GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,144
2 members and 1,142 guests
John, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-31-2001, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

My roommate from sophomore year went through rush and she was dead set on being a Theta. It was Theta this, Theta that and tons of girls from her hometown were Thetas. Pref day finally came ans she got Theta, Phi Mu, and DZ. She even drew little kites on the dry erase board on the inside of our dorm room. She couldn't wait for bid day..she just knew she would be a Theta. From the very beginning she wasn't crazy about Phi Mu but I bet you can guess what happened....she became a Phi Mu. And as it turns out she has never regretted it and realizes that she was looking at the wrong things from Theta never would have been at home anywhere besides Phi Mu. Besides that...as a result of meeting so many of her friends I became a Phi Mu too
So it was a happy ending on 2 sides because I never would have expected that I would ever become greek..and I wouldn't trade it for anything else
Old 07-26-2002, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

bump!
Old 07-28-2002, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hiya

There was this girl, I'm surprised I forgot her name she was a sophmore when I was a freshmen. She went to formal rush, she didn't get a bid from the sorority she wanted. So she tried the next time around *The time I went* and, again, she didn't get a bid from the sorority she wanted *My sorority* Third times a charm. She came back after I got initiated, and we didn't give her a bid again. The reason? She tried too hard.

The first time around she acted like herself, but we didn't feel she fit in with us *can't blame her* the second time she went in with a different head on her shoulders and was more easy going. She didn't get a bid again, because my sisters didn't think she could handle pledging. The third time came around and she didn't get a bid because she wasn't herself. She was a different person all together, and acted like the girl that she "thought" we wanted.

The moral of the story? Be yourself. Don't kiss up to any sisters of the sorority you want to be in. Down the line, the real you is going to show through and they don't want a sister that is fake. Just be yourself, smile, and have a good time. I was petrified that I wasn't going to get a bid. It doesn't always work out for everybody. So, just pick the sorority/fraternity you feel at home with and the sisters that you could really get along with.
Believe me, chances are the sisters are feeling the same way you do.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Two of my sisters didn't get their first choice. I am so glad they came to bid day. They both turned out to be great sisters even tho we weren't their first choice (one even became the VP). After the first week, they never looked back! Even if you don't get your first choice, give bid day a chance. You might be suprised at how much you like the sisters and the other new members. People are going to make you feel welcome! The other thing to keep in mind is that sisterhood is what you make of it. You can go to any chapter and find a niche! Sororities are filled with wonderful women with a variety of interests! There are going to be lots of ways for you to be involved and to have a great time. Have fun at rush and best of luck to you!
Old 07-29-2002, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

The sorority you "see" during recruitment isn't always the sorority as it really is. They are trying to make an impression the same as PNMs. When you turn in an interest sheet, perhaps you listed "soccer". So, in an effort to make easy conversation ABC pairs you with Miss All American Soccer Queen when you had a miserable year, torn ligaments, ball hogs and parents who pushed you into the sport. You could easily walk away with the wrong impression of the sorority. Two girls over was the active who loved going to plays and hanging out in a casual atmosphere, JUST LIKE YOU...but you never had the chance to meet her.

I honestly think some reps hold truth, but don't make the mistake of lumping all the women together because of some chance pairing. Give them the same chance you would have them give you. No matter how many WONDERFUL PNMs go through recruitment, there are only so many openings available. In house legacies, legacies, the close friends of several active members are initially the highest on the dream list. In many cases, this doesn't leave a lot of room. (In a competative rush) Not everyone can be an ABC or XYZ...there simply isn't room even though in your heart you think/know you would make a PERFECT XYZ. If you keep an open mind, you may realize you ALSO make a "perfect" EFG!