GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,154
0 members and 1,154 guests
No Members online

Old 11-29-2000, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Is it permissible to educate high school seniors (i.e. Grade 12's) on NPC rush?

Hi there,
I was thinking about this board and how many girls who are in their Senior year of high school. Many of them don't know anything about rush or Greek Life, but are curious about sororities, what they're all about etc., and they have so many questions with no one to direct these questions to.

Is it permissible for the local Panhellenic to go into the local high schools to give a general presentation about Greek Life (in this context, I am referring to NPC sororities) at college and explain a bit about what sororities are, a bit about the Rush process, that kind of thing?

Please let me know if your town or local Alumnae Panhellenic does this, I'm curious.

Also, what about American teens overseas who are coming to the USA for college? It must be tough for them to find information (especially if no one in their family went Greek). Thanks to the Internet, this helps somewhat, but I would love to hear everyone's replies!
Old 11-29-2000, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

In my hometown, the local alum Panhellenic would come and do a presentation for the high school seniors every spring at the Civic Center. I don't think the high schools would've let them come since the topic was only of interest to some; anyway, they covered the basics of rush and got information from us for recommendations. I wish they did it here!
Old 11-29-2000, 08:01 PM

Lightbulb

Unfortunately, not every city has an active alumnae Panhellenic and a lot of the time the HS girls from more rural areas (like me) could probably benefit from it the most.

I think it is a great idea. I bet though that they'd have to be VERY careful to keep it strictly NPC oriented, to avoid any accusations of dirty rush or pre-rushing.
Old 11-30-2000, 03:53 AM
GreekChat Member

WOW! I really wish that they had something like that when I was still in school. I actually became a member of this board during the fall semester of my last year in high school & will be rushing this spring. I will say that if I had not come across this board while looking for a fraternity Christmas present I don't know where I'd be today. I have learned SO much from the board & now know what to basically expect. I think those general presentations are great & should happen in all places, because not all people got luck like me & ran across great info.
Old 11-30-2000, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Well when i was in high school, no one ever came to my school to inform us about Greek Life in college. Since i attended Baylor my first year, while i was still in high school, they would send me information on sororities. I believe that they also had like about 3 colleges at a time go to nearby cities and talked about their certain greek life. It would be like one night TCU and SMU came, and then another UT (only them since its a HUGE school) so you would go the night that your school came to visit. Another thing i heard was that like one night a couple of Baylor Alumni held a party for the prospective baylor students that lived in the houston area at their house. I heard this when i met a girl from houston up at baylor, but i did not know about it. I think these are great ideas, and it will ease the "new freshman" in to the college experience, since we all know it can be a bit overwhelming! I even took a while to adjust this year since i transferred schools, and knowing more about sororities going in to it helped a great deal

[This message has been edited by bucutie02 (edited November 30, 2000).]