Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,361
4 members and 1,357 guests
amIblue?, Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-07-2002, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae associations

I posted this message in my own sorority's forum, but I wanted to put it here too and get the opinion of other greek alumni, thanks.

Have any of the alumnae here ever gotten involved with alumnae associations/chapters that weren't your home chapter?

I'm living in a new area and there are two chapters that are relatively local to me, that I'm thinking of trying to get involved with.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with this that they can share?
Old 08-11-2002, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

While the alumnae chapter I'm in mainly works with my own collegiate chapter, we also work with a second chapter in the city.

Honestly, most of the members that work as advisors are not from these collegiate chapters. They really bring fresh ideas to the collegiates.

It can be hard on a collegiate to hear "Well when I was in the chapter we did it this way." When it comes form an alumna from another chapter it seems more like she's sincerely trying to help instead of reliving her glory days.

Plus, it drives home the fact that they're part of a National sisterhood and not just one chapter.

Go for it!
Old 08-11-2002, 11:36 AM

Our alum chapter in Northern Virginia has sisters from something like 20 different chapters (mainly because so many people in that area are transplants). I've met them and seen them interact and they are close as can be. My alum chapter is mainly made up of women from my collegiate chapter except for one or 2, but they fit in fine.

I think that every sorority should have a program like DZ's, where there are alumnae chapters (all alums in an area, regardless of collegiate affiliation) and chapter associations (everyone in the collegiate chapter, regardless of geography). It gets a lot more women involved.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Our alum chapter in Northern Virginia has sisters from something like 20 different chapters (mainly because so many people in that area are transplants). I've met them and seen them interact and they are close as can be. My alum chapter is mainly made up of women from my collegiate chapter except for one or 2, but they fit in fine.
Funny that you mention northern VA, because that's where I'm living right now!
Old 08-16-2002, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

While you can not have to many Advisors (?), we have had some from the Local Chapter!
One of my Brothers is now Advisor to Il. St U!

We always try to have a member of the Faucalty even if when they prove themselves to be somewhat worthy ( Hang with us and advise us) as The Advisor! Why, they very well can be a laison with the School!

# 599 is our advisor as he was found to be strong enuff to keep the faith and work with us!

His son is now his Brother, Neat Huh!

While we as somewhat as advisors tell war stories on how we did it, it does help to have someone there to advise the younger people!

Agree or disagree?

LX Z # 1
Alumni