GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,509
0 members and 1,509 guests
No Members online

Old 02-14-2015, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And it's also given birth to the hideous "srat." How do you even pronounce that?
Still have not figured this out, and I speak five languages, two of the dead. I do not get it at all.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't recall any negative connotations associated with "frat" when I was in college. I don't like it when "frat" is used as some type of synonym for inappropriate behavior.

Srat...ugh. I'm wondering if that arose as an amusing way to describe women's fraternities? It still seems strange to address a package to my daughter with "Pi Beta Phi Fraternity" -- so I write sorority, even though that isn't technically correct.

The other day she texted me to say she was "freezing her sratty booty off."

Another usage: "Srat Squat" -- front row women leaning forward for group pictures.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 02-15-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I'd say because when I heard it used it was always in the context of a "poser." So someone trying to pass for Greek or thinking it's cool to say so that they will be "in" - if you get my drift. One of those "bless his heart" sort of things....
Thanks Titchou. Given that context, I can understand your reaction.

What doesn't make sense to me is the reason I've typically heard: that it is somehow inherently disrespectful to shorten "fraternity" to "frat." This reason is often backed up by The Very Stupid Analogy involving ones country. That one makes no sense to me at all, especially since it leads to the conclusion that it's not inherently disrespectful to shorten the actual name of the fraternity (to something like Kappa Sig, Pi Kapp or Sig Ep), but that shortening the noun "fraternity" is terribly disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I always associate it with the most negative stereotypes. "Frat guy" behavior...
And that is generally the real issue, I think. Linguistically/etymologically, shortening "fraternity" to frat" is no different from shortening "the dormitories on the quadrangle" to "the dorms on the quad." It's a standard Englah practice that often suggests familiarity and often even affection—hence the references one can find in older writings such "dear old frat." But somewhere along the line, "frat" acquired a negative connotation for many Greeks, and that's why many GLOs and why Greeks on many campuses discourage use of it. I do think it's important, though, to remember that there are groups and campuses where the negative connotation hasn't been seen as so strong as to require avoiding the word altogether.

As for "srat" and "srat to," those are just terrible made up words that need to go away.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Sort of like when I came home from first semester at boarding school outside the south and said something was "bitchin'." Almost got me backhanded across the dining room.