GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,265
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,120
0 members and 1,120 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2024, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

SDSU Recruitment

So the latest Tik Tok rush/recruitment obsession is SDSU. From what I learned it used to be a smaller commuter school but has had a huge increase in student population, which means more PNMs going through rush. But the amount of dropping there is insane, more than I've seen from other "competitive" akin to the south. So excuse my ignorance, but the main question I have is, was it always a super competitive campus, or is this a more recent development?

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-06-2024, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
So the latest Tik Tok rush/recruitment obsession is SDSU. From what I learned it used to be a smaller commuter school but has had a huge increase in student population, which means more PNMs going through rush. But the amount of dropping there is insane, more than I've seen from other "competitive" akin to the south. So excuse my ignorance, but the main question I have is, was it always a super competitive campus, or is this a more recent development?

IMO this is a recent development. Fun personal fact, my DG chapter initiated this group in 1985. There are a few factors to consider that IMO would make this campus attractive for those who want to enroll and join Greek Life.

SDSU is a popular choice for in state and out of state students due to its location closer to the beach. Over the years it has gained a well earned reputation as a fun party school unlike UCSD and some other CSU campuses. Also it does offer NCAA D1 sports like football that many California state schools have dropped in the past decades.
Old 09-06-2024, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

By dropping, do you mean PNMs who don't get asked back to their top chapters and drop out of recruitment in the first couple of rounds instead of being willing to take a new look at their remaining invitations?
Old 09-06-2024, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
By dropping, do you mean PNMs who don't get asked back to their top chapters and drop out of recruitment in the first couple of rounds instead of being willing to take a new look at their remaining invitations?
That's what I think. Getting completely released is uncommon and considering people obsess over a "top 3" I guess many dropped if they didn't get any of those.

Since 1888

Old 09-06-2024, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I'm not sure where you are getting your information. I am a former employee of SDSU and was an Advisor to three chapters there. SDSU didn't "used to be a smaller commuter school". (Who are you talking to???????????) SDSU is one of the flagship CSU campuses and would routinely trade places every year with Cal State Long Beach for most applicants. There are several high-tower residence halls and popular sports teams. Even back 15+ years ago it was crowded and before that, in the 80s and 90s, it was a top-ranked party school. Not some quiet podunk commuter school. Our Greek Life had, and still has, a respectable level of participation and enthusiasm. Have you ever been to San Diego???

True and Constant
Old 09-06-2024, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

She's repeating what is being reported on TikTok. A current student has several TikToks discussing her experiences with SDSU including the housing situation and Greek life.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo View Post
She's repeating what is being reported on TikTok. A current student has several TikToks discussing her experiences with SDSU including the housing situation and Greek life.
Right. Because a teenager on TikTok is the font of knowledge about what SDSU allegedly used to be like.

True and Constant
Old 09-07-2024, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Right. Because a teenager on TikTok is the font of knowledge about what SDSU allegedly used to be like.
Ha! SDSU is on my niece's and son's shortlists for schools and nieces has been obsessed with this series of TikToks and it's driving my sister in law crazy. I just sent her your response to give a little more perspective.

College decisions are not for the weak.
Old 09-07-2024, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo View Post
Ha! SDSU is on my niece's and son's shortlists for schools and nieces has been obsessed with this series of TikToks and it's driving my sister in law crazy. I just sent her your response to give a little more perspective.

College decisions are not for the weak.

SDSU is a great all-around choice.

True and Constant
Old 09-07-2024, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah there's been a lot of hype around it. Why I came here to ask any questions since naturally there's much more knowledge on here than Tik Tok (though nycgreekchic is a great page).

I am wondering how much tik tok has affected the recruitment process as a whole in the current. While yes stuff like greek rank and certain social media sites have been around for a good while (and just general word of mouth even longer.) I feel like tik tok in particular has taken the process to a whole new level of polish that hasn't been seen since the old days of frills.

Since 1888

Old 09-07-2024, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's what I think. Getting completely released is uncommon and considering people obsess over a "top 3" I guess many dropped if they didn't get any of those.

That is a shame.