Phrozen Sands, and John.

Past GCers: agzg, Alumiyum, als (I forget the other part of her username), Tony, DaemonSeid, knightshadow, and I’m sure I’m missing a few others because I can’t remember their usernames.
Oh hi

=======================================

Happy 25 to the site. I don't log on as much anymore but pop in periodically. Met a bunch of people throughout the years and keep up with several outside of the site.

How did you first learn of GC?

Right after I crossed, I was on a mission to find any website that had resources that I could use for chapter leadership (since my organization was very green at that point). Stumbled upon this site and loved the conversation and inputs.

What is your favorite / most memorable GC story or all-time favorite GC thread?

All I can think about is the "yo yo it's ya boy k_s" shit that I posted early in my time here

Also, the gc chats and "meat in the sink" lmao

Who are / were your favorite GCers?

Everybody who put up with me for all the years I was on here lol

How has GC impacted your life?

Back in the day, there was a lot of information sharing that was super helpful, particularly for members of newer organizations. When I was more involved with my organization officially, I would pass along some of this information and it led to several changes within the group that have helped us grow and change for the better. Will always be grateful for that.

Old 08-21-2024, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I learned of this site looking for fraternity paraphernalia. I saw there were quite a few of my brothers posting, so I joined. However, I joined not knowing I’d end up meeting people here — having lunch with some members, pizza with one, and coffee with another. Definitely wasn’t my intention.

I don’t really have a most memorable thread, just memorable private messages that I purposely kept in my inbox all these years.

How did this site impact my life? It changed my life — hit me with a curveball that I never saw coming.

Today’s culture does not provide great encouragement for the nurture and development of deep, long-lasting, satisfying friendship. However, this site provided that for me. I now know that God will do more than what I could imagine when I simply release my faith in His Word. I’m glad I did.
Old 08-21-2024, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
I learned of this site looking for fraternity paraphernalia. I saw there were quite a few of my brothers posting, so I joined. However, I joined not knowing I’d end up meeting people here — having lunch with some members, pizza with one, and coffee with another. Definitely wasn’t my intention.

I don’t really have a most memorable thread, just memorable private messages that I purposely kept in my inbox all these years.

How did this site impact my life? It changed my life — hit me with a curveball that I never saw coming.

Today’s culture does not provide great encouragement for the nurture and development of deep, long-lasting, satisfying friendship. However, this site provided that for me. I now know that God will do more than what I could imagine when I simply release my faith in His Word. I’m glad I did.
Who’d you have coffee and pizza with? I know about the lunch outing because I read their posts about what you looked like, 2 pages long Lol!
Old 08-21-2024, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Who’d you have coffee and pizza with? I know about the lunch outing because I read their posts about what you looked like, 2 pages long Lol!
That was around the time when I was somewhat of a new member here, 2007ish. I had pizza with DSTPhiloso4 (I think that’s the correct sp.) and I had coffee with CG.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like I missed a long party on here. I don’t recognize 99.9% of the folks everybody is mentioning in their posts.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
^^^

I LOVE this thread!
I completely agree!
Old 08-25-2024, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I just realized I was 16 when GC started.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 08-29-2024, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
And then, there was the whole Prune Tacos scenario!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I didn’t even know about Prunetacos…one day I was randomly reading an article about Ivins and I saw “Greekchat!” It was a weird moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Prune Tacos was by far the Creepiest thread.
For me the prunetacos news was probably the absolutely most jaw dropping moment with GC.

I recall checking on things with GC after having not been on the site for a few days. Nothing was working at all. Not a single page or image would load.

So, I got ready to work on fixing whatever server problem was causing this. But, I couldn't even login via SSH to work on things. That got me thinking maybe it was some really bad hardware failure, maybe all the hard drives were trashed & irrecoverable or something like that.

I ended up having the datacenter pull the plug on the server to see if it would restart & get going again, which it did. Fortunately there was no major hardware issue to deal with that time. Looked like it was just a big traffic burst which completely jammed the server up for a bit.

After that had happened I remember thinking that maybe some major site linked to GC or maybe GC was just growing more site traffic wise.

Some GCer, probably a moderator although I don't recall who, mentioned that I need to search the news for GreekChat.

So I went to Google News, searched for GC and...

That was quite a shocking jaw dropping moment to see/learn that.

I recall there being close to 4000 news article results returned in that Google News search. Newspapers all over the US, probably mostly their digital editions, had short articles mentioning GC and referencing the larger story reported by The Washington Post. There must have been so much traffic from all those articles that it completely seized up the server for a while.
Old 09-06-2024, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Who would have thought that Greekchat would impact so many lives?

When I joined GC in 2000, my last baby had just been born. I was 46 and the baby is now in grad school. My oldest had just pledged AOII at Ga Southern. I can't count how many friends I've made, both online and IRL (I have met many). One of my daughters is Greek now because some GCers rallied after recruitment and got her introduced around; she met her now-husband at a fraternity party and they have 5 kids, thanks to FSUZeta and Penguintrax!
carnation, ever since you told me about this GC story of yours quite a few years ago it has always been one of my favorites. Probably my top favorite.

Makes me

And how perfect it was that you ended up being the first to reply to this thread and share that story!
Old 09-06-2024, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I haven’t really used this site in ages but it’s good to see so many folks are still around. Cheers to 25 years!
Old 09-06-2024, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
carnation, ever since you told me about this GC story of yours quite a few years ago it has always been one of my favorites. Probably my top favorite.

Makes me

And how perfect it was that you ended up being the first to reply to this thread and share that story!
Awww, thank you so much! You really have no idea how many people that GC has done great things for in real life. We appreciate all the effort you've put into it!
Old 09-14-2024, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
I feel like I missed a long party on here. I don’t recognize 99.9% of the folks everybody is mentioning in their posts.
Saaaaaaaaame.

Can't believe GC was only 2 years old when I first started posting in college. I'm more of a lurker now.