GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,018
0 members and 1,018 guests
No Members online

Old 07-08-2022, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

That was also the case at Vanderbilt. I think only 5-6 officers and a house director lived in each sorority house when my friend was a member there. I don't know if things have changed more recently.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Do organizations with officer-only housing have a kitchen and a meal plan?
Old 07-08-2022, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyDays View Post
Do organizations with officer-only housing have a kitchen and a meal plan?
Typically they would all have kitchens. I would think meal plan would vary based on each campus chapter. But, I would assume that the kitchen in the smaller houses would mainly be there for the women who live in the house to use on their own - breakfast, lunch, etc. I doubt they'd have a cook/chef and the space to cook for the entire chapter. But, I could be wrong.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Southern had kitchens.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok we have just finished our last planned college visit and the preferences have been updated:

Tied in first place:
Dads Alma Mater (12 NPC, 10 with houses, 2 without)
InState Rival U (soooo many orgs, all housed, legacy)

Middle choices:
Moms Alma Mater (sooooo many orgs, all housed, probably won’t get in realistically)
Dark Horse State (out of nowhere! Wasn’t even considering it! 7 NPC, no housing)

Safety options:
TooFarAway U (too small, 4 NPC, legacy, not sure about housing? They used to have chapter-designated dorm housing but they tore those buildings down and have not reinstated sorority floors elsewhere on campus yet.)
Hometown U (too close to home, 10 NPC, chapter-designated dorm housing)
BadWifi State (seriously, that was her main complaint. Also small, 6 NPC, no housing)

So there is still a chance

What an exciting time for you and your family! Best of luck to your daughter as she makes her decision.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

At Vanderbilt, kitchens but no meal plan.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

After I graduated my uni was going to start a dorm living community for anyone who was in a greek org and gave priority for those who wanted to live with their sisters/brothers. For places that sadly still have laws for greek houses (and I did read the brothel thread), it seemed like a good option, especially since they were going to do projects and such with the entire greek community, which could only bring good.

And for Squirrel, I can understand being unable to share a legacy and sisterhood with your rosebud. I assume my dad went through the same when my brother attended a college that had his org but he decided to go with another that he found his home in. But he shared his happiness that my brother found a home, which my middle brother would later be welcomed into with open arms as an in house legacy. Let's hope she has an amazing recruitment and finds her home, wherever she fits!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story

Last edited by Cookiez17; 07-10-2022 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spelling Corrections
Old 09-24-2022, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, my friends, she decided:
Dads Alma Mater with no Alpha Gam chapter, but with very high scores on her career goal certification exam, and a marching band that welcomes all with no audition.

Don’t mind me I’ll just be weeping in the corner. Gonna get it out of my system and then I will cheer her on loudly during recruitment next fall. At least this way I don’t have to worry about whether or not she likes my Sisters… or even worse, whether they like her
Old 09-24-2022, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I can imagine what you are feeling. My girls (twins) preffed ZTA but ultimately chose another group. For a brief moment, I could see the three of us being sisters, but it was not to be.
Their new Chi Omega sisters ended up being my friends still to this day and they all pledged in 2006.
It is so hard to believe that much time has passed.

I miss those days so much even though I am a grandmother now.
Cherish this time with Rosebud!
Old 09-26-2022, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Some fall activities, band, cheer, fall sports, don’t allow their members to rush in the fall when they are busy with those activities. Your daughter needs to find out if those restrictions apply at her intended school.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

TY FSUZeta. The band director did say flat-out “can’t play and rush” during our tour and I thought “surely he’s exaggerating” but maybe he was serious.

Last edited by SquirrelyDays; 09-26-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

The cheer coach at Southern used to say that and still does but nowadays, some cheerleaders go Greek anyway. I can't believe that some coaches/sponsors still get away with that.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I would be very surprised if ALL of the organizations pass on the chance for cheerleaders, musicians and athletes. She might have fewer options during informal but I am optimistic that she would still be able to find a home. Fingers crossed
Old 09-26-2022, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
TY FSUZeta. The band director did say flat-out “can’t play and rush” during our tour and I thought “surely he’s exaggerating” but maybe he was serious.
That's how it is at Auburn. At least, that's what happened with my pastor's daughter. She couldn't rush because of band and got her bid through informal.